General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 HP 76 Key click sound

Postby kinder » 22 Apr 2021, 18:16

The lowest E key is making a click sound (all the other keys sound like F key)
Check the recording:
https://youtu.be/w1Fy_SkCl1Q
and there a stain of dried glue between the two keys.

I just bought it and the retailer stated that it is delivered straight from the distributor although it's software version is V.2.24 and Rev B 1.1 / back v0.1.0 (my friend bought a Stage 3 88 month before me and got it with sv V.2.54 Rev B v5.2 / back v0.3.1)

What should I do? What would you do?
kinder

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Nord Stage 3 HP 76 Key click sound

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 HP 76 Key click sound

Postby Nord33 » 23 Apr 2021, 16:00

kinder wrote:The lowest E key is making a click sound (all the other keys sound like F key)
Check the recording:
https://youtu.be/w1Fy_SkCl1Q
and there a stain of dried glue between the two keys.

I just bought it and the retailer stated that it is delivered straight from the distributor although it's software version is V.2.24 and Rev B 1.1 / back v0.1.0 (my friend bought a Stage 3 88 month before me and got it with sv V.2.54 Rev B v5.2 / back v0.3.1)

What should I do? What would you do?

Man if I can tell according to the numbers you stated here, you obviously haven't bought a newest version of NS3. You can go to dealer and tell him that that's not the newest board. If he refuses to switch the board, according to consumer rights, as of I know, you should be able to return the board within few days. I don't know when you've bought it.... but that would solve 2/2 problems you clearly have here:
1. Key click sound
2. Older board version

as of this strange click sound, there were different types of sound clicking key problems on this forum. It's hard to tell only hearing it from video, but, to me it sounds like there is some kind of plastic paper (wire, or contactor) that rubs against key... like if something is not fully glued to the contact board... but I'm waiting to hear what others think (not completely sure about that one).
Last edited by Nord33 on 23 Apr 2021, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nord33

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby kinder » 23 Apr 2021, 16:49

THX for the replay and empathy

The dealer claims this unit was from a fresh delivery straight from the distributor, therefore I am also surprised about the old software and hardware versions.

The dealer refuses to replace this unit with a new one. I didn't buy this unit via internet so I can't return it with no reason, at least in Poland.
He offered only repair on his cost in authorized Nord repair service.
I've also contacted the service myself their diagnosis is:
this is not a defect, but bad positioning of the aftertouch (more likely, because they test it before shipping) sliding off the guide and therefore the key rubs.

additional video on the click:
https://youtu.be/3MqrsKK5lTs

Anyway lesson for life don't expect good service and quality from Clavia Nord
kinder

Postby Nord33 » 23 Apr 2021, 18:38

kinder wrote:The dealer claims this unit was from a fresh delivery straight from the distributor, therefore I am also surprised about the old software and hardware versions.

The dealer refuses to replace this unit with a new one. I didn't buy this unit via internet so I can't return it with no reason, at least in Poland.

Well, I don't know about Poland, but as of I know, here in Croatia, you should be able to return product within a few days with a full refound (or at least 90+%). Maybe I'm wrong, but customer being not satisfied with a product is a serious thing, and I think that selling older version while claiming it's the newest is really thing to return a product. Because, you as a customer don't care how did your dealer came up with the product... did he stole it, did he found it, never saw it before selling it... it doesn't matter, that's his thing. Your thing is to check the product before buying, and consumer's rights exist because they should protect customers from being scammed or similar things in every day shopping.
You should stand up for this and don't give up just like that. If I buy a new TV and dealer says it's a brand new, newest model from "that" company, as a customer I don't need to know every serial number to know if that's really true. But if I came home after that, check up on the internet and found out that that's the older one, I should be able to return it... if not for "no reason" then at least because I'm not satisfied with the product and incorrect dealer's description.

kinder wrote:Anyway lesson for life don't expect good service and quality from Clavia Nord

About problem with key, it can happen that this kind of fails happen within transportation. There are many Clavia users and many of them are present on this forum and different FB groups. I wouldn't say that Clavia has bad quality products. You can now say "yeah, but I saw many people complain about problems with this or that keyboard", but, keep in mind that many many (really many) users who don't have any problems at all with their keyboards, you will never hear of them. This forum is like a magnet to see all kinds of different problems people experience with Nord Keyboards, but all that problems added together are not as close to 1% of all Clavia's products. (except for Nord Wave 2 slider knobs :lol: :lol: - but that's also not too many units)
This forum is best place for users to solve their problems. Users that don't have them will either never visit it or you will obviously never hear about any problems from them :)
Nord33

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby kinder » 24 Apr 2021, 11:45

Thx for your kind words and empathy again.
This is hard for me since I tread my gear very serious.
When my Line 6 Helix LT broke they replaced it for a new unit when I contacted their support.
I won't contact Nord's because they not so nice.

Keep your finger crossed that the repair will go smoothly, Polish repair service Audiostacja is really professional and nice.
kinder

Postby kinder » 25 Apr 2021, 09:03

Oh not only me have same problem:
https://youtu.be/CKWvjLCTzdw

The guy in the comments has exaclty the same issue:
"I have the same issue in the E1 key of my brand new NS3 HP76.
It’s really annoying, because it’s a really expensive keyboard.
For that price you really don’t expect that kind of failure.
It’s such a mistake that would worth a world wide recall, like when cars fails."
kinder

Postby kinder » 28 Apr 2021, 20:59

UPDATE: with an happy end.

Got it today. It's repaired at Audiostacja (Polish Nord Warranty) took only a day.
Bonus electronics check and software update and free tshirts :P
Very professional service and contact with Mr. Paweł
..recommend him he knows what he is doing THX
Mr. Pawel is a wonderful guy, apart from answering every question and excellent service, he also told some interesting facts

The diagnosis was correct:
this is not a defect, but bad positioning of the after touch (more likely, because they test it before shipping) sliding off the guide while shipping and therefore the key rubs, and makes noises.
The repair didn't require to unscrew the whole instrument just taking of the left wooden cover.
It is now "better then new"

I also got feedback that I'm lucky because my instrument has a really quiet keyboard as for the HP76.
Now about the stain of dried glue between the two keys. It was not glue but the Keyboard friction oil "the more of it the better".

Also a tip. Every 3 years send your instrument to service to refresh the keyboard.

Finger crossed on how long till nect defect wonder how long does it take for the Nord HP76 keybard to wear off and start clicking or feeling the hammers

The author kinder was thanked by 2 members, including:
modalmixtureFZiegler
kinder

Postby kinder » 17 Jun 2021, 19:13

UPDATE: the fix didn't last long. The click is back after picking my Nord Stage 3 HP from the car..
Oh man this thing is crap...
Never ever a nord again
kinder

Postby WannitBBBad » 17 Jun 2021, 20:02

Still under warranty?
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby NoDirection » 18 Jun 2021, 10:13

I really wish nord switch from HP to HA action on the coming Nord Stage 3 EX or 4 76 model. So many people with problems (click / noise etc) on the HP action. The keys on my 8 years old Nord Stage2 76 with HA action works perfect.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum