Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead 2X performance mode issue with master

Postby pjfry » 20 Oct 2012, 14:16

Hello,
I'm trying to trigger the 2X with a Fantom X6 keyboard (basically for Roland's awesome arpeggio/pattern sequencer/chord memory/RPS mode)

When I switch to performance mode, playing with the FX, I can hear all the four slots even if they are off, and all the parts are layered even if I set a split on NL2X.

Basically, is there a way to have the same split/layer configuration while using an external keyboard?

Thank you for your time,
PJF
pjfry

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Nord Lead 2X performance mode issue with master

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead 2X performance mode issue with master

Postby mjbrands » 20 Oct 2012, 16:07

I think you need to tweak the MIDI setting on your NL2X. With the right settings, it should do what you want.

Have a look at the section on using the NL2X with a sequencer, starting on page 76 of the manual.

If you layered multiple slots (have multiple slots active in a performance), they listen to the MIDI channel configured for the lowest one (in the A, B, D example in the manual all three listen to the MIDI channel configured for slot A, even if B and D have other channel configured); this is because you layered them.

Apart from layering slots using the front panel of the NL2X, I'm pretty sure you can do it at a MIDI level too - for example, you could set A and B to channel 10 and C and D to channel 11 which would create two layered sounds each consisting of two voices (slots). You need to make sure that on the front panel of the NL2X you only have a single slot enabled in your performance. If you had (for example) slots A and C active in your performance, slots A+B+C would respond to channel 10 and slot D would respond to channel 11. Slot C reacts this way, because it is part of a layer (multiple slots active in a performance) and because of this it uses the MIDI channel configured for the lowest slot (A in this case). B responds this way (even though it is not part of the performance) because it was manually set to the same MIDI channel as slot A.

I don't have an NL2X anymore so can't verify the above stuff, but I think it is correct. Easy enough to test, of course. :D
Last edited by mjbrands on 20 Oct 2012, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Re: Nord Lead 2X performance mode issue with master

Postby elektron84 » 18 Jun 2022, 08:46

As far as I can tell the answer is no.

Although I came here looking for an answer myself and would love to hear any secrets anyone might know.
Last edited by elektron84 on 18 Jun 2022, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
elektron84

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum