How to clean your Nord?

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
Petrounic
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

How to clean your Nord?

Post by Petrounic »

Any tips and advise to clean your nords?Use any liquid or spray for buttons?Is better to use brush or any duster?
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: How to clean your Nord?

Post by Frantz »

Hi,

Here is something that works for me, a Swiffer Duster Kit :
It is dedicated, I do not use it for something else than the keyboard, to avoid bad surprises.
Plus the keyboard is always covered with the Nord dust cover.

Cheers,
Frantz.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

I second the use of those swiffer things to get rid of dust; much better than using a vacuum cleaner, which can cause scratches and knobs ending up in the vacuum cleaner. As for the keys or (fairly) smooth surfaces: I use a damp (damp, not wet!) cloth, possibly with some mild detergent such as soap meant for doing the dishes by hand (stuff like Fairy). Never use the stuff meant for dishwashers (usually a powder); that stuff is really aggressive.

Make sure you don't get any moisture in the display. If I need to clean those, if generally just breath on it (when it is cold = the thing has been off for hours) and use one of those soft cloths meant for cleaning glasses (the ones sitting on your nose).
Last edited by mjbrands on 03 Jan 2013, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nordlicht
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Post by Nordlicht »

Hello,

nomally I use for the removal of dust a normal (of course unnused and soft) paint brush. It's ideal to clean between the knobs/potis and also for the keys.
For a "wet cleaning" of the keys I use a cotton cloth with a bit of houshold glass cleaner.

Keep clean :thumbup:
Attachments
P1030001.JPG
P1030001.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 8920 times
These users thanked the author Nordlicht for the post:
Skylight
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Gustavo
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by Gustavo »

Man you guys make me feel ashamed of how I treat my Nords!! I got an Ns88 and an NS2SW and I keep both covered with dust covers but every now and then I use some canned air I have (I always got spare cans lying around) and just wipe off some of the dust with a cloth that I use for cleaning my glasses. Although I rarely do so and when I do I don't do a "deep clean".
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
cemo69
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by cemo69 »

Hello,
I don't understand the picture ?????
Attachments
what.jpg
what.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 8897 times
NE573sw / Microkorg MK1/Rhodes MK1 1979
cemo69
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by cemo69 »

Ohhhhh !!! I understand !!!!! revers Keyboard !!!! sorry !
NE573sw / Microkorg MK1/Rhodes MK1 1979
soratach

Post by soratach »

Ahhh. I have a slightly different cleaning issues than you guys which i could really use your opinions on. I gig with myNS2 88 around Thailand. And as many of us aware, Thailand is fill with bugs and insects, and those little creatures just love the white keys on my Nord soo much, they love it so much that they feel the need to climb underneath the keys all the time! And once they got in, well i never saw one crawl out alive, nor dead for that matter..... I'm really worry that their remains might get in a way of all the mechanical works inside. What should i do?!?!?!
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

I guess that opening the panel at some stage would clarify if you really need to worry. Is the kbd getting heavier? :)
Covering the kbd while not playing should be a good start.

Most insect repellents are based on some stuff that is probably flammable or damage the inside, so I would think twice before mothball-ing the inside of the instrument!.
Did you ask Clavia, they might have some good idea.
These users thanked the author Mr_-G- for the post:
soratach
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

I hate bugs in my computer, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about single bugs; sure, they smell bad if they get fried but in general they dry out pretty quickly and don't really cause an issue. Something like a nest of spiders in there might keep people at a distance. :D

Of course, a spider that is 3 centimeters across is already a fairly big bug in the Netherlands; that's probably a fairly tiny one in Thailand. If you get issues (and your warranty has expired), you could open up the keyboard and suck out any critters (and dust) that don't belong there with a vacuum cleaner.