[NSE] - Dynamics/appropriate settings per category ?

Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

[NSE] - Dynamics/appropriate settings per category ?

Post by cookie »

In the Nord Sample Editor, category by default is User and Dynamics is not enabled.

I read from the NSE user manual that based on the category, enabling Dynamics will : trigger "appropriate" settings (Amplitude, Filter velocity response, envelope shape).
Dynamics.jpg
Dynamics.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Does anyone has more information on those 3 values for each category ?
I did tend to generate "User" category by default (as those fixed value don't cover all the sound types) + enabling Dynamics, but I'm now wondering if selecting the right/approaching category influences the overall sound.

On my Stage 3 (also on Stage 2), I do see the 2 velocity buttons in "MOD AMP" and "AMP ENV". How about the "Filter Velocity Response" (maybe only available on Stage 4, I don't have the Synth Panel view) ?

Fred
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: [NSE] - Dynamics/appropriate settings per category ?

Post by maxpiano »

I guess it refers to the settings for the Electros (where you cannot edit Env shape for example) and used also as init defaults in NS synth when you load the sample, but on NS you can change all of them.

I remember someone analyzed those defaults and posted results as an excel file, but I can't find the thread now.
EDIT: found! general-nord-forum-f29/selecting-dynami ... 23434.html
Last edited by maxpiano on 15 Sep 2023, 08:56, edited 4 times in total.
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by cookie »

YES, exactly what I was looking for !
This community is great helpful, thanks !

Fred
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by WannitBBBad »

cookie wrote:
YES, exactly what I was looking for !
This community is great helpful, thanks !

Fred
My post includes something important regarding whether or not the enabled "dynamics" are loaded when the sample is selected. It might work the same with the Stage 2:

"An error and a better understanding of NSM: As I have an early version of the Stage 3, I don't have the Synth Preset USER and SAMP lights or Mode designation under the mono/legato (page 37 in the manual), so as a matter of programming I never got used to selecting samples with the Synth Preset dial, I always used the OSC1 dial and set the parameters I wanted. Hurrying to get through 26 programs, I created the first few just by selecting the sample with the OSC1 dial and saving the programs before realizing my error that using OSC1 wasn't loading the sample's synth parameters. As I had Nord Sound Manager open while working, I tried something I had noticed in the past that may or may not be documented: double-clicking on a sample under the Samples tab will load the sample and sample synth parameters into whatever program you have open on the Stage 3. I quickly moved to each program, double-clicked the associated sample from the Samples tab, and resaved each program."

I would note that being able to select samples without loading the "dynamics" is a feature I would hate to lose, as I often will set up the synth parameters I want with a particular sound and then try other samples to see how they sound with my settings.
Take care.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 16 Sep 2023, 13:19, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author WannitBBBad for the post:
FZiegler
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

Based on my tests with the new Electro 5 I have received this week, the velocity information seems to be ignored by default if the filter vel is turned off, and when you turn it on it applies to any sample even in the user category with no filter settings applied. This is interesting because some other models do not behave this way -- if you have a user category sample with no filter or release settings it will not create any. Of course on a Stage or Wave you can simply create your own, but I noticed for example on the Piano 5 that most velocity sensitive filtering on samples was gone.
The good news is it probably does not matter too much whether this information is saved in an nsmp or not.