All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Sound system to be switched off first

Postby Hlaalu » 01 May 2020, 20:16

In the NS3 manual it says that any (amplified) sound system connected has to be switched off before the keyboard is (and, conversely, switched on after the board has been turned on), and that's well and fine.

I was wondering, though, if any of you guys use a specific trick to remember yourself doing that every time you operate your keyboard. Because I feel like it's just a matter of time before distraction raises its ugly head and makes me doing the opposite. What do I risk exactly anyway if that happens? I know little to nothing about electric stuff...

I was thinking of putting some sort of barrier to the board power on switch, so that when I hit it with my finger it reminds me of switching off the speakers... but it seems a bit over the top. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hlaalu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sound system to be switched off first

Sponsor

Re: Sound system to be switched off first

Postby keysmcgee » 01 May 2020, 20:30

Its good practice to turn off any sound system starting with the amplifiers first. This way, if any other equipment makes a "pop" when powered down it won't damage the loudspeakers. Likewise, its always recommended to turn on amplifiers last, after all other upstream equipment has been powered up.

My NS3 doesn't seem to make much of a pop when turned off, but this can be variable based on specifics of the system you are connected to. If there is a lot of gain in the system, any noises made when you turn off the keyboard will be more highly amplified. Best bet is to get into the habit of turning on amplifiers (or powered speakers) last and turning them off first.
keysmcgee

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby analogika » 01 May 2020, 23:06

It's something you get used to doing.

After a while, you automatically cringe when you hear the spike in the speakers.

Having actually blown a tweeter or two from power spikes makes for good learning.
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Hlaalu » 02 May 2020, 07:25

So I see you learned it the hard way. :sad: :D
Thanks, I'll be cautious.
Hlaalu

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby alex78 » 02 May 2020, 11:35

I have witnessed this at rock festival a few years ago. The band came up and turned on their electro while all the sound systems were already on. The crashing sound was so terrible I thought the speakers would never work again...fortunately everything was ok and we attended a great show in the end! At that time I had just got mine and thought "oh my god, how powerful this thing is..." Since then I am always careful when turning it on.
alex78

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Synth Nerd » 03 May 2020, 14:00

All my studio is switched on from one Breaker,everything is plugged in so I only have to plug in one plug and the studio switches on,Including my speakers,if theres a power overload then the breaker will shut off anyway,However the speakers I use are ADAM A77x they also have a front On/off switch which I use to switch them on properly once the studio has booted,I Never switch the speakers on until all equipment has booted to normal use.

When I've finished in the studio I switch off the speakers first,then unplug everything from the breaker,it's something you get used to,I find having just one plug to worry about makes it less confusing than having to switch each individual piece on and off,do it as a habit and you wont forget.

I also have a digital mixer which allows me to create scenes for recall,I always have a shutdown Scene where all the Fader volumes/Gains are off,so when i finish in the studio I switch the mixer to shutdown scene before I switch off the speakers and then switch everything off,so when I reboot it again will be in the same off state so nothing is routed to be able to cause any damage to speakers if i forget to switch the speakers off(which is rare if I ever do it)then i simply load up the default Mixer template and everything is back to normal useable state.

I think i have forgot once in about 20 years of doing it!

Just repeat to yourself

"GOSO"

GEAR ON SPEAKERS...ON

"SOGO"

SPEAKERS OFF GEAR OFF
Last edited by Synth Nerd on 03 May 2020, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Synth Nerd

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby DavidSydney » 10 Jun 2020, 05:21

I developed a habit of pausing and thinking before switching power on or off on anything. Works for power tools too!
DavidSydney

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Postby fieldflower » 10 Jun 2020, 07:59

Habit.
I always switch everything "along the chain of sound" both on and off without thinking twice.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Return to Accessories and Amplification