Connectivity / USB cable

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
spidermax
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Connectivity / USB cable

Post by spidermax »

Proudly unpacked the new Stage4 - and I could hardly believe that they use an overaged USB-B as output. Incredible...

The cable which is delivered connects to a standard USB-A - which is of no use when you want to connect it to a Focusrite 2i2 - that has a (modern) USB-C plug.
So, I connected it with a USB-A female-to-USB-C adapter cable - nothing works.

How have you guys solved that problem? Do I need a very special USB-B to USB-C cable?
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
SpriderMax
Last edited by Berretje on 16 Apr 2024, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Connectivity / USB cable

Post by cgrafx »

The Stage 4 requires connection to a USB host and the USB-B is the correct connector for that application.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
docbop
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by docbop »

spidermax wrote:Proudly unpacked the new Stage4 - and I could hardly believe that they use an overaged UDSB-B as output. Incredible...

The cable which is delivered connects to a standard USB-A - which is of no use when you want to connect it to a Focusrite 2i2 - that has a (modern) USB-C plug.

How have you guys solved that problem? Do I need a very special USB-B to USB-C cable?
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
SpriderMax
you aware they only transfer MIDI not audio thru the USB-A, you have to use the regular TS output(s) for audio. That why I have TS cables from my Stage3 to my audio interface. If I need MIDI then I connect the USB-A to my computer.
Last edited by docbop on 15 Apr 2024, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author docbop for the post:
spidermax
Macsaint777
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by Macsaint777 »

I can confirm both of these work perfectly. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... sb-adapter

These users thanked the author Macsaint777 for the post:
spidermax
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

spidermax wrote:Proudly unpacked the new Stage4 - and I could hardly believe that they use an overaged UDSB-B as output. Incredible...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
SpriderMax
I kindly suggest you to read NS4 manual carefully and understand how to use its USB port (considering that whatever is not written there is not supported) and have in mind the difference between Audio and MIDI, because it seems you are mixing things up a little, as others said; just guessing by the shape of connectors is not the right way to approach these matters.

The Focusrite USB-c is for connecting it to a computer, not for connecting keyboards (any kind, not just Nord) to it. If you want to record a keyboard audio using the Focusrite you will need to connect the keyboard audio outputs to the Focusrite Audio inputs (see also Focusrite manual)

If instead you need to connect NS4 to a computer to record MIDI (not Audio, which is not supported over USB on NS4) or update NS4 OS or use Nord Sound Manager or Sample Editor, you will have to use the NS4 USB port (just as you do when you connect any USB device, like a printer, to a computer)
Last edited by maxpiano on 15 Apr 2024, 10:43, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
spidermax
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

Nord world is not the sphere of Bluetooth, smartphone or digital audio. No need for USB-C. And yes, USB speed is 2.0 only. It may take some time to fill and/or read the built-in memory. The special memory Clavia-Nord utilises would probably not benefit from higher speed connections.

The USB connection is meant for downloading and uploading samples in the first place (together with Nord Sound Manager and Nord Sample Editor) and can be used for MIDI as well. Only the latter will work with iOS or Android devices, the rest is Windows/MacOS only.

But yes: Sometimes you'd like to be able to organise your Nord from a tablet computer.
Last edited by FZiegler on 15 Apr 2024, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
catosim
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by catosim »

I purchased a USB B --> USB C.
Easy to connect the Nord with Macbook (that only has USB C/Thunderbolt).
Also very handy when connecting the Nord with an iPad Pro, for MIDI purposes.
These users thanked the author catosim for the post (total 2):
Nordlicht, FZiegler
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland Jupiter X, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B, Virus Snow