Slight volume change w/ sustain pedal

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
JohnE
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Slight volume change w/ sustain pedal

Post by JohnE »

I recently invested in a Nord Stage 4 HA73, which comes bundled with a Nord sustain pedal. I've noticed that depressing the sustain pedal results in a slight, but noticeable, increase in volume. Similarly, when the pedal is released, there is a slight decrease in volume. This results is an unpleasant "pulsing" effect when using the pedal frequently and repeatedly. I've seen some posts attributing this to pedal technique, but this is something I've never experienced in decades of playing acoustic piano, or other electric pianos. Any suggestions on how this can be minimized? Is there a setting that can be tweaked? Thanks!
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Slight volume change w/ sustain pedal

Post by FZiegler »

In my eyes, it's absolutely natural that depressing the sustain pedal will result in a slight increase of sound due to the other strings resonating. This will also increase overall volume a little bit. That's what I experience on my acoustig piano, too.

Is there a sound setting that let's you control the amount of string resonance? That's the only point I can imagine where you might take some influence.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
JohnE
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars