Emdot Roland RS-202 String I Samples

Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.
SpotlightKid

Emdot Roland RS-202 String I Samples

Post by SpotlightKid »

Hi all,

I re-packaged the Roland RS-202 String I sample set from Emdot (available here) in the Nord Sample Library format. The sample set consist of 44.1 kHz, 16bit, mono samples for all 61 notes, each about 2-3 seconds long and loops ca. 1.5 s. The samples were done with the Ensemble II effect engaged at maximum brilliance setting. You can find further details in the README file in the original distribution, which I also included in the Zip file below, which contains the original samples (some filenames changed to make automatic key mapping possible) and the Nord Sample Editor project file.

The RS-202 String I sounds a bit thin on its own when compared to other string machines, but it lends itself nicely to be beefed up with various modulation effects. Here's a short sound demo with the built-in Chorus 1 and Soft Hall effect from a Nord Electro 3, additionally processed with Blue Cat's phaser in the DAW. The bass notes are doubled with a low Hammond sound, also from the NE3.
More audio demos of a real RS-202 can be found on Kebu's node.

Converting the sample set was much more complicated than anticipated since apparently the Nord Sample Editor is not able to read and use the existing loop points recorded within the WAV files and insists on creating its own loop points, which naturally messes the original perfectly smooth looping. So I had to write a little Python script, which reads the Nord Sample Editor project file and fixes the loop settings therein. Which means I had to create a parser for the .nwiproj file format ... but that's different story, which I will tell in another thread...

Enjoy, Chris
Attachments
Roland_RS-202-STRI-ENSII.zip
WAV samples, Nord Sample Editor Project file and README
(11.95 MiB) Downloaded 330 times
Roland_RS-202-STRI-ENSII.nsmp
Nord Sample Library file
(5.73 MiB) Downloaded 759 times
Roland RS-202 STR1 Chrs+Rev+Phsr.mp3
Roland RS-202 samples audio demo with NE3 Chorus I, Soft Hall and VST Phaser
(776.31 KiB) Downloaded 2559 times
Last edited by SpotlightKid on 21 Mar 2013, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.
Gustavo
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Re: Emdot Roland RS-202 String I Samples

Post by Gustavo »

Sounds nice. Always good to hear to any Camel covers ;-)

BTW any tips on playing camel? I remember there was another thread that was asking for organ registers and such.
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
SpotlightKid

Re: Emdot Roland RS-202 String I Samples

Post by SpotlightKid »

No, sorry, I don't have any tips, I only started looking into playing "Lunar Sea". One thing is sure though: I only have one Nord, a NE3, and that won't cut it for the Moog solo parts. You'll need something with more controllers and direct access to the filter cutoff and LFO modulation amount.

Chris