Samples sound dull on Nord Wave 2!!

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
angelogogo0

Samples sound dull on Nord Wave 2!!

Post by angelogogo0 »

All of the samples on my Nord Wave 2 sound dull. Do I always have to use the EQ section to brighten them up? Thank you.
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: Samples sound dull on Nord Wave 2!!

Post by DJKeys »

Make sure you turn on the filter. When a sample is loaded, it will turn the filter off my default. This also may depend on the signal chain of your monitoring system.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 26 Nov 2023, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author DJKeys for the post:
Marlowes

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
Jon Lukas
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by Jon Lukas »

Make sure you select the RAW SMP (raw sample) option in the oscillator section when you use your sample. Otherwise, the sound may be filtered by a filter intended to make acoustic sounds more realistic, which is separate from the synth filter.
Nord Piano 5-73, Omnisphere, NI Komplete, Logic Pro.
Electro-jazz chill: http://echofabric.com
sEIGu
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Post by sEIGu »

angelogogo0 wrote:All of the samples on my Nord Wave 2 sound dull. Do I always have to use the EQ section to brighten them up? Thank you.
Same here.

Startet converting my samples from NW to NW2 this evening. Any time, i need a semitone-correction for the sample, it's getting dull when tuned down. Compared to the NW if you do this, the sample remains clean.

For example:

Sample played on C4 tuned semitones 0 = Good.
Sample played on C5 tuned semitones -12 = Bad. Same done on NW = everythings fine.
Sample played on C6 tuned semitones -24 = Very bad. Same done on NW = everythings fine.

I do not use any equalizer. The behaviour disagrees to my understanding of using samples. RAW SMP = no change.
DanLong
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by DanLong »

I haven't found them to be dull, but they are not as loud as they are on my Fantom. I'm using mostly sound effects for a Pink Floyd band, stuff like the Money cash registers, etc. I even brought the original samples into Audacity and normalized the gain to get more volume, and they still play soft.
soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer »

sEIGu wrote:Startet converting my samples from NW to NW2 this evening. Any time, i need a semitone-correction for the sample, it's getting dull when tuned down. Compared to the NW if you do this, the sample remains clean.

For example:

Sample played on C4 tuned semitones 0 = Good.
Sample played on C5 tuned semitones -12 = Bad. Same done on NW = everythings fine.
I'd like to hear a comparison between the two, if you still have both synths.
I only had my NW1 and NW2 side by side for about a week to re-program my favorite patches. But that was long enough for me to decide the NW2 sounded pretty much the same, so I sold the NW1.
Nord uses some sort of compression algorithm for samples, so we have to assume the audio is band limited.