Anyone use the Bastl Midi Looper?

Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.
BobbyT
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P
New Zealand

Anyone use the Bastl Midi Looper?

Post by BobbyT »

Hi, after seeing a couple of clips with ND3P users looping with a Bastle Midi Looper, I got hold of one and have hit a wall with getting the ND3P to play ball - I've had success with a Kord Minilogue XD, so the Midi Looper seems to function.

Going thru the 3P's limited MIDI settings, I have run (it seems) every combination to no avail and as I've seen it done, I know it's possible (example below)..

I have set the Bastl channel to 16 with the thinking it will read the default global channel. I have turned CH off, and on.. etc.. at this stage, I am hoping someone else here uses this combo (or another Midi looper) and can shed some light on my ignorance.

Fingers crossed
missoundscape
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2
Netherlands

Re: Anyone use the Bastl Midi Looper?

Post by missoundscape »

I use a Bastl Midi Looper but not with a 3P. And I don't own a 3P.
Did you change the default global midi channel to 16? Because the manual states that channel 10 is the default global channel on the 3P.
BobbyT
New Zealand

Post by BobbyT »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The default global midi channel is set to 10 - that was a slip when typing (it was a late night post for me).

Yeah, I'm really stuck on this. The bastl looper hears and loops a korg minilogue I have, but no dice on the Nord 3p sadly.

I have tried an individual midi channel setting and the global midi channel - both times ensuring the corresponding midi channel (voice) on the bastl - no dice.

Such a shame, it seemed like such great potential.
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

It might be obvious to you, but did you check that MIDI In and Out are plugged correctly?
missoundscape
Patch Creator
Netherlands

Post by missoundscape »

So you are on the same midichannel on both devices. Do you see midi incoming on the Bastl? A small led wil be blinking when recieving midi.
If that is the case the Bastl will record.

The use-case that you want, should be possible with the Bastl.
Have you tried sequencing the 3P with another device?

Another suggestion: you haven't muted the selected voice on the Bastl?
BobbyT
New Zealand

Post by BobbyT »

missoundscape wrote: 14 May 2024, 08:46
Mr_-G- wrote: 13 May 2024, 19:00 It might be obvious to you, but did you check that MIDI In and Out are plugged correctly?
Hi - I've tried various configurations, stripping it down to just the Nord and BASTL - but I think I know where I have gone wrong.
missoundscape wrote: 14 May 2024, 08:46 So you are on the same midichannel on both devices. Do you see midi incoming on the Bastl? A small led wil be blinking when recieving midi.
If that is the case the Bastl will record.

The use-case that you want, should be possible with the Bastl.
Have you tried sequencing the 3P with another device?

Another suggestion: you haven't muted the selected voice on the Bastl?
Really good points thanks - So, Yes on the same MIDI channel and yes I can see the flashing indicator light blinking - and even if I hit REC the light goes solid, so it seems to be listening and at first I hoped it was recording- BUT nothing plays back - and it is not on MUTE, I checked as I got the unit second hand and hadn't actually checked.

I have tried looping/recording a Korg Minilogue XD and it works like a charm - so the BASTL seems to be ok. I havent owned either the Nord drum nor Bastl for long. Comparing how I set up the Korg vs the Nord drum the only difference I can see is the Nord 3p doesn't send CLOCK whereas my Korg does.

Potential (not yet tried) solution I am hoping adding a MIDI Merger will allow the Nord to arrive into Bastl piggybacking Korg's MIDI clock. I need to wait to weekend to get a merger then try. If this doesn't work then I will roll the dice with a MIDI "capable" audio looper (but they sound like a mine field).
This is the only configuration I can think of that I haven't tried - so fingers crossed. Once I get a merger, I will report back so this is at least documented to help potential future frustrations as lord knows this has been a head wrench for me.

Nord—MIDI OUT/Korg—MIDI OUT >> MIDI MERGER >>MIDI IN—BASTL LOOPER
then
BASTL LOOPER—MIDI OUT >> MIDI THRU >> MIDI IN—Nord/MIDI IN—Korg

If this gets the Nord drum in the looping game, then I can look to incorporating this into my wider set up.
missoundscape
Patch Creator
Netherlands

Post by missoundscape »

You say the Nord doesn’t send midiclock. The Bastl needs some form of clock, depending on the clocksetting on the Bastl. Have you used the free running clock option on Bastl when connected to the 3P?
BobbyT
New Zealand

Post by BobbyT »

Hi (sorry for late response), I only just had a chance to try again tonight - I tried Free Running option with only the Nord Drum midi out into Bastl then Bastl midi out into Nord Drum. The Bastl's indicator blinks, so it seems to detect midi but if I hit record, it blinks but does not go steady red (and record) when I play. So even that simple set up fails to capture a Midi loop.

Nord drum is global midi 10 with individual channel OFF. Bastl voice 1 is set to midi channel 10.

I got hold of a kenton merger and was sure that would do it. But no. Actually the merger yielded weird results

Set up was ND3p out to midi merger. The merger also had a korg XD coming into merger. Then merger box out to Bastl midi in. Then Bastle Midi out into a thru box. Thru box midi out to midi in ND3p, midi in Korg xd (at one point also tried digitakt).

The weird result WAS Korg XD seemed to record on Bastl as the rec light went solid. Upon playback expecting the lorg loop, what I got was a midi clock pulse triggering the nord drum.

That was my lame af report back. Super disappointing as the set up I followed was as described on a YouTube vid I saw of a guy looping a ND3P with a bastl. Frustrating as I cant see what im missing - it is now 2am and I have work in the AM so, sux to be me.

Would welcome any insights to help me see what I'm missing. Time to go to bed and have midi nightmares.
wartaler
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2
Netherlands

Post by wartaler »

Hi BobbyT,

Sounds frustrating, I don't own the Bastl looper either, but here are a couple of ideas based on their manual:

-On the Bastl make sure that static octave offset is off. On the 3p's global MIDI channel you have to return exactly the same MIDI notes, otherwise no drum sounds will be triggered.

-On the 3p, keep the individual MIDI channels off (or at least make sure they're not using the same MIDI channel as the global) - each drum channel is monophonic, if one drum channel receives two triggers at once via MIDI it may result in notes cutting off, or other weird stuff

-Although I don't think your problem is caused by feedback, it never hurts to try this (from the Bastl looper manual): "you can activate the MIDI feedback filter on the Midilooper. While selecting the MIDI channel on the voice that is feedbacking, press the CLEAR button. This will turn on the MIDI FEEDBACK FILTER or in other words: disable the live playback on that particular channel"

-I don't think that the Bastl looper requires a MIDI clock from the MIDI input. Using either the tap tempo or free running option on the Bastl will allow you to go back to a basic MIDI setup without the MIDI merger.

-In the Bastl manual they're using a separate keyboard to input notes for the loop, perhaps you should try that too to diagnose the problem: connect your keyboard to MIDI IN of the looper, the 3p to the MIDI OUT of the looper, set the looper 'voice' to MIDI channel 10. Perhaps even try to directly trigger drum sounds with the keyboard without the looper, to check if the 3p receives any MIDI notes. Remember that on the keyboard you have to play the exact notes as set in the MIDI menu of the 3p to trigger the drum sounds.

-check/swap MIDI cables

Good luck!
Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
BobbyT
New Zealand

Post by BobbyT »

Hi Albert - Thanks for a very considered and helpful response. At this stage I am now wondering if the Bastl is buggy - as it now doesn't even loop and play back the Korg like it did whenb I first tried it.

I tried each of your suggestions and even updated the firmware on the Bastl looper (just in case).. I did have one question from your message. I didn't quite follow the below..
wartaler wrote: 21 May 2024, 22:25 On the 3p's global MIDI channel you have to return exactly the same MIDI notes, otherwise no drum sounds will be triggered.
In midi settings after setting GL channel [default as 10] I can see where to set the midi note [nt], I left it at 60, but that's all I can see regarding midi notes.. so how can 'return the exact same midi note from the midi looper? I wasn't sure how to action that..

Anyways - at this stage the irony is, a device that I had hoped to foster creativity has instead nose dived it.. I miss playing and enjoying music so I'm probably going to ditch the Bastl. Shame that.

I appreciate everyone's help/insights/time!
Cheers all!!