Anyone buy Patch Foundry Collections?

Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
dansnord
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Anyone buy Patch Foundry Collections?

Post by dansnord »

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on Patch Foundry. I was looking at their $80 "NS3 Cover Band Collection". While $80 isn't nothing, I did just pay a lot more than that for my Stage 3 88. And it seems like it might be fun to have some of those patches, and interesting to see the makeup of them. I'm fumbling my way through learning the programming but it will be a while before I get good at it, if for no other reason that I have very limited time. Have any of you bought this set, or others from them? Or do you just program all your patches yourself, and trade/download others on this forum?
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Anyone buy Patch Foundry Collections?

Post by FZiegler »

I don't think there is a "makeup" for those patches. They're probably just samples to load into the synth. You can have a lot of samples for free from nordusersounds.com - the sibling to the forum.

If you are in a hurry and need those sounds, it's an option, though.

I only bought an organ collection from SynthCloud - for similar reasons. Wanted to have a quick point to start from, but didn't touch them any more after purchase.

I think what you really need is a reason to play your instrument and get in touch with it. Outside my band engagement, I exactly created 3 programs in 3 years - for playing around. But looking for a nice sound for a special song (needn't be close to the original, but must be matching in some way) is fun!
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

I stand corrected: That collection comprises settings for piano and organ sounds, too. There are synth sounds as well. So, if the factory sounds and the nordusersounds aren't enough to learn from, go for it!
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
dansnord

Post by dansnord »

Thanks for pointing out nordusersounds.com! I had no idea that was out there. About the Foundry stuff, again, I would prefer to not buy patches, but it's a pretty small amount vs. what I paid for the Stage 3. And I could use a few of those sounds right out of the gate.
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by cookie »

I would start by saying : if you don't have time, or the will to create your own programs and this package includes many songs you're covering with your band (and you like the demos) + the price is no issue, then go for it !

Personally, I only bought samples (generated from specific machines) for my Stage. I don't use them that much for covers (except some D50 sounds) but fun to have and to play with (can lead to very interesting experimental sounds).

All the programs for my cover band are homemade, generally using resources found here (those are the same found much more organised in the NUS) as a start. I always end up tweaking those programs to my own taste :)
Thing is : depending on your band setup, you will need different programs configuration (remove brass sound cause you have a horn section, no bass as the bassist doesn't want to have another layer). So there is not a "standard" program for a covered song.
If you're using 2 keyboards, then you may need to reconfigure which sounds plays with which keyboards and in the end, for i.e., may not use this synth lead sound on the upper split section in the Nord program (BTW, that is the most time-consuming sound to create).
Also, some of the songs I play are covers of covers :) Therefore, the original "Wurly killer patch with phaser" is of no use.
Then, out of the 200 programs in the package, you'll need only say 80, the rest is unused for the money... and you'll need in many cases to go back to programming for tweaking.

Stage are so easy to program. Importing samples or creating your own sample is also a piece of cake with NSE v4.
And again, the community here is sharing so many programs and so reactive to share samples/programs upon requests that I never felt the need to go to commercial banks !

I'd like to mention the quality of the Nord (and other brands) sounds from NarfSounds. Great ready to use program for covers, worth to take a look at !

Fred
neomad

Post by neomad »

dansnord wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on Patch Foundry. I was looking at their $80 "NS3 Cover Band Collection". While $80 isn't nothing, I did just pay a lot more than that for my Stage 3 88. And it seems like it might be fun to have some of those patches, and interesting to see the makeup of them. I'm fumbling my way through learning the programming but it will be a while before I get good at it, if for no other reason that I have very limited time. Have any of you bought this set, or others from them? Or do you just program all your patches yourself, and trade/download others on this forum?

Most of the time, 95% I might say, I program my patches. But one gig came and I was in a rush, so I bought the cover package. Very disappointing quality... the guy is kind and supportive, but the quality is average/bad.

The sale argument is: tested with the best band in thousands of gigs... and this is exactly the problem: he plays with more than 8/9 musicians every-time, so the existence of a Nord keyboard is just to fill up the gaps. I put a clear example, and very basic one: Get Lucky, Daft Punk. What is inside? just an E-Piano, poorly programmed, almost without FXs or a compressor (of course, there is a sound engineer adding that in the main mixing console)... so patch was simply useless.
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
dansnord

Post by dansnord »

Thanks, neomad. That's what I needed to hear. $80 is $80. No need to waste it! I have found the Stage 3 to be relatively easy to program so far. I'll just keep working with it and using the sounds from these forums.
neomad

Post by neomad »

dansnord wrote:Thanks, neomad. That's what I needed to hear. $80 is $80. No need to waste it! I have found the Stage 3 to be relatively easy to program so far. I'll just keep working with it and using the sounds from these forums.

You are welcome. But hey, you can give a try. I understand that there is a demo of a few patches that you can get for free.
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
gsbe_com

Post by gsbe_com »

A cover band recently hired me to play keys on a 3-4 set gig. They had about 70 songs in a few diff styles like rock, soul, r&b, pop, and country that I quickly needed programs for, which was pretty daunting. I checked thru the list of tunes at the patchfoundry site, and it hit almost 25 on the band’s, so I thought it was worth my time to purchase them.

It has paid off. I have found the patches that I’m using to be surprisingly practical and well thought out. One thing to remember is that all these patches require the mod wheel to be pushed fully on. That allows the control pedal to function with various patches, usually in a pretty cool and playable way. That screwed me up on the first gig! Lol

Recently, the band asked me to learn a few new songs, and a couple were in the collection. I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find these patchfoundry programs because they have saved me time preparing new tunes. Sometimes, I have found myself tweaking the volume of the effects down a bit or some other minor tweaks to the preset, but I can say that the $80 has def been worth the hours it saved me programming! These programs, along with many others I’ve found on this forum, have given me great ideas for programming my sounds.

YMMV
Last edited by gsbe_com on 29 Jan 2023, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tasten-Bert
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Tasten-Bert »

Not that I intend to make advertising, just some sources where I frequently look up (never bought one, though):

https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/nord

https://www.rogeriooliveirakeyboards.com/

I play covers as well and have up to now set up all my programs myself. I need to „feel“ what I want to hear.

Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |
[hr]
... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20