General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Yamaha MODX8 as external keyboard for NS3C pianos

Postby Schorsch » 16 Jan 2019, 23:52

Hi,

I’m using either a NS2EX-88 as my stand-alone keyboard with my band on small/short gigs or gigs where we don’t have much time to setup our stuff, or a NS3C in combination with a Roland RD800 for larger gigs like full evening events. I like the action of the RD800 and play a number of Nord piano sounds with it as an external keyboard to the NS3C, but I hate lugging it around because of the weight. I am therefore thinking of selling the RD800 and use a Yamaha MODX8 instead. Has anyone used the same combination and how well do these two boards fit to each other in terms of both keyboard action for the NS3C as well as complementary sounds and ease of use ?

Thanks for any shared experience :)
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Yamaha MODX8 as external keyboard for NS3C pianos

Sponsor

Re: Yamaha MODX8 as external keyboard for NS3C pianos

Postby Mr_-G- » 17 Jan 2019, 01:27

You should try carefully before you buy. The MODX8 is a very nice instrument with superb and complex sounds. Very light and cheap for what it is (same engine as the Montage).
The keybed is weighted, but it is not on the same league as the NS2-88 or the Montage 8.
I have not used the MODX8 to control the NS2 yet, but I can confirm that there are all sort of settings to control the velocity of multi-sample patches which make it *very* flexible. It has lots of menus and pages, so it is way more difficult to edit sounds on the fly than in the Nords. I have not played the RD800 so I cannot comment on how it compares to the MODX8. I did not like the MODX6 and 7 keybeds at all.
Be aware that the MIDI implementation of the MODX and Montage models is not "standard". Perhaps you already know that. Hope it helps.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
Schorsch
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Rusty Mike » 17 Jan 2019, 01:51

Yamaha just introduced 2 new CP Stage pianos. The CP73 comes in around 13kg. It may be worth looking into.

Korg GrandStage would be lighter than the RD800 as well.

I love my RD800 but it will never leave the house; it’s a beast!
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
Schorsch
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby cookie » 17 Jan 2019, 01:52

I've tested both ModX8 and Montage 8. Clearly the keybeds are very different indeed but the ModX is usable (much better than previous MOX series).
You should take a look at the latest CP88 from Yamaha that has the GH3 action keys. 18kg.

If you are looking for a 88 with some decent sounds and ultra light weighted and cheap, check out the Casio PX5S. 11kg.

Fred
Last edited by cookie on 17 Jan 2019, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

The author cookie was thanked by:
Schorsch
cookie
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby anotherscott » 17 Jan 2019, 03:03

Mr_-G- wrote:Be aware that the MIDI implementation of the MODX and Montage models is not "standard".

It is perfectly standard in the way it works as a controller (for up to four zones), which is how it would be used here. It does have some unusual restrictions on how it receives.

Rusty Mike wrote:Yamaha just introduced 2 new CP Stage pianos. The CP73 comes in around 13kg. It may be worth looking into.

Yes, could be worth a look too. CP73 and CP88 have different actions from each other but probably both better feeling than MODX. They also have a much more Nord-like way of operating. Also metal chassis and internal power supply. The trade-off is far fewer sounds and less flexibility than the (plastic chassis) MODX. Less MIDI controller functionality, too, but still probably sufficient.

Rusty Mike wrote:Korg GrandStage would be lighter than the RD800 as well.

Yes, and also Korg SV1, which is less flexible but "knobier" and arguably has better EPs. But we're getting to less and less MIDI controller flexibility.

cookie wrote:IIf you are looking for a 88 with some decent sounds and ultra light weighted and cheap, check out the Casio PX5S.

Also Kurzweil SP6. One controller limitation of the PX5S too be aware of is the lack of an expression pedal input.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Schorsch
anotherscott

Postby Murphy » 17 Jan 2019, 04:54

According to Keyboardmag.com the new Yamaha CP73 doesn’t have the same action as the new CP88, and the CP88 weighs around 41 pounds - about the same as the RD800. From a weight standpoint the ModX8 might be the way to go. I don’t like the action on the ModX8 as much as the RD800, and I’ve played on the ModX8 for a couple of hours, but I do like it. I also think the ModX8 could be very useful (to me), for the variety of sounds - and think the Nord/ModX8 combination would be easy to cart and cover almost everything I do on local gigs. If I didn’t have the RD800, the new CP88 looks great.

https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/yamaha ... age-pianos

The author Murphy was thanked by:
Schorsch
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby cphollis » 17 Jan 2019, 05:42

I use my NS3C with a bottom board for AP actions. The NS3C can really do it all ... my new favorite rig.

In my situation, I re-purposed a Nord Piano 2 for the bottom action. Response curves are friendly with the NS3C (naturally), it's a light, weighted board and I've learned to love the action. Also a nice matching red. A bit lighter than the real acoustic pianos I play, but definitely enjoyable without too much effort. Here in the US, maybe $1200 used? I'm sure other weighted actions are an option, it all gets down to what you want and $$$.

Also, if my NS3C should die (never has happened) I could get through most of a gig with the native NP2 sounds.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Schorsch
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Murphy » 17 Jan 2019, 07:17

cphollis wrote:I use my NS3C with a bottom board for AP actions. The NS3C can really do it all ... my new favorite rig.

In my situation, I re-purposed a Nord Piano 2 for the bottom action. Response curves are friendly with the NS3C (naturally), it's a light, weighted board and I've learned to love the action. Also a nice matching red. A bit lighter than the real acoustic pianos I play, but definitely enjoyable without too much effort. Here in the US, maybe $1200 used? I'm sure other weighted actions are an option, it all gets down to what you want and $$$.

Also, if my NS3C should die (never has happened) I could get through most of a gig with the native NP2 sounds.

That’s a terrific idea because of price, weight, backup and familiarity - and I’ve always wanted a Nord Piano! Studio Logic’s Sl series would be nice too, but what you’re doing makes a lot of sense.

The author Murphy was thanked by:
Schorsch
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby Schorsch » 17 Jan 2019, 12:08

Thank you all for your responses and helpful hints :thanx:

It's pretty clear to me that the action of the RD800 is way better than the one of the MODX8 if one wants to "really" play pianos, but that's the trade-off I am preapred to accept in favour of the lower weight. I also was thinking of using the MODX8 for sounds like brass and some orchestrals, for which I am not really satisfied with on my Nord Stage (using these from the RD800 as well right now). I know the quality of these sounds from the Yamaha Motif series which are even better than the RD800 sounds, and would expect the MODX8 to be at the same level (at least).

I will have a look at the others whih you recommended and see which option fits best, thanks again :thumbup:
Last edited by Schorsch on 17 Jan 2019, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 17 Jan 2019, 19:17

Now that you've added that you are also looking for this board to improve on the brass/orchestral sounds of the Nord, I'd pare down the list some. Of all the boards mentioned, I think MODX8, Grandstage, and SP6 are the only possibilities. The others (CP73, SV1, PX5S, or another Nord) are not strong on these things. The Grandstage only gets much lighter than the RD if you go down to the 73, and it's still noticeably heavier than the other two which are 88s, so that might just be a last resort if you really don't like the actions of the others.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Schorsch
anotherscott

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum