How to get organ tone like Hailu Mergia / similar ethiojazz

Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
NORD420
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

How to get organ tone like Hailu Mergia / similar ethiojazz

Post by NORD420 »

I'm trying to emulate some of the classic tones of ethiopian jazz, particularly the organ on Hailu Mergia's album Wede Harer Guzo (e.g., the song Anchin Kfu Ayinkash). I have a Nord Stage 3. Any tips on organs/drawbar settings/effects I should be using to get this tone? I saw him perform recently and forgot to leer at the Nord he was using!
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: How to get organ tone like Hailu Mergia / similar ethioj

Post by ericL »

I am not familiar with the song, artist, or genre (LOL)...I found this on YouTube, if it's the right song/version:

This organ sounds a bit like a roller rink type of sound...not sure if it's Hammond or Lowrey, or something else...very transistor sounding with vibrato and reverb.

I'd look at the Vox and Farfisa section of the NS3 for some of this...also if using the B3 model, using mostly the even drawbars will get you close to this...with some C/V.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

If that YouTube video is the sound you're looking for, I'd start with a hammond model, something like 408726600 or thereabouts, Leslie fast (maybe a V3 vibrato instead of the Leslie) lots and lots of reverb.

The later solo sound around the 3 minute mark sounds more like a transistor organ, but you might be able to make it work by pulling the 8th drawbar or so…
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
mountain55
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by mountain55 »

Hailu Mergia used a Yamaha YC-30
These users thanked the author mountain55 for the post (total 2):
analogika, ericL