output volume

Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
Orionn
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

output volume

Post by Orionn »

I have a NS3. With the same volume level on both the section and the general volume, I get different output levels on the PA. I guess the samples have different volume levels.
Is there a way to equalize that so in a live setting, I don't need to adjust the volume when moving between programs ?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Re: output volume

Post by maxpiano »

There is a parameter for that, see Utility Functions - Program Level (PROG LEVEL) on NS3 manual
(in general, it is a good thing to spend some time and read it all, to get a better knowledge of your NS3)
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Feb 2024, 09:10, edited 2 times in total.
Orionn

Post by Orionn »

Thx maxpiano, but the PROG LEVEL affects only the panels/engines of a single program. What I'm looking for is leveling the volume across programs of a Song for instance, or across songs.
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by cgrafx »

Orionn wrote:Thx maxpiano, but the PROG LEVEL affects only the panels/engines of a single program. What I'm looking for is leveling the volume across programs of a Song for instance, or across songs.
Yes, you'll have to go through each program and adjust and set those levels on each program to match per your taste and playing style. There is no automatic way to do it.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
Orionn

Post by Orionn »

Well, that is a bit annoying, but is there an indication of the output level per program so at least to have an indication ?
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

Orionn wrote:Well, that is a bit annoying, but is there an indication of the output level per program so at least to have an indication ?
Your ears or the mixer VU Meters or equivalent... consider anywya that for dynamic sounds (particularly pianos) the level depends also on your playing style (in general and for that song), so you cannot define its "output level", just the max ... many discussions already made on this topic, like this one https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stag ... 18875.html; bottom line managing the level across programs is an art and (yes) takes effort and try/adjust/retry cycles (and it depends also the final output device, what you her in headphoens may sound different than sending the same signal to a stage PA with subwoofers, for example) .
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Feb 2024, 15:47, edited 3 times in total.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

Leveling across all the programs in a performance is a long and tedious job. There is no "auto" button, but there are ways to make the process easier.

I start by establishing reference sounds and levels for a few programs, then do a back-and-forth compare between the new program and the reference one. I then roll through through all of them quickly. I lightly compress everything to help my sound stay well-behaved. On the NS4, you can create and re-use presets for each section which include volume settings, greatly simplifying the process.

You only can get your levels close ahead of time, never dead on, so I will also monitor the PA mix directly through my IEMs, and then use a volume pedal to place the keys precisely in the mix.
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post:
cookie
I think I have gear issues ....
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

The volume of a synth program may vary a lot depending on the filter, the volume of different samples may be the same even if they should sound totallly different by their nature, the volume of a harpsichord or a clav is much more percussive than an organ sound which will again affect the perception of the loudness; not to mention swell and drawbars on the organ. So there never can be a correct normalisation in loudness, and Nord even didn't try to get closer to it.

I started by setting pianos to -2 dB but never got the right relation between them and a lot of other sounds. I now think -9 ~ -6 dB could be a good starting point for standard piano sounds to leave enough overhead for those (synth) sounds which need more amplification.

In the end, your FX settings and use case may define which level is best.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
KeyBard

Post by KeyBard »

Just play everything at full volume! You know, like your bass player probably does. ;-)