Nord Electro Rack 2 + Nord Piano 5 ?

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
eksund
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Nord Electro Rack 2 + Nord Piano 5 ?

Post by eksund »

I wonder if it is possible to connect an Electro Rack 2 with an NP5.
Since I don't know anything about MIDI the question go to the helpful individuals on this forum.

Why on earth would anyone want to connect an old item to a new NP5 you might ask, But I
misses the organ part I had on my Electro 6.

Would it be possible to play the Rack on one part of the keybed and the piano on the second half?
How do the Midi connections go?
Any other issues to look out for?
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Electro Rack 2 + Nord Piano 5 ?

Post by maxpiano »

Unfortunately the NP5 doesn't have a flexible MIDI implementation, so you can connect the 2 via MIDi but you cannot assign just a zone/split of NP5 to the rack, it will receive from the whole keyboard, unless you put a computer/tablet with a MIDI routing app (or a HW MIDI processor) in the middle, to implement the required MIDI messages filtering.
Last edited by maxpiano on 24 Apr 2024, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
harmonizer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by harmonizer »

I used to use my Electro 3 73-key with its (very) lightly weighted keyboard as a MIDI controller with a Roland XV-5050 rack module, with a traditional MIDI cable joining them. I noticed that that program I had set in my Electro 3 effected the MIDI output it sent: If my Electro 3 had an organ sound selected, the MIDI key down messages were all at full velocity, which was not desired for any of the piano or synth programs I was using on my Roland synth module. So I needed to make sure I had a Piano bank sound (AP or EP) selected on my Electro 3.

Also, as Max noted, the entire keyboard range of my Electro 3 was sent to my Roland XV-5050 module. Since I was using this for live gigs, I had an A/B switch for the 1/4-inch TS audio outputs from the Electro 3 and the Roland module. This enabled me to prevent any sound from my Electro 3 to reach my keyboard amp when I was using my Electro as a MIDI controller to my rack module.
eksund
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by eksund »

Thank you for the input.

I save my money and look out for a descent VST instead.
And frankly, for an amateur like me, the organ in Logic is ok.
It's just that a saw a Rack up for sale for $400.