Piano sound comparison

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
Crystalmaster

Piano sound comparison

Post by Crystalmaster »

In my minimalistic studio/orchestral templates I have many “highly” appreciated piano libraries.
After 3-4 weeks listening to the White grand/Royal grand 3D (I made a crossfaded split patch from these 2), I am surprised with the quality.

Does anybody know a vtsi alternative any of these beauties?
Last edited by Crystalmaster on 20 Apr 2024, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas Wrana
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Re: Piano sound comparison

Post by Jonas Wrana »

I have tried multiple (I would say at least 20 in the past). The best so far for me was ravencroft by VI Labs (with right setting).
But you know.. Playing and listening to your songs with the White Grand - all default setting - except a hall reverb on 3.. Nothing beats this for me.
In future I will link to an album I now remake with White Grand (ow piano music in classical style),'
Meanwhile listen to this and ask yourself if you ever gonna find anything better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80jkC_BXpNw

(More clarity and presence than recording a real grand since you get a lot of swish and air (character) with real pianos)

Edit: I now realize you asked for VSTI of Nord Grand instruments.. Well I don't think there are but there are rumors that some instrument that Nord uses derives from Sampletank edit: Sampletekk. However if there were it would mean a loss for Nord. One of its secrets and gems are its perfectly engineered and recorded sampled instruments just a 10:th of the size of other huge libraries.. I just record my grand into the DAW. Very easy.

Cheers,
Jonas.
Last edited by Jonas Wrana on 20 Apr 2024, 21:51, edited 2 times in total.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FZiegler »

These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
Jonas Wrana
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Crystalmaster

Post by Crystalmaster »

I have listened to it, surely superb sound and playing as well ofc.

I originally bought my grand piano5 for stage work, but more and more I am thinking to get a stage 4 for my minimalistic studio - I do not care if it cannot transmit CCs. But not yet decided…

The “issue” what face now is that i can compose on the grand piano, but not so much on my “old” vsti pianos at this point.
Last edited by Crystalmaster on 20 Apr 2024, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Crystalmaster for the post:
Jonas Wrana
Crystalmaster

Post by Crystalmaster »

FZiegler wrote:I collected some rumours: https://www.norduserforum.com/general-n ... ml#p128240
Cool! Thanks!
Nordine
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Nordine »

Crystalmaster wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 17:51 In my minimalistic studio/orchestral templates I have many “highly” appreciated piano libraries.
After 3-4 weeks listening to the White grand/Royal grand 3D (I made a crossfaded split patch from these 2), I am surprised with the quality.

Does anybody know a vtsi alternative any of these beauties?

Can you please describe how you crossfaded White grand/Royal grand 3D? What are the settings you used?
Many thanks Crystalmaster!!!
—Nordine

Jazz pianist & co-author of "Jazzology: The Encyclopaedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians"
Nord Piano 5 (88)
Roland RD-88
Korg Triton Extreme
M-Audio Keys 49 MK3
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
Audient Evo 4
Crystalmaster

Post by Crystalmaster »

Oooo, nothing special:

Below middle C: Royal grand 3D
Above middle C: White grand
6 notes crossfade.
Stage Reverb, settings 3-4.

Additional note: I think everybody has different ears / different playing techniques / preferences…so, what sounds good to me, not surely will sound good for everyone.
I have “finetuned” my Kawai NOVUS NV10S for my room/ears ;-), but that is a different instrument - btw it is a very good one :-).
Last edited by Crystalmaster on 22 Apr 2024, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Crystalmaster for the post:
Nordine
Spider
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Spider »

For comparing pianos, I created a very simple dedicated program.
I set up piano "A" on one layer at full volume, and piano "B" on the second layer at zero volume.
I create a morph controlled by the expression pedal, which simultaneously brings piano A to zero and piano B to full.
In this way I can keep both my hand on the keyboard and switch between the pianos while I play.

I use this program on my Stage 2, but it can obviously be done on any Nord with 2 layers and an expression pedal input.
These users thanked the author Spider for the post:
Nordine