General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), and Nord Stage 3 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Opening NS3

Postby jjdnord » 24 Nov 2019, 19:54

During a gig the other night, a small piece of a quarter-inch cable went into my NS3 after a tragicomic accident. I was thinking about opening up the Nord to remove the piece. Any thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? It looks fairly straightforward but I would be worried about voiding the warranty or not being able to properly secure the top back on.
jjdnord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Opening NS3

Sponsor

Re: Opening NS3

Postby LewTheKeysGuy » 25 Nov 2019, 10:40

is it still under warranty? Do you feel confident and competent to do so? do you have access to a set of torx screwdrivers? if the answer to the last questions is yes, do it. I'm sick to death of distributors like mine in the UK getting sniffy over issues and demanding we be without our machines over simple fixes. just be careful around the power supply as there's quite a decent size capacitor which if touched would give you a jolt and bugger the keyboard.. just take care with it.
Life is worth living. Do not fear death, accept it and adapt accordingly. Don't worry, All will be fine.
Proud owner of Nord Stage 3-88, Nord Grand, Roland Integra 7 and slowly restoring a rack setup of various synths when I can find them.

The author LewTheKeysGuy was thanked by:
Monte
LewTheKeysGuy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby AdamStage2 » 25 Nov 2019, 18:35

jjdnord wrote:During a gig the other night, a small piece of a quarter-inch cable went into my NS3 after a tragicomic accident. I was thinking about opening up the Nord to remove the piece. Any thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? It looks fairly straightforward but I would be worried about voiding the warranty or not being able to properly secure the top back on.

I haven't opened my NS3 as theres been no need as of yet but have opened all of my other Nords,including my older NS2 they are pretty straight forward to open,normally there are several screws along the back panel and usually 2 or 4 on the sides,(in the case of the Stage within the end cheeks)and usually one or two that secure the upper chassis to the lower panel on the underside,there should be no need to touch the keybed assembly screws,once the screws are removed the top panel can be lifted up but be aware of any ribbon cables that are attached to the upper circuits from the lower key/Circuits assembly.

Its not a huge job but make sure the power is isolated before you do this however,this is at your risk if your not too sure how to do it or don't feel confident or comfortable then seek advice or you could risk damaging the unit and voiding your warranty.

It should be no more than a 5/10 minute job for a competent person to open it up and remove the foreign article inside and close it back up again.
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 25 Nov 2019, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Lead A1
Nord Lead 3
Nord Lead 4
Nord Stage 2 88
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave
Nord Drum 3P

The author AdamStage2 was thanked by:
Monte
AdamStage2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby jjdnord » 26 Nov 2019, 00:18

Thanks so much for the responses. I don't know how to isolate the power supply so it's probably not a great idea for me to handle on my own. I called the shop where I bought the Nord and they said they'll take care of it under warranty. If I mess something up, they said, the warranty is voided.
jjdnord

Postby Hobster » 26 Nov 2019, 01:52

I think the other two posts may have made the power supply thing seem more dangerous than it needs to be...
Just:
a) make sure you've disconnected the mains lead from the NS3...!
b) leave the machine for a few minutes (after you've last had it switched on) so that the large capacitor that Lewis mentions discharges itself.
c) once open, still keep your hands away from the power supply board just to be ultra-safe but really there shouldn't be any problem even there as long as you've done a) and b).
I personally feel that Nords are some of the easiest boards to self-service that I've ever owned (along with Kurzweil).

Having said all that, only open up your board if you feel confident in your own knowledge/ability.
If in doubt, do as you've done and get the shop/dealer/distributor/whatever to do a warranty repair :thumbup:
Last edited by Hobster on 26 Nov 2019, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

The author Hobster was thanked by 2 members, including:
Montejjdnord
Hobster

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby AdamStage2 » 26 Nov 2019, 07:39

Hobster wrote:I personally feel that Nords are some of the easiest boards to self-service that I've ever owned (along with Kurzweil).

And Dave Smith Instruments(Now Sequential) too,They actually encourage you to open the unit and repair/Service them yourself if your unable to ship them back to the factory,and their support is one of the best I've received from any Synth manufacturer.

You can clearly see when servicing/Repairing there gear that DSI think about every aspect of their instruments not just the usability and playability the same goes for Nord as well.
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 26 Nov 2019, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Lead A1
Nord Lead 3
Nord Lead 4
Nord Stage 2 88
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave
Nord Drum 3P
AdamStage2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Hobster » 26 Nov 2019, 13:03

AdamStage2 wrote:And Dave Smith Instruments(Now Sequential) too.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the Rev 2 Prophet 5 I owned decades ago. I've still got the complete service manual! :)
The one machine I've owned that I wish I'd never sold :(
Hobster

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby jjdnord » 26 Nov 2019, 16:59

Well, thanks to everyone's encouragement, I took care of it myself and am happy to say that the "foreign object" is out of the Nord and all is right with the world. I saved myself close to four hours of driving back and forth for the service, as well as the potential 3-week wait time.

That said, I was able to do it without removing the ribbon cables. If I had to take that step, I would have brought it in for service. Just too much to risk given the cost of the unit.

The author jjdnord was thanked by:
Monte
jjdnord

Postby Monte » 04 Dec 2019, 19:49

Thank you all for the question and info. I read this post prior to opening my Stage 3 Compact to remedy a rattle when I played. The process is indeed simple and straightforward. Remove the three screws on each end, remove the seven screws on the back cover, remove the single screw in the middle of the bottom. I carefully tilted the cover up, identified the loose screw causing the noise, and tightened it. Done quickly and painlessly.
nord_open.jpg
NS3 Compact open
nord_open.jpg (201.71 KiB) Viewed 161 times

nord_screw.jpg
NS3 Compact loose screw
nord_screw.jpg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Monte

Return to Nord Stage Forum