Comments, suggestions, questions about this forum? Post it here! Also for test purposes or Off-Topic discussions.

Announcements / About this forum

Postby Johannes » 05 Mar 2009, 12:45

Dear all,

since the Nord USA forum (http://www.nordusa.com/index.php) ceased to exist in January 2009, the YAHOO group on the Nord Stage:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/nordstage/messages
seems to be the only forum at the moment dedicated to this nice piece of gear from Clavia. Besides, there is a small forum I just recently found on:
http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-166.html
This is why I decided to create a possibility more easily accessible for people potentially turned away by the fact that one has to have a Yahoo account to access this highly informative database.
Moreover, I wanted to create the possibility to easily exchange and discuss (in particular with the possibility to discuss and include MP3 previews) user patches created for the Nord Stage. From my own experience, in particular the Synthesizer section -while obviously being less versatile than e.g. the Nord Lead, still provides enough tweaking possibilities to create basically anything one might want to use as sounds. Given that it takes time and effort to put a decent sound together, I thought this might encourage people to contribute their sounds and test other peoples'. The possibility of directly uploading your patch files and MP3 samples that are converted to be played back directly in the browser hould, I hope, encourage us to get the best sounds out of the Nord Stage.

Given the highly increased traffic due to this forum I had to upgrade my webhosting account and plan to move this forum to its own domain if it really becomes a valuable resource.

If you have and suggestion or comment, please post it here!

Best,
Johannes Emmerling
Last edited by Johannes on 04 Sep 2013, 00:58, edited 3 times in total.

The author Johannes was thanked by:
Farfisameister
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Announcements / About this forum

Sponsor

Re: Announcements / About this forum

Postby Johannes » 25 Mar 2009, 00:07

Yeah, It is really a pity that all the useful information on the NordUSA forum is being lost...
And regarding the Yahoo group, I also really enjoy the lively discussion there. And I did not want to create a competition/otherwise redundant "NEW" forum.
My main motivation was to fully make use of the Synth of the Stage by providing an easy to use Soundpatch database with the possibility to discuss directly and in particular to provide an easy mp3preview functionality.

So today I added several RSS feeds for the whole forum or its sub-fora so just click in your browsers URL field and you can easily check the most recent posts without having to navigate through the forum.
cheers, Johannes
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 18 Nov 2009, 00:33

Hello,

just had to delete a bunch of users which seemed to be spammers grrrr annoying, and therefore introduced an additional anti spam measure - hopefully not too annoying!
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 07 Jul 2010, 18:39

Just for those curious why this forum was not available during the last days: My provider is phasing economic and technical difficulties and had a server crash while at the same time I moved to a new, more powerful and reliable server including more features such as larger file allowances etc. which will be better for future growth.

After four(!) days of fiddling with PHP javascript, different upgrade incompatibilities etc. the database is back as it was and I can sleep again. puh, or, I mean, practice the piano ;-)
Sorry for the inconveniences!
J

EDIT: For the moment, the only thing that seems to have been lost are the avatar pictures.
Last edited by Johannes on 21 Oct 2012, 13:31, edited 3 times in total.

Hanon_CTS
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 06 Sep 2010, 10:05

Sorry for the recent trouble with getting the in-post MP3s previews working. I finally changed some bits of javascript so now it works again I hope, please tell me if you still run into problems! Cheers J
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 24 Oct 2010, 18:54

Hi,
that might have indeed been caused by the restore of the database, maybe the subscription settings were not properly restored. Maybe you could just (a) in the User control Center subscribe to the FOrums you want or
(b) use the ATOM/RSS Feed feed.php (also available for each forum separately!)
(c) use the pure/strict (if your reader does not recognize Atom Feeds) RSS Feed syndication.php
Again sorry for the inconveniences - now it should and will not happen again.
J
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updating the Feed Links.
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 29 Dec 2010, 06:53

Just an update of ongoing works and future plans for this forum:
  • Improved structure of the forums (including integrating the OPEN forum into the different categories) DONE
  • Brainstorm potential extensions
  • Rethinking the forum and domain name
  • Improving spam and fake user accounts protection mechanisms
  • PLAY SOME GREAT MUSIC!!!
Happy new Year 2011 and all the best and thanks for all the support and encouragement!
Musicalement,
Johannes

Hanon_CTS
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 27 Feb 2011, 17:13

Dear all:

Almost two years after creating this forum, I just wanted to thank all of you for actively participating in this forum around the Nord Keyboards. With now 500+ members including 350 active last month and 10.000+ visitors per months, it has become (I think) a nice resource for Nord-ists (and those who consider becoming one) any personally I learnt a lot for my music making!

Last week, I started the new download section (accessibla from the top menu in the forum or on the right on the home page. There I plan to collect useful uploads or comprehensive discussions/posts in order to save them from getting buried in the forum.

I also want to introduce and thank toro.larsson and Cbas who have gratefully accepted to moderate this website on top of already being very helpful and kind in helping others out and sharing there experiences and knowledge!

Regarding the future, I am working on minor improvements and in particular an easier way to provide (somewhat crude but still better than nothing) translations as I have been asked by many non English speaking users.
Moreover, I am hoping to encourage exchanges of ideas to share the results of the sometimes hard work of creating sample sets. With the Nord Stage 2 on its way, there are now three instruments that can use user-created samples.
Also, I plan to move this website to its own domain; I will see what name is feasible also with Nord's name rights. (For the time being, I changed the name to Nord Unofficial User Forum given the interest in the Electros, the NP etc., will see what seems most appropriate in the end).

Feel free to express your requests, suggestions, critique or general comment as replies to this thread or PM me!

Have a nice day!

Johannes

Hanon_CTS
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 31 Mar 2011, 00:13

Recent changes:

ToDo:
*Domain for the Forum:
nord-user-forum.com kinda obvious, it is the best I came up with so far, not loving the two dashes though.
nord-stage-forum.com same problem and more restrictive
nord-forum.com is too general (like there is a forum about Nord Pas de Calais in France (remember Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis ;-) ) for instance) plus to close to NORD maybe.
*fancybox to feature music of people while surfing here (like on the greate website http://www.mauritsboegman.nl/)
*rating feature for topics

Feel free to send me a PM if you have a great idea so I can run a poll with some proposals or reply to this thread.

Cheers, Johannes
Johannes
Administrator

Postby Johannes » 22 Apr 2011, 15:57

Dear all,
so finally it seems to work, sorry for the occasional problems this afternoon but now all tests turned out fine.
So the forum has moved to a new server and is now available at

https://www.norduserforum.com

If you have any problems, please drop me a line (johannes@norduserforum.com), one way solving login problems might be to delete the board's cookie using the link on the right side at the bottom of the page.

Cheers, Johannes
Johannes
Administrator

Next

Return to Off Topic / About this Forum