Tips for program Only the Children - Toto

Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
jonsson
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Tips for program Only the Children - Toto

Post by jonsson »

Hi! Could anyone help me how I can make my Nord sounding like Toto's Only the Children? There are synth sounds and piano sounds and now I might only be interested in piano sounds in the verse and chorus. What I could do that I can make the piano sounding as cool as it sounds in the verse? In the chorus it doesn't seem to be a basic piano either, there is some brightness or something else with it.

Thank you for your help! It would be really great if I managed to sound as much like the real Toto as possible.
Elias

Re: Tips for program Only the Children - Toto

Post by Elias »

I like to layer a grand piano (in my case a the White Grand), with DigiGrand 1. The acoustic gives a natural body, while the digital gives a really nice sparkle and brightness. It will overall sound less static, as there are slight differences in tuning between the samples (also try with Grand + Upright or any other combo). Tasteful chorus, delay, compression, (EQ) and reverb on both pianos. For maximum effect, use different chorus and delay settings on them. I use this piano sound exclusively on stage, for all songs.

But some songs require something a bit extra, like in this case. Then I just add a synth layer. For example on "The Best" (Tina Turner) I've layered it with the D50 sample that also appears on the original studio version. I also have one version with some strings added to fill up the sound. This is what the Stage 3 excels at.

Now for this exact song: I hear a lot of octaves on the piano. Not sure how it was achieved in the studio, but that's what gibes it the brightness. 2 alternatives on the Stage 3:
A: just change the octave range on one of the pianos. Might get you close enough with the brightness, but will take away from the fullness (because the piano layers aren't working in the same register anymore). Wether that's a bad thing or not.
B: add synth layer(s) with up-octaved oscillators (or an alternative method), to achieve that sense of "brightness or something else".
You're probably best off adding synth layers anyway. Just look for the right balance between octaves and fullness and punchiness all those cool words.

And the synth programs that you layer on the pianos don't need to be anything crazy. They just need to blend in with the piano, if (like in this case) all that's needed is "brightness or something else". So often fast attack is a good thing, maybe cut out the bottom (so it's not competing with the piano. Find the healthy amount unison/detune/thickness.

If the stars align, I'll upload the programs here that I talked about but for the mean time just try it out. Not that complicated to be honest, just some playing around with chorus rates and delay times.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Here is the base of all my piano programs. White Grand XL (can well be substituted) + DigiGrand 1.
Seasoned Grand.ns3f
(592 Bytes) Downloaded 27 times
I just did some playing around on my Stage 3: added piano timbre "bright", and layer detune 1. And finally a subtle pad for good measure.
Toto Grand n Pad.ns3f
(592 Bytes) Downloaded 24 times
EDIT: A bundle that also includes the Stringed and D50 bell versions. I swapped the White grand for the Clavinet to reduce file size.
Piano Bundle compact.ns3fb
Relink a Grand Piano of your choice to panel A
(22.4 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Attachments
Seasoned Grand, Toto Grand, Toto Grand + Pad.mp3
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Seasoned Grand, Stringed Grand, Best Grand.mp3
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by Elias on 19 Jan 2024, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Elias for the post:
ericL
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

Great sounds, Elias! Thank you! I am loading these up and have a song in mind for one or both of them.

I've done a similar approach usually layering a Grand with CP80 and underlying synth pads assigned to the control pedal.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.