Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Speaker/Amp Simulations - Favourites?

Postby Guidos656 » 04 Jul 2019, 10:57

Hey all,

I am fairly new to my Electro 5D, and I am wondering if any of you have any favourite speaker simulation setups? For example, using a Rhodes sample with the Twin speaker simulation...

Any favourites would be great to hear about.

I put the studio grand through a twin with a bit of chorus the other day, and it sounded weird but wonderful! :crazy:

Cheers
Guidos656

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Speaker/Amp Simulations - Favourites?

Sponsor

Re: Speaker/Amp Simulations - Favourites?

Postby OrpheusNY » 04 Jul 2019, 21:59

It took me a while to figure out that the “small” amp sim specifically emulates the small built-in speakers on the Wurlitzer EP and is primarily meant to be paired with the Wurly samples.

Rhodes/JC can pair well, but really, if it sounds good to you, it’s not wrong.
OrpheusNY

Postby Guidos656 » 05 Jul 2019, 11:12

OrpheusNY wrote:It took me a while to figure out that the “small” amp sim specifically emulates the small built-in speakers on the Wurlitzer EP and is primarily meant to be paired with the Wurly samples.

Ah yes, I read that somewhere too. Will try it out with the small spkr. Absolutely love the low end of those Wurly samples. Beautiful and growly.
Guidos656

Postby dkernohan » 05 Jul 2019, 18:48

The plain old (tube) overdrive is great on a clav to give it that extra push. I couple this with another clav tip I've stumbled upon - set the keybed touch to three (both lights).
dkernohan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby NolaNord504 » 08 Jul 2019, 23:11

For me, the speaker/amp simulation in combination with the overdrive effect is essential for the EP's in most situations. The "small" amp sim together with the standard non-amped Wurly sample is a must as far as I'm concerned. If I'm using the larger (XL) "amped" Wurly sample, then I might go with overdrive only. In either case, it seams like the overdrive is necessary to get a truly authentic sound (and feel). With Rhodes, it can be important as well depending on what type of sound you are going for. With the amp sim turned off, you get something closer to the "suitcase" sound, but for the Rhodes "Stage" sound, both the twin and JC sims are fantastic and essential (adding overdrive as needed).

While we're on this subject, I'd like to add that my biggest and only real source of frustration with the Electro is the inability to use amp sim/overdrive and the Leslie effect simultaneously (with splits). I know I'm not the first one to say it around here, but this really diminishes any EP/Organ splits (especially Organ/Wurly splits) because both effects are ESSENTIAL to each respective instrument. If there was one thing I would "fix" on the Electro, it would be this. I'm sure the good folks at Nord are quite aware of this issue, so I can only guess that maybe it's more difficult (or expensive) to implement than it might seem.
-Brian
Stage 2 HA76, Electro 6D 73
Gone but not forgotten: Stage 76 (Classic), Electro 2 73, Electro 3 73, Electro 5 HP
NolaNord504

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Guidos656 » 11 Jul 2019, 09:15

Hey NolaNord,

Yes, I know what you mean. The overdrive really does suit the EPs most. I don't tend to use any on the organs as they already sound pretty rough (in a good way) I think.

And yes, I have totally noticed that about splitting organs and EPs. At least you can get a slight effect on the organ with the vibrato effect. But it's not Leslie sim!
Guidos656

Postby NolaNord504 » 13 Jul 2019, 21:15

Guidos656 wrote:Hey NolaNord,

Yes, I know what you mean. The overdrive really does suit the EPs most. I don't tend to use any on the organs as they already sound pretty rough (in a good way) I think.

And yes, I have totally noticed that about splitting organs and EPs. At least you can get a slight effect on the organ with the vibrato effect. But it's not Leslie sim!

Agreed. From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like this would be a big deal to implement, but I really just don't know about that. Obviously, the Electro is not a Stage, but in my opinion, this particular issue (overdrive/amp sim with EP splits) is a reasonable expectation within the "Electro universe". 8-)
-Brian
Stage 2 HA76, Electro 6D 73
Gone but not forgotten: Stage 76 (Classic), Electro 2 73, Electro 3 73, Electro 5 HP
NolaNord504

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Return to Nord Electro Forum