Patch vs Program == Same Thing?

Share your complete Nord Stage 4 programs/patches including sample sets used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
KenNord4
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Patch vs Program == Same Thing?

Post by KenNord4 »

Trying to understand the difference between Patches, Programs, and Samples

I get Program and samples, but what is a Patch in the nord context? Is it a Program or a Preset?
hordur
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Patch vs Program == Same Thing?

Post by hordur »

The terms "patches," "programs," and "presets" are often used interchangeably, but they can have slightly different meanings depending on the specific instrument or software being discussed.

Typically, a "patch" refers to a specific combination of settings that determine the sound produced by a synthesizer or keyboard. These settings may include parameters such as oscillator types, filter settings, envelopes, effects, and more. Patches are essentially the configurations that generate a particular sound or tone.

A "program" is often used to describe a stored or selected patch on a synthesizer or keyboard. It refers to a specific sound or preset that can be recalled and played. Programs are usually organized and stored within a sound bank or memory location of the instrument.

On the other hand, a "preset" usually refers to a factory-default or pre-installed program or patch that comes with the keyboard or synthesizer. Presets are often designed by the manufacturer to showcase various sounds and capabilities of the instrument. Users can select and play these presets without having to create their own patches or programs from scratch.
These users thanked the author hordur for the post (total 2):
KenNord4, analogika
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by WannitBBBad »

KenNord4 wrote:Trying to understand the difference between Patches, Programs, and Samples

I get Program and samples, but what is a Patch in the nord context? Is it a Program or a Preset?
On the Nord Keyboards site, Nord uses "patch" and "program" somewhat interchangeably; I've done the same going back to the 80s with my Prophets.
These users thanked the author WannitBBBad for the post:
KenNord4
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
SuperStage
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by SuperStage »

KenNord4 wrote:Trying to understand the difference between Patches, Programs, and Samples

In Nord Speak Patches are called Programs which are sounds and settings made up of a combination of sections and parts i.e. Organ A, B, Piano A, B, Synth A, B, C and effects. The Synth Section has both synths and samples. Presets are factory sounds which can be loaded into the various sections/parts. The NS3 had Song mode which was a collection of programs, which has sadly been discontinued on the NS4.
These users thanked the author SuperStage for the post (total 2):
KenNord4, analogika
SuperStage

Vancouver, Canada
Nord Stage 4 Compact, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Electro 5D, Korg D-1, 1959 Hammond B3, 1965 Leslie 122A
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

In my eyes, the term 'patch' is rarely used by Nord themselves at present. May have been different in the past.

You probably know that a program is a sound configuration for your whole instrument, whereas a preset is meant to be a preconfiguration of settings in a section (piano, organ, synth). The meaning has slightly changed from NS3 to NS4 as the effects settings are now part of any preset (which wasn't the case with the NS3 that only had organ and synth presets). You know that you now have a preset library and can easily put together individual programs with presets from the different sections (from single and multi layer presets in case of the piano and the synth section, only dual layer in case of the organ section).

If you know that a patch initially was a storable and/or selectable bunch of settings for a specific synth to represent a sound and is now used for a storable momentary configuration of multitimbral instruments, too, it is up to you what you mean by 'patch'. In my eyes, this is not a precisely defined thing in Nord context. Probably, most users will think of the modern (multitimbral) version of the meaning in the first place. I tend not to use the term 'patch' in Nord context.
Last edited by FZiegler on 08 Jul 2023, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post (total 2):
KenNord4, analogika
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
KenNord4

Post by KenNord4 »

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses!
EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC »

Not talking about Programs here. Patches in the Patch Library.

How many slots are in each "Patch Library"? Organ, Piano, & Synth.
Are they all set? Or are there empty slots for custom patches?
Live Boards: Nord Stage 4 HA73, Korg Kronos 88, Roland Fantom 06, AKAI MPC Keys 25, StudioLogic SL88|STUDIO, HydraSynth, MiniFreak, DeepMind
Live DAW: MacBook Pro, GigPerformer, Ableton Live, MOTU UltraLite mk5, AKAI APC64