Katy Perry - Firework

Share your complete Nord Stage 2 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
mon8169
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Re: Katy Perry - Firework

Post by mon8169 »

Hi Darren,

Great performing!

There is a way to have 3 synths in a program to avoid cutting the sound when you change them. You just have to save the synth patches in consecutive order and then select them in the program while playing, rather than select the next program. It isn't always possible to achieve a good result, but mostly yes.

Ramon
These users thanked the author mon8169 for the post:
Darren
Cheers!
Ramon

Nord Stage Classic 76, Cantabile with Pianoteq, IK Hammond B-3X, NI B4-II and others.
Darren
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Darren »

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a play and see if that technique would work for this patch.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Wave, CME UF60, Studiologic VMK 161 Plus Organ, Roland Juno G, Yamaha P200, Yamaha TG77, Roland U-220, Kawai K3M, Roland Juno 60, Fender Rhodes Stage 73
Frits90
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Post by Frits90 »

Any chance that these patches are also available for the Nord Stage Compact EX or any pointers on how to achieve the sound in the verse?
jorgea
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by jorgea »

Good job. It appears that you have invested time and effort in creating this
NashVegas
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by NashVegas »

Very Helpful, thanks....
highmusician
Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by highmusician »

Hello everyone. I don't own Nord but I need patches to perform this song. I own KORG PA 800 and midi with logic pro and I can't seem to find any patches to play this song. Any help? Thanks
Darren
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by Darren »

The best I can do is break down each of the sounds so you may be able to recreate a similar program on your setup.

Intro / Verse
This is a Sync'd square wave with unison enabled (set to 2 oscillators) and a HP filter cut off at around 200Hz. To get the tremolo effect on the Nord, I passed it through the on board effects section as this allows me to bind the tremolo tempo to the Master Clock (handy in a live situation as the tempo can be tapped / re-tapped). Some synths provide LFO on the Amp section so you can get a similar effect there but whether you can easily adjust the tempo on the fly is a different matter

Bridge (1st verse)
This is just a hard attack strings sound. Layering a good strong pizzicato might be nice here here - I couldn't find one that really cut through the mix in the way I wanted so I opted for the String Orchestra from the Mellotron library. There's bound to be a handful of reasonable String samples on the Korg that would fit the bill.

Bridge (2nd + 3rd verses
Where in the first bridge we just have strings, the later bridges have everything going on. With the Nord, I combine the string sound for the 1st bridge with the Intro / Verse sounds. Notice on the video I roll the wheel up? This is actually bound to to the tremolo effect so that it becomes less aggressive.

Chorus
In the right hand is a strong hard attacking string sound - I used the same as I used for the bridge.
In the left hand I have a layer of the strings used in the right (but at a lower volume). Here I hit a limitation with the Nord, Ideally, I would have taken the square wave sound from the Intro and layered it over the strings in the left hand. However I needed the strings in the left hand to be quieter than the right otherwise the chords would overwhelm the staccato in the right hand. So, I 'approximated' a similar sound by using the organ section:
- Farfisa - Off, Off, On, On, On, Off, Off, Off, Off, leslie sim on slightly overdriven
- This is fed through the Tremelo effect (bound to the master clock) and then through a small amp simulator to lose excessive bottom end and make it sound a bit more 'synth'.
With your Korg, I expect you will have the flexibility to just use the square wave from the Intro, but I thought I'd explain this as others may find it interesting.

That's it. Sorry I can't give you a file that sorts this all out for you, maybe you could just buy a NS2? FWIW, I also now own a Korg Kronos and the one thing that limits it is the inability to easily share programs in the same way as we can here. Korg really need to sort this out.

Anyway, good luck and please let me know how you get on. If you have any questions on the above (like if I missed something), please let me know!
These users thanked the author Darren for the post:
tonespam
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Wave, CME UF60, Studiologic VMK 161 Plus Organ, Roland Juno G, Yamaha P200, Yamaha TG77, Roland U-220, Kawai K3M, Roland Juno 60, Fender Rhodes Stage 73
tonespam
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Post by tonespam »

Still sounds great years later! :D

Any chance of a NSMP or NSPM3 format of the same three patches? <3 (just wanted to ask before I follow Darren's description above)

Thanks!
cookie
Patch Creator

Post by cookie »

tonespam wrote:Still sounds great years later! :D
Any chance of a NSMP or NSPM3 format of the same three patches? <3 (just wanted to ask before I follow Darren's description above)
Thanks!
How about loading the Stage 2 programs in the Nord File Viewer and recreate the 3 sounds ?
Fireworks 2 should be straight forward as it uses the StringOrchestra sample (@Florence : strange the name doesn't appear, maybe it's not from the Nord Sample library ?).
For the other 2 programs, a bit tricker as both are based on the Synth engine but looking at the parameters (1 panel only), should not be impossible !

Fred