Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

NE6 "External Keyboard to Lo" - only works one-way?

Postby Revan5159 » 25 Jan 2022, 10:48

I'm trying to find ways to integrate my desktop synths into my live rig, and I was hoping I'd be able to use my Nord as a keyboard controller for the modules with no keys. Currently, if I want to use my Nord as the keyboard for those other modules, I can only use one at a time, or have them both playing the same notes. I was trying to find a way to split the keyboard, and send MIDI from just one half to the external synth, then the other half would just control the Nord

The scenario I tried was like this: Keyboard Split activated, piano sound on top, nothing on bottom. In settings, Global MIDI set to OFF and ExtKb set to channel 3.. Unfortunately, it seems that the ExtKb function only RECIEVES MIDI from external keyboards.

Would be super cool to have the "unassigned" half of the keyboard controlling an external synth, then the top half of the split to play the sounds on the Nord. If the split zones could have independent MIDI output channels, I think this would be possible.. does anyone know if this is possible?
Nord Electro 6D (61), Prophet REV2 (8 Voice), Moog Subsequent 37, Yamaha DX7, Korg M50, MPC One, JU06a, Behringer Model D

The author Revan5159 was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
Revan5159

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

NE6 "External Keyboard to Lo" - only works one-way?

Sponsor

Re: NE6 "External Keyboard to Lo" - only works one-way?

Postby maxpiano » 25 Jan 2022, 14:16

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately on NE6 this is not currently possible, you can assign the Lo(wer) Part to receive on a specific channel, but transmission is only on Global and always full notes range (the NE5D instead had the feature you have in mind, but for some reason it has been removed on NE6 MIDI implementation, only Clavia knows if this will be changed in some future OS release or not).

As of now with NE6 you need to use a computer/tablet or MIDI processor box to manage that type of routing.
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 Jan 2022, 19:05, edited 4 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by 2 members, including:
Revan5159monsterjazzlicks
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 25 Jan 2022, 20:42

It's a shame that the MIDI routing is not the other way around.

I was looking to 'split' the NE6 in the middle - having the NE6 engine(s) being played by my right-hand (with the XV5050 silent); and playing bass-lines on the XV5050 with my left-hand (with the NE6 silent).
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 25 Jan 2022, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10

The author monsterjazzlicks was thanked by:
Revan5159
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 25 Jan 2022, 20:45

Hi Revan,

When you mention "desktop synths" do you mean boutique instruments, or VST's, please?

Thanks,

Paul David Seaman
Nord Electro 6D (61) | Yamaha DXR 10 (pair) | Yamaha HS7 (pair) | Cubase 9 | Sibelius 8.6 | Windows 10
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Revan5159 » 27 Jan 2022, 11:17

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hi Revan,

When you mention "desktop synths" do you mean boutique instruments, or VST's, please?

Thanks,

Paul David Seaman

Sorry! I should have specified. I meant hardware instruments, not VSTs. Specifically, a Behringer Model D and/or a Roland JU-06a. I'd like to use these in place of my full-sized synths (Prophet REV 2 and a Moog Subsequent 37) for smaller/shorter gigs. It looks like we were trying to do the same thing.

My current performance rig doesn't include a PC or laptop of any kind, so I guess I'm going to need some kind of MIDI processor unless Clavia decides to add that feature back.. I also see that it's possible on the Stage 3, but I don't plan on getting rid of my Electro anytime soon.
Nord Electro 6D (61), Prophet REV2 (8 Voice), Moog Subsequent 37, Yamaha DX7, Korg M50, MPC One, JU06a, Behringer Model D

monsterjazzlicks
Revan5159

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 27 Jan 2022, 20:28

Revan5159 wrote:Sorry! I should have specified. I meant hardware instruments, not VSTs. Specifically, a Behringer Model D and/or a Roland JU-06a. I'd like to use these in place of my full-sized synths (Prophet REV 2 and a Moog Subsequent 37) for smaller/shorter gigs. It looks like we were trying to do the same thing.

My current performance rig doesn't include a PC or laptop of any kind, so I guess I'm going to need some kind of MIDI processor unless Clavia decides to add that feature back.. I also see that it's possible on the Stage 3, but I don't plan on getting rid of my Electro anytime soon.

Hi Revan5159,

OK, I tried the Poly D Behringer but I decided to go for the Moog Sub 25. I needed 'memory' - as when I play left-hand-bass I can't be setting sounds (as I will be sacrificing a hand every couple of minutes).

I do not take a PC or similar on gigs either. However, this may change (reluctantly!) because if I run out of sample-space (on the NE6) I'll have to perform a big 'download' between sets.

Do you mean Clavia removed a certain MIDI-processor on the NE6 which was present on earlier Electro models?

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Mr_-G- » 27 Jan 2022, 23:05

Make sure you time the bank switching before going that route... for the NS2 it is a long wait.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Revan5159 » 28 Jan 2022, 01:39

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Revan5159 wrote:Sorry! I should have specified. I meant hardware instruments, not VSTs. Specifically, a Behringer Model D and/or a Roland JU-06a. I'd like to use these in place of my full-sized synths (Prophet REV 2 and a Moog Subsequent 37) for smaller/shorter gigs. It looks like we were trying to do the same thing.

Hi Revan5159,

OK, I tried the Poly D Behringer but I decided to go for the Moog Sub 25. I needed 'memory' - as when I play left-hand-bass I can't be setting sounds (as I will be sacrificing a hand every couple of minutes).

I do not take a PC or similar on gigs either. However, this may change (reluctantly!) because if I run out of sample-space (on the NE6) I'll have to perform a big 'download' between sets.

Do you mean Clavia removed a certain MIDI-processor on the NE6 which was present on earlier Electro models?

Paul

Yeah, maxpiano mentioned in another reply that the Electro 5D had the two-way MIDI that we're looking for.

Maybe there's some Clavia engineers lurking the forum who will hear our cries for phat left hand bass and add it in a future update ;) for now though, I'll just have to bring both boards. Not the worst problem in the world I'd say.

monsterjazzlicks
Revan5159

Postby anotherscott » 28 Jan 2022, 02:29

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Do you mean Clavia removed a certain MIDI-processor on the NE6 which was present on earlier Electro models?

the Electro 5 had a setting where the keys above the split point would transmit on a different channel, so you could control an external module on the top (alone, or layered with a Nord sound) while playing the Nord sound on the bottom. I think this is the only Electro that had a feature like that.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
monsterjazzlicks
anotherscott

Postby monsterjazzlicks » 28 Jan 2022, 19:37

Revan5159 wrote:Yeah, maxpiano mentioned in another reply that the Electro 5D had the two-way MIDI that we're looking for.

Maybe there's some Clavia engineers lurking the forum who will hear our cries for phat left hand bass and add it in a future update ;) for now though, I'll just have to bring both boards. Not the worst problem in the world I'd say.

Thanks for the additional info, Revan.

I would BEG to have this very feature installed on the Electro 6! :shifty:

I think the other aspect whose absence users complain about is the 'song-list'? - of which I have no experience.

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on 28 Jan 2022, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
monsterjazzlicks

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum