Piano samples on Roland KC-400

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Re: Piano samples on Roland KC-400

Post by cphollis »

Challenge accepted!

I went to Thomann and asked myself "what would I buy new for about 1000 Eur if I was playing acoustic gigs at restaurants, churches and bars?"

Here is the answer: https://www.thomannmusic.com/ld_systems_maui_28_g3.htm

There's a lot to like about this unit on paper. I see them around town occasionally, they sound great for what they are. Although I haven't specifically run Nord piano samples through this unit, I've heard them through similar designs, and I love the sound, even in mono. The 120 degree dispersion angle should fill the venues nicely.

If I didn't have my cheapo Bose L1 Model 1S, this is what I would be buying.

Just don't expect to compete with electric guitars, drums, etc. !
I think I have gear issues ....
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

ztusek wrote:
DJKeys wrote: You may want to consider the Alto TS408. They are $249 US everywhere and actually sound excellent for piano right out of the box. Lots of positive reviews, enough power for your application, and really good bang for the buck-
-dh
I'm thinking about one Alto TS415....
With Nord it is better to go stereo than mono, particularly for Pianos since they are stereo samples and forcing them to Mono will be anyway a degradation (even using the built-in Mono function), compared to what you can appreciate in stereo/headphones.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

maxpiano wrote:
ztusek wrote:
DJKeys wrote: You may want to consider the Alto TS408. They are $249 US everywhere and actually sound excellent for piano right out of the box. Lots of positive reviews, enough power for your application, and really good bang for the buck-
-dh
I'm thinking about one Alto TS415....
With Nord it is better to go stereo than mono, particularly for Pianos since they are stereo samples and forcing them to Mono will be anyway a degradation (even using the built-in Mono function), compared to what you can appreciate in stereo/headphones.
I don't see that as an ironclad rule, as there are exceptions. One is acoustic-level performances -- for example, a piano backing a choir -- where it's much more natural sounding to have the piano sounds originating from a single point.

I use stereo gear for certain venues, and mono gear for others. Keep in mind that 99.5% of your audience won't be able to tell the difference when playing quiet acoustic piano.
I think I have gear issues ....
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

cphollis wrote:
maxpiano wrote: With Nord it is better to go stereo than mono, particularly for Pianos since they are stereo samples and forcing them to Mono will be anyway a degradation (even using the built-in Mono function), compared to what you can appreciate in stereo/headphones.
I don't see that as an ironclad rule, as there are exceptions. One is acoustic-level performances -- for example, a piano backing a choir -- where it's much more natural sounding to have the piano sounds originating from a single point.

I use stereo gear for certain venues, and mono gear for others. Keep in mind that 99.5% of your audience won't be able to tell the difference when playing quiet acoustic piano.
I agree cphollis, mine was just a recommendation ("better" not "mandatory") coming also from personal and other fellow Nord players experience, mainly aimed at the player than the audience actually (if you position the speakers behind the player, not too distant between each other, they serve both as FOH "quasi single point" and player's stereo monitors at the same time).

A jazz piano player friend of mine, for example, has been using just a pair of Behringer BD210D (or maybe F1220D) and a small Behringer mixer (also in open air venues) and result was not bad at all (compared to money spent, total is below 500€)
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Apr 2024, 18:33, edited 5 times in total.
wweiss

Post by wweiss »

QSC CP8 or Yamaha DBR10 both bargain PA's with excellent sound!
wweiss

Post by wweiss »

QSC CP8 or Yamaha DBR10 both bargain PA's with excellent sound! Will need small mixer for four inputs. Maui28 with 50 lbs sub section is overkill for your application. If you need a sub in the future, the Bose Sub1 at 36 lbs is my top choice.
ztusek
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Post by ztusek »

wweiss wrote:QSC CP8 or Yamaha DBR10 both bargain PA's with excellent sound! Will need small mixer for four inputs. Maui28 with 50 lbs sub section is overkill for your application. If you need a sub in the future, the Bose Sub1 at 36 lbs is my top choice.

Do you use QSC CP8 / Yamaha DBR10 with Nord piano samples?
Last edited by ztusek on 12 Apr 2024, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.