Stage 4 split question...

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
jsm1847
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Stage 4 split question...

Post by jsm1847 »

Hello all! Im a pretty new Nord user...just picked up the Stage 4. I am using the piano and synth engine together. In the synth engine, Im using a string patch and a bass patch, but I dont want the bass to go all the way up. Is there a way to only section out that bass on the split? I dont want the strings split, just the bass. I know it might be the total engine that is split, but thought I'd check with you fine folks. Thanks for the help!!!

John
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Stage 4 split question...

Post by FZiegler »

You can split the keyboard range up to 3 times - so you get up to 4 zones. You are able to select 1, 2, 3 or all 4 zones for each layer (as long as they are next to each other). No problem to have the bass only in one zone, but the strings all over the keyboard. Have a look into the manual - it's well written.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post (total 2):
taxman, jsm1847
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
jsm1847

Post by jsm1847 »

Thanks for the reply…I’ll check it out and let you know if I have any problems!
jsm1847

Post by jsm1847 »

FZiegler wrote: 11 May 2024, 18:15 You can split the keyboard range up to 3 times - so you get up to 4 zones. You are able to select 1, 2, 3 or all 4 zones for each layer (as long as they are next to each other). No problem to have the bass only in one zone, but the strings all over the keyboard. Have a look into the manual - it's well written.
Just looked on the online manual and the instructions were pretty brief. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Would it be in the split section?
catosim
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by catosim »

Manual, page 14 (last section):
CREATE A SPLIT
Apart from layering sounds, like in the previous example, it is also possible to assign sounds to different zones of the keyboard, by using
the SPLIT functionality. Continuing on the Piano and Synth combination from the previous example, let’s split these sounds instead.

1 Press once on the SPLIT ON/SET button, located in the top row above the Program area display. This activates a single split point in
the middle of the keyboard, at “C4”.

2 To adjust the position of the Split point, press and hold the SPLIT ON/SET button.

3 There are two settings for each split point; Note and xFade. Make sure the Note row is selected by pressing the Program 1 button,
corresponding to the 6/5 symbol in the display until the cursor is on the lower row. Set the desired Mid split point using the dial.

4 Make sure that the other two split points (Low and High) are set to “Off”.

The keyboard is now divided into two zones, the split point being indicated with a green LED above the keyboard. The M LED above the
SPLIT ON/SET button will also be lit, indicating both that Split is turned on, and that only the Mid split point is active.

ASSIGN THE PIANO TO THE UPPER ZONE
5 Press Piano A KB ZONE 3/4 (Shift+Octave Shift Up/Down) so that only the two rightmost LEDs are lit. This assigns Piano A to the upper zone of the keyboard. Feel free to use the OCTAVE SHIFT 3/4 buttons in the Piano section for accessing a different range of the piano sound.

ASSIGN THE SYNTH SOUND TO THE LOWER ZONE
Press the Synth A KB ZONE 3/4 (Shift+Octave Shift Up/Down) so that only the two leftmost LEDs are lit. Note that if you have loaded or created a Synth sound using multiple Layers you can double-tap on Section Edit before editing KB Zone, which lets you set the KB Zone for all Synth Layers at once.
i By using all three split points, Low, Mid and High, it is possible to divide the keyboard into a total of four distinct zones to which any Layer can be freely assigned.
These users thanked the author catosim for the post:
jsm1847
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland Jupiter X, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B, Virus Snow
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

I didn't give you a page number because, in my eyes, you should have a look into all of the manual. It's short enough and
a) provides you with an overview,
b) lets you learn the Nord language,
c) teaches you basic things like splits, morphs, programs etc.
A first overview may take 30 minutes (along the headlines) and allows you a closer look every time you need this or that (e.g. menu settings). What's not so much explained is dealing with Nord Sound Manager and Nord Sample Editor.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
jsm1847

Post by jsm1847 »

FZiegler wrote: 13 May 2024, 08:42 I didn't give you a page number because, in my eyes, you should have a look into all of the manual. It's short enough and
A first overview may take 30 minutes (along the headlines) and allows you a closer look every time you need this or that (e.g. menu settings). What's not so much explained is dealing with Nord Sound Manager and Nord Sample Editor.
No problem. Just looks like I am looking at a different manual than both of you. I do know how to do splits, i just dont know how to split two layers in the same section. From the instructions given, I still don't but I'll continue to search.
jsm1847

Post by jsm1847 »

Ok, I found my paper manual. It most def seems like its different from the online manual as well as the posted information. On mine, it's on page 39 and doesn't explain how to do what I'm asking. It's a pretty small section not even half a page long.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

jsm1847 wrote: 13 May 2024, 21:49
FZiegler wrote: 13 May 2024, 08:42 I didn't give you a page number because, in my eyes, you should have a look into all of the manual. It's short enough and
No problem. Just looks like I am looking at a different manual than both of you. I do know how to do splits, i just dont know how to split two layers in the same section. From the instructions given, I still don't but I'll continue to search.
You don't "split layers", NS4 split points (L,M,H) and consequently the zones (1,2,3,4) are defined overall in each Program and it is the first thing you have to do, then next step is to "assign each layer to one or more zones" using the KB ZONE (Shift + Oct up/down) command for each active layer in each section
Last edited by maxpiano on 13 May 2024, 23:15, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

About the manual, always look at the latest .pdf available online (forge the paper one, it becomes obsolete with new OS releases)