Money for Nothing (using Sample Editor)

Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
Davywavy
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Money for Nothing (using Sample Editor)

Post by Davywavy »

The intro Money for Nothing is an epic synth exhibition, that we all know and love. By my count it has at least 6 or 7 distinct synth sounds, that come and go at various times, behind Sting's voice.

I have a single Stage 3 88. It can only do 2 synth voices at a time.

I'm wondering if it is viable to use Sample Editor to create a SINGLE sample, with all 6 or 7 subsamples, mapped across the 88 keys. You'd simply learn when to trigger the various sounds, which all have their own lengths.

Before I attempt this project, with a bunch of VST's that I have on my Mac, or the Nord Synth itself, I'm I missing anything?

Is there any reason why this isn't possible? It seems to me that if you can map a whole drum kit on various Nord keys, why can't you simply do the same with a bunch of synth sounds, triggered by different keys.

I'm looking for guidance from all you sample gurus.

With thanks!!
jweisgal
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Re: Money for Nothing (using Sample Editor)

Post by jweisgal »

Im in the same boat - once you are past the opening I think it just needs a digital synth (was originally done on a DX-7) and an organ (typical warm dire straights organ) - let me know how you work out - I may try to program this on my stage 3 this week
Elias

Post by Elias »

Being that it's a DX7 heavy song, most of the sounds might already have DX7 (or Dexed) programs available on the internet. One, possible the most important one is already in both *.nsmp format, and as a raw sample source on this forum.

Splitting inside of an *.nsmp is tried and tested i.e. numerous samples on Uptown Funk for example. The things you need to be acutely aware of are A: hthe sounds have to be correctly level matched in the *nsmp. B: any velocity, filter, envelope or FX will apply to the whole section. What you export (from NSE) is what you get.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Davywavy

Post by Davywavy »

Thanks Elias. I have the Arturia DX7 virtual synth. I agree that the song is heavy in FM type sounds.