String Quartet patch on Wave 1

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
Phunkfarm
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
United States of America

String Quartet patch on Wave 1

Post by Phunkfarm »

I own a Nord Wave 1. In this video at 1:00, Kamal Williams showcases a patch on his Electro 3 which I believe to be "String Quartet Leg". Please correct me if I'm wrong here. He says it is simply patch #4 from the factory patch list. Just love this patch.

Is my Wave capable of playing this sound library patch somehow? I bought my unit used and theres nothing corresponding to this patch.

I just got my Wave so could someone please explain to me like i'm 5 years old the steps I need to go through to get this patch (and samples if necessary) in my unit?

I also want that funky EP he plays to open the video on this ELECTRO. CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE NAME OF THAT PATCH?

Much appreciated.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Italy

Re: String Quartet patch on Wave 1

Post by maxpiano »

Hi and welcome to NUF.

You cannot of course get Nord Electro (or any other Nord keyboard) patch into your NW, but you can load in your NE the Tring Quartet .nsmp (using Nord Sound Manager) which is the base of that sound and you can find it here https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... le-strings then us it as waveform for NW OSC and adjust it to your taste with NW synth filter/envelopes etc.. and effects (e.g. adding some reverb)
Phunkfarm
United States of America

Post by Phunkfarm »

that sounds so complicated.

would a NW2 be able to do it?
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Phunkfarm wrote: 25 May 2024, 00:57 that sounds so complicated.

would a NW2 be able to do it?
If loading and using a sample on a NW is complicated for you then it would be the same (or worse) on a NW2...

In any case the fact is always the same: you cannot load a full program of a given Nord model into another one), so study your NW manual and NSM guide on Nord website and just try, probably just loading the sample would be enough for you.

Steps:

1) download that String Quartet sample from the link I posted

2) download and install Nord Sound Manager on your computer (+ Nord USB drivers if you are on Windows)

3) connect your NW to the computer via USB, switch it on and start Nord Sound Manager

4) on NSM go to the Samples tab and use the Download function to send the String Quartet sample to the NW

5) set OSC2 of NW to Sample mode then do a Sample Init on NW (see NW manual page 18)

Is it still so complicated? I hope not, just try :)
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 May 2024, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
FZiegler
Donator
Germany

Post by FZiegler »

There are two step in between:
3a) Make sure memory protection is off, so that you can work on your Wave;
3b) Make sure there's some free memory space for a new sample in your Wave, you may need to delete an existing sample before loading a new one.

Because of 3b) it's a good idea to first save everything to your computer (by creating a backup file) before starting deleting things.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
maxpiano
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Phunkfarm
United States of America

Post by Phunkfarm »

thanks guys...

Also just confirmed that OS 2.14 is necessary to update the Wave1 to be able to work with the newer sounds and that my OS is indeed 2.14.

#1 Do you guys both agree That "string quartet" was indeed the the correct sound related to the vid?
What was the EP patch he was playing opening the vid on the electro...that was a great dirty Rhodes I'm also after...(wondering if its part of the Wave factory bank or not (My wave is being repaired with a broken key do I won't physically have it until Monday)
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Phunkfarm wrote: 25 May 2024, 20:23 thanks guys...

Also just confirmed that OS 2.14 is necessary to update the Wave1 to be able to work with the newer sounds and that my OS is indeed 2.14.

#1 Do you guys both agree That "string quartet" was indeed the the correct sound related to the vid?
What was the EP patch he was playing opening the vid on the electro...that was a great dirty Rhodes I'm also after...(wondering if its part of the Wave factory bank or not (My wave is being repaired with a broken key do I won't physically have it until Monday)
That Rhodes is 99.9% a Nord Piano Library sample (.npno) played by NE3 Piano Section, which is not available on Nord Wave (it can only use Nord Sample Library)
Phunkfarm
United States of America

Post by Phunkfarm »

OK I dont know the NORD architectures well.
Please tell me what Nord keyboard I would need to be able to get those strings, that Rhodes, and at the same time be able to get funky Moogish synth lead lines. Is there one board that can do it all. Seems the electro doesn't have the synth stuff and seems only pad based stuff.

Would a stage or a lead do what I want? or how about a late Electro?

I have no need for live gig playing, this is only going to be to used with Logic for studio multitracking both midi and audio recording.

Give me one board or rack that can do it all.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Phunkfarm wrote: 25 May 2024, 23:43
Give me one board or rack that can do it all.
That board is the Stage (from NS2 and up)
Phunkfarm
United States of America

Post by Phunkfarm »

OK after much research I came to the same conclusion that the Stage is what I need. Thanks for that. I got credit for the Wave and will upgrade to the Stage 2 as they have a used one for me at another store (GC).

Im a little confused as to how the multi-timbrality works with the three distinct sections (piano, organ, synth) and the twenty voices. For use in Logic, do the three Stage keyboard sections have any bearing on how I use midi? And if so, could I conceivably load say my string samples and patches into the 'organ' area and use say my midi ch #1 piano, #2 strings (instead of the organ) and say a #3 synth lead and a #4 synth bass for a total of 4 distinct midi channels using Logic for playback - instead of the mandatory organ area? or are the three 'areas' only pertinent for live performance layering and have zero to do with midi in a DAW environment?

I hope this makes sense. I want to use my Stage as a songwriting tool only and would need to access strings and piano at the same time for DAW playback if my song has no use for organ as I am assuming I cant have both the string and piano patches loaded up in the same area.

This part of the architecture makes little sense to me.