List of Nord Stage 4 known issues/bugs

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Jonatan_Paiva
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Re: List of Nord Stage 4 known issues/bugs

Post by Jonatan_Paiva »

Good morning guys. My nord stage 4 is apparently not receiving information from wheel. Even using the morph assign. Does anyone know what can it be? The version is the most current.
Lola D

Post by Lola D »

UPDATE After quite a bit of testing, I finally did a full reset on the DAW itself and that has eliminated the issue. In my (admittedly limited) MIDI experience, this ranks among the very odd ones. Thus the post below is no longer an issue.

[hr]
I've found that moving the Synth A slider, whether the A synth is on or off, causes the channel output of my connected DAW to cut off. If I create a new track, it does the same thing: move the Synth A slider, and that track is cut off. None of the other Synth sliders or controls (or anything else on the NS4, for that matter) causes this to happen.

I did update to NS4 OS 1.12. I am quite sure this did not happen when I was still using the shipped NS4 OS .98 as I was doing a lot of study and learning of the NS4 with the same DAW.

This may be a bug, but I am also open to it being something I have missed or overlooked. I am not strong on MIDI and the NS4 is new to me.

My forum post is here; nord-stage-forum-f3/stage-4-synth-a-sli ... ml#p167350
Last edited by Lola D on 05 Aug 2023, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Lola D for the post:
WannitBBBad
jonilikeskeys
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by jonilikeskeys »

You can copy-paste envelopes from one of the 3 envelopes of the synth engine to the other 2 - which is really cool.
But - it turns out - when you paste them, you also activate the standard SHIFT function of that envelope.

Example: You copy the AMP envelope and paste it to the FILTER ENVELOPE you will turn on the VELOCITY for that FILTER ENVELOPE.
Minor bug, but this time definitely a bug :D
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

jonilikeskeys wrote:You can copy-paste envelopes from one of the 3 envelopes of the synth engine to the other 2 - which is really cool.
But - it turns out - when you paste them, you also activate the standard SHIFT function of that envelope.

Example: You copy the AMP envelope and paste it to the FILTER ENVELOPE you will turn on the VELOCITY for that FILTER ENVELOPE.
Minor bug, but this time definitely a bug :D
As mentioned elsewhere, if you keep the Paste button pressed but release the Shift button before you select your destination, it works (at least for pasting to programs etc). So there is probably a work-around (not with my board now so I cannot check).

Sent from my phone in brevity
rnmetz4

Post by rnmetz4 »

I've encountered a issue, and I'd love some feedback:

Yesterday I updated to the latest firmware (1.12) and I have since noticed that I cannot control Synth parameters with any Morph control, while the Synth layer is not selected.
I don't remember this being an issue before the update.
This is noticeable mostly when utilizing KB Hold.

Here is a list of steps that can show an example of this issue:

Start with all the Piano and Organs Sections turned off, and the Synth section turned on and Initialized. We can load the first Synth Preset, Soft Pad 1 as an example.
1. Load Soft Pad 1 Synth Preset.
2. Turn on KB Hold
3. Shift+KB Hold to turn off Exclude for this layer.
4. Play something to have it sustain indefinitely.
5. Hold down the Wheel Morph Assign button and turn the Freq Cutoff knob to set a range for the Wheel to control.
6. Notice that the Wheel now correctly controls the set Freq Cutoff range.
7. Select Synth Layer B.
8. Wheel no longer controls Freq Cutoff for Synth Layer A.

Although the KB Hold is keeping the Synth from Layer A sustaining, the Wheel no longer affects the Freq Cutoff while another Layer is selected. Also, if the Wheel was engaged before switching Layers, any change made to the Freq Cutoff, and therefore any change in sound is lost upon switching Layers.

This issue persists using any parameter within the Synth Engine, not just Freq Cutoff, and using any Morph control, not just the Wheel.
However, you are able to assign Morph to control any parameter in the Effects Section with no issue upon switching Layers.

If anyone has ideas, I'd love to try anything.

**UPDATE** I've just reinstalled v1.08 and it's now working normally again. Please be wary of update v1.12, everybody.
Last edited by rnmetz4 on 18 Aug 2023, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by WannitBBBad »

rnmetz4 wrote:.... **UPDATE** I've just reinstalled v1.08 and it's now working normally again. Please be wary of update v1.12, everybody.
Hello, and welcome to the Forum! Please submit your bug to Clavia at Nord Support so it gets the proper attention and note it in the Google sheet. Thank you!
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
peterb
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by peterb »

I have taken the latest update for Nord Stage 4 HA88.
In the extern menu, there is an option to turn off the wheel for external keyboard fucntions.
It does not stop the mod wheel from controlling the volue the same way the slider in the unth external sections does.

Peter.
Kayj_prod
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Kayj_prod »

v1.14
Control pedal stops working as morph source. Entering pedal control settings restores behaviour. Exiting pedal control settings allows morph to continue for a short while before stopping again. I've been able to repeat this over and over. Yamaha FC7 works fine with NS2. I haven't tried using the control pedal as morph source for any other parameters other than synth level to see if it is isolated to just this function. (A job for tomorrow.)
Reported to Nord Support and entered on Google sheet ID47.
Nord Stage Classic, Nord Stage 2 88, Nord Wave
edwiles

Post by edwiles »

Setting a morph for the rotary speaker: the current STOP MODE on/off setting is not always correctly reflected in the "From" of the morph.
nord-stage-forum-f3/ns4-setting-a-rotar ... 24458.html
emielskey
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

sine not a sine

Post by emielskey »

in the synth section when one selects Analog/Shape sine/Shape sine fold, the waveform is a bit corrupted in its pure sine form. I have to attach an oscilloscope to see the waveform, but it certainly isnt a perfect sine. higher up the keyboard it gets more pronounced. the rest of the "shape sine" waveforms sound as expected