mechanical info nd4

Share your complete Nord Stage 4 programs/patches including sample sets used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.
max124

mechanical info nd4

Post by max124 »

good morning and the first time I buy an nd4 I'm asking you for info and it's normal for the keys to make this noise when playing I feel they are too noisy the shopkeeper told me that it's all normal because it does it on all the keys I'm attaching a video sorry for the mistakes servant of a translator thank you
WhatsApp Video 2024-05-15 at 13.16.29.mp4
(23.33 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: mechanical info nd4

Post by FZiegler »

Looks like an NS4 to me. 88 keys version?

The volume of the sound is difficult to judge from the video. But I don't hear a noise that would bother me. There is a certain sound while pressing the keys, and there is a soft release sound, too. Sounds well dampened, probably well lubricated as well. You might want to check if keys can hit neighboured keys - they shouldn't.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
max124
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
max124

Post by max124 »

FZiegler wrote: 15 May 2024, 22:53 Looks like an NS4 to me. 88 keys version?

The volume of the sound is difficult to judge from the video. But I don't hear a noise that would bother me. There is a certain sound while pressing the keys, and there is a soft release sound, too. Sounds well dampened, probably well lubricated as well. You might want to check if keys can hit neighboured keys - they shouldn't.
thanks for the reply, yes it is an 88 key ns4 bought yesterday I wanted to know these noises that the keys make and is everything normal also does your ns4 make these noises while pressing the keys with the instrument turned off?
Thank you
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

I do not own a NS4-88 nor a predecessor (with a Fatar TP/40 key action). I just compared to my NS3 Compact (Fatar TP/8O) and to my Kawai VPC1. Your sound seems closer to the latter - which is a high quality piano key action, too.

That's why I say that there is nothing obviously wrong to me. Would be great if someone with a NS4 would confirm.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
max124
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

The Fatar TP40 mounted in a metal chassis and without additional dumping felts (like in the Nord Stage but also other keyboards using the same keybed) can be that "noisy".

Relatively speaking, being the NS4 a stage keyboard is something which is not really an issue in that context and also at home I never found it as an issue: have you ever tried to hear how noisy a real piano keyboard is by itself, for example when playing with a felt (or a Silent model)? Btw some virtual piano even reproduce that key noise (Pianoteq does for example). The difference is that in an acoustic piano that noise is covered by the sound, while on an electronic keyboard you have the volume or you can use headphones...
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
max124
max124

Post by max124 »

FZiegler wrote: 15 May 2024, 22:53 Looks like an NS4 to me. 88 keys version?

so is everything normal? Does yours also make different noises on some keys?
I wanted to be sure it wasn't a manufacturing defect
Thank you
max124

Post by max124 »

maxpiano wrote: 16 May 2024, 09:01 The Fatar TP40 mounted in a metal chassis and without additional dumping felts (like in the Nord Stage but also other keyboards using the same keybed) can be that "noisy".

Relatively speaking, being the NS4 a stage keyboard is something which is not really an issue in that context and also at home I never found it as an issue: have you ever tried to hear how noisy a real piano keyboard is by itself, for example when playing with a felt (or a Silent model)? Btw some virtual piano even reproduce that key noise (Pianoteq does for example). The difference is that in an acoustic piano that noise is covered by the sound, while on an electronic keyboard you have the volume or you can use headphones...
hi the problem is not the noise of the hammers touching the felt base here in addition to what all keyboards normally do and softly it feels as if the key is touching the iron structure at the top of the front panel i.e. where the keys begin you can hear it a plastic noise if you press two keys at the same time for example mi and fa and you release them even gently you will notice that the keys touch on the top part of the key I attach a photo to help you understand
Thank you
Attachments
tasti.jpeg
tasti.jpeg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 246 times
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

That's exactly the "missing felt" I meant which in other keyboards is instead present, not the one at the bottom.
Anyway normally the keys shouldn't bounce so much to touch that part of the chassis.
max124
max124

Post by max124 »

maxpiano wrote: 20 May 2024, 09:01 That's exactly the "missing felt" I meant which in other keyboards is instead present, not the one at the bottom.
Anyway normally the keys shouldn't bounce so much to touch that part of the chassis.
I tried some piano5 and some stage4 all the same thing however on a five thousand euro keyboard they could have opted for a mechanism made a little better perhaps with wooden keys like cp88 only in the 88 key version

grazie per le risposte :thumbup:
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

max124 wrote: 20 May 2024, 09:27
maxpiano wrote: 20 May 2024, 09:01 That's exactly the "missing felt" I meant which in other keyboards is instead present, not the one at the bottom.
I tried some piano5 and some stage4 all the same thing however on a five thousand euro keyboard they could have opted for a mechanism made a little better perhaps with wooden keys like cp88 only in the 88 key version

grazie per le risposte :thumbup:
Unfortunately Nord unlike Yamaha does not manufacture keybeds, they have to buy them from general (non-competitor) 3rd parties like Fatar (the Kawai one for Nord Grand being the only exception so far and it has problems too)

So the only 88 HA wooden keys Nord may get are the Fatar TP40W or TP400W, which would increase weight over 22 Kilos (see Numa X Piano GT specs ;-) ): call it a compromise.
max124