Backup samples from Nord to Computer

Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.
Plasma Face
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Backup samples from Nord to Computer

Post by Plasma Face »

I've been downloading and finding samples and patches to load into my Nord Stage 3 the past few weeks and realized if my board crashes or gets stolen then I'm back to the drawing board since I didn't save the downloads. I see there is a backup button on the Nord Sound Manager but does that also backup the new samples and everything I've downloaded? If so then can I easily upload that file into another nord stage 3 if there is one backlined at a show?

Thanks
STeve
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Backup samples from Nord to Computer

Post by Schorsch »

Hi and welcome to the Nord User Forum :)

The backup function of Sound Manager saves everything which is loaded on the instrument except of the OS.

If you want to restore such a backup on a different instrument you should first make sure that it has the same OS version installed like the instrument where the backup comes from.
Last edited by Schorsch on 07 Mar 2020, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Plasma Face
Patch Creator

Post by Plasma Face »

Schorsch wrote:Hi and welcome to the Nord User Forum :)

The backup function of Sound Manager saves everything which is loaded on the instrument except of the OS.

If you want to restore such a backup on a different instrument you should first make sure that it has the same OS version installed like the instrument where the backup comes from.
Thanks and great to be here, also the stage 3 is SUCH a beast compared to my electro 2 which I used for 10 years. Okay got it, so i'll make a note of what OS is downloaded now and if I need to load the backup on another system, I would install this OS - download the backup - then update the OS if needed correct?
Schorsch
Donator

Post by Schorsch »

Yes that’s a safe way, but the backup takes some time for both creation and restore, you may test it to know which amount of time you should expect when restoring everything
Regards Schorsch

Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

ameinild
Patch Creator

Post by ameinild »

From Nord Sound Manager, you can also upload (from Nord to computer) each bank as a "bundle", where it saves both the programs and associated samples. This is in a way a "partial" backup of the selected programs and samples. You can also print your current list of programs and samples, so you can reload and rearrange them into the right positions. So there are several options that should get you covered. :thumbup:
[table=border:0px;][tr=][td=]Image[/td][td=width:100%;padding-left:10px;]Sound banks: Pianos | Organs | Strings | Atmos | Leads     [Threads]

Documents: NS3 Synth Waves | NS3 Patch Sheets[/td][/tr][/table]
Plasma Face
Patch Creator

Post by Plasma Face »

ameinild wrote:From Nord Sound Manager, you can also upload (from Nord to computer) each bank as a "bundle", where it saves both the programs and associated samples. This is in a way a "partial" backup of the selected programs and samples. You can also print your current list of programs and samples, so you can reload and rearrange them into the right positions. So there are several options that should get you covered. :thumbup:
How would I be able to bounce or export individual samples and programs from the nord to my computer if I wanted to export a sample, rename it on my computer, and then re-import it to replace the original one with a new name?
Schorsch
Donator

Post by Schorsch »

You do this with the substitute function of Sound Manager
Regards Schorsch

maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

Plasma Face wrote:
ameinild wrote:From Nord Sound Manager, you can also upload (from Nord to computer) each bank as a "bundle", where it saves both the programs and associated samples. This is in a way a "partial" backup of the selected programs and samples. You can also print your current list of programs and samples, so you can reload and rearrange them into the right positions. So there are several options that should get you covered. :thumbup:
How would I be able to bounce or export individual samples and programs from the nord to my computer if I wanted to export a sample, rename it on my computer, and then re-import it to replace the original one with a new name?
Consider that, if I remember well, the "sample name" from the keyboard perspective (i.e. what you see when selecting that sample in Nord Sound Manager and/or on the keyboard display) is inside the file, not sure that just renaming the PC file would change it. Why would you need that anyway?
Last edited by maxpiano on 08 Mar 2020, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Plasma Face
Patch Creator

Post by Plasma Face »

maxpiano wrote:
Plasma Face wrote:
Consider that, if I remember well, the "sample name" from the keyboard perspective (i.e. what you see when selecting that sample in Nord Sound Manager and/or on the keyboard display) is inside the file, not sure that just renaming the PC file would change it. Why would you need that anyway?
It works if I rename the sample file and then bring it into the nord then it changes the name on the nord. Just the way I visualize things, it's easiest for me to see:
KEYS - 80s EP 1
KEYS - 80s EP 2
BELLS - Haunting
BELLS - Quiet Scary
vs. seeing a bunch of different names and trying to remember what they do since some of them don't have the category above as well.
These users thanked the author Plasma Face for the post:
maxpiano
Plasma Face
Patch Creator

Post by Plasma Face »

Schorsch wrote:You do this with the substitute function of Sound Manager
But this only replaces the original. How would I download one file from the samples, so I can rename it on my computer to then bring it back in?