Would you trust a K&M x-stand to safely hold an 88-key Nord?

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
JVSalazar

Would you trust a K&M x-stand to safely hold an 88-key Nord?

Post by JVSalazar »

The main stand I'm looking at is the one found here: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard ... lack?c=170. It's extremely lightweight (I presume since it is made of aluminum) at 2.45kg, but the weight capacity lists a 50kg limit, which I imagine is quite high for an x-stand. I have good experiences with K&M, owning a spider stand myself, but I want a even more lightweight stand for single keyboard gigs. I'm quite interested in getting a Nord Grand for home and live use, which is around 21kg (almost 30kg under the limit, but still pretty heavy) and I'm wondering if this stand could safely hold it. I can see myself stacking a small synth and some effects pedals on top, but I doubt the entire weight on the stand would surpass even 30kg on the upper end. Along side the low weight, another reason I'm looking into an x-stand is because I can adjust it lower than any other stand (besides heavier column style stands) that I've seen so far - I'm relatively short and have my lowest K&M spider arm comfortably set at a 22cm in height. I could probably tolerate something a bit higher if I used a taller seat, but it's nice to have the option of setting it low though. if anyone has another other suggestions though for another strong portable stand I would appreciate that as well.
Last edited by JVSalazar on 19 Jan 2022, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Would you trust a K&M x-stand to safely hold an 88-key N

Post by maxpiano »

A double X stand is more than capable to hold an 88keys stage piano of 19-20Kg or more, I used one like that (just another brand) with my NS288 for years (and previously with a weighty Roland FP7) with no issues and I am still using it with other similar DPs; in general I prefer to use table-like stands and recently I purchased a Quiklok WS421 which imho is a perfect fit for DPs in general and Nord Stage/Piano in particular, since it is very similar to Nord own stand EX but easier to setup and transport. It should fit well the Nord Grand too.
Last edited by maxpiano on 19 Jan 2022, 10:15, edited 10 times in total.
Tasten-Bert
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Tasten-Bert »

Yes, I would trust it.

I have an aluminium K&M myself, the 18880, at about the same weight, and it is perfect. As you mentioned a seat I guess you play sitting, so I can recommend this X stand also for 88 boards. If playing standing upright, then an X stand gets a bit narrow, small at the upper side which makes the playing at the far outer octaves a bit wobbly.

Cheers and have fun
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |
[hr]
... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
catosim
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by catosim »

Hi
I use the 18990, It's the same stand but build in steel instead of aluminium. The stand is very sturdy, and solid.
As Tasten-Bert says; it's a bit narrow when playing standing upright.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland Jupiter X, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B, Virus Snow
JVSalazar

Post by JVSalazar »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not too worried about the strength of the stand anymore, so I will go ahead and buy it.
M1tsos
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Post by M1tsos »

For gigging i use a chinese copy of this k&m and seems ok and my stage 3 88 ha is 19.5 kg plus cables for sure around 20-21 cause some times i have my ipad on it
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

If you are worried about the X stand mechanism that keeps it fixed failing and collapsing (there are some painful Youtube videos on this, so unlikely but it happens), you should add a belt or a strap between the two top horizontal bars to prevent it ever opening beyond your defined setting. :idea:
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

What do people think about these "column" stands:

I've seen them at a few clubs but I've never tried one. I typically use either a double-X or a Z-stand like this one, with or without the second tier:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12763

I've found that the Z is a little more stable and a better stand to use when sitting. The double-X is a quick set-up and good for standing performances, but there is no second-tier if one needs that for an add'l keyboard.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
M1tsos
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Post by M1tsos »

I can advice you the omega pro ruby red which i also have now for some days which is awesome very robust and 100% stable..

But a lot more expensive… its 10 times more expensive from the chinese x stand i used before but i have the omega pro for home.
And the chinese x stand for gigging
Last edited by M1tsos on 27 Jan 2022, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Tasten-Bert
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Tasten-Bert »

Gambold wrote:What do people think about these "column" stands:

I've seen them at a few clubs but I've never tried one. …
Hi Gambold,

I‘ve tried one some years ago which has been given to me by a band mate. I am a rock player (in my covers band) with sometimes heavy attack - for me the Ultimate wasn‘t stable enough, it was really wobbly when hammering the fast Child in Time chords or some piano solos. Therefore I‘ve never put such stands in my decisions.

Cheers from Germany, and stay healthy everybody
These users thanked the author Tasten-Bert for the post:
Gambold
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |
[hr]
... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20