What is missing in Rhodes sampling of the Nord?

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
taglia74
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: What is missing in Rhodes sampling of the Nord?

Post by taglia74 »

baekgaard wrote:
taglia74 wrote: I Never say that pianoteq is necessary better. I love more details and I feel pianoteq full of that. Nord have a good sound for me but not the one I love best. Also the influence of dynamics in terms of response of pianoteq I like more than nord samples.
I hope that nord improve this aspect.
What are you using to play the Pianoteq sounds? I saw you earlier referred to a Roland board - is that what you use?

I think the Nord pianos can respond quite well to playing them, but it may require a bit of eq and effects to get there including adjustments to the KBD curve, as others also suggested. There are many layers on them - in some cases more than for some of the acoustic pianos (I measured them).

Check maybe some of the sample banks for ideas and inspiration.

Incidentally, I played a RD700NX with a NE3 on top for years - the Roland epiano sounds were horrible... others may disagree, of course!
I use both ns3 88 and kawai vpc1. I never spend time to adjust velocity on my ns3. I've a demo version of pianoteq and I feel so good with it, but at home, live I should avoid to use notebook....but till now it seems the only way or I put myself to the fact that's nord ep must be enough for me ;-)
PScooter63
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Post by PScooter63 »

Taglia, your “reference” is a modeling VST... you haven’t mentioned whether you’ve played/performed on a real Rhodes before. Where does a real instrument’s sound fall in your acceptance spectrum?
These users thanked the author PScooter63 for the post:
baekgaard
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

anotherscott wrote:
taglia74 wrote:
Mr_-G- wrote:Before ns3 I've had rd2000 and I find rd2000 ep more detailed
RD2000 has Roland's "SuperNatural" EP sounds, which incorporate modeling along the lines of what PIanoteq does.
I never said that... and I never had a rd2000.
taglia74

Post by taglia74 »

PScooter63 wrote:Taglia, your “reference” is a modeling VST... you haven’t mentioned whether you’ve played/performed on a real Rhodes before. Where does a real instrument’s sound fall in your acceptance spectrum?
I never had real Ep or wurli. I've had a lot of different gear nord, yamaha, roland, ketron, korg and of course vst.
I can say that in my experience I've found vst and some gear (rd2000 and montage) that are more detailed and dynamics than nord in Ep. That's my feeling. Honestly I don't care if it is equal to real instrument, I'm looking for expressive and emotional sound and, my personal point of view, for me nord ep are poor of details and not so much dynamics like some competitors
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

I guess the EP on the RD2000 must be a quantum leap ahead of those of the previous version Roland then? Or two leaps... :-)

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk
JayDee
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by JayDee »

The Pianoteq sound good taglia. The 1st MK 1 sample sounded pretty authentic. I probably wouldn't take them in place of the Nord's EP's, but I'd be happy to have them available along with them.
skipgilles
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by skipgilles »

JayDee wrote:The Pianoteq sound good taglia. The 1st MK 1 sample sounded pretty authentic. I probably wouldn't take them in place of the Nord's EP's, but I'd be happy to have them available along with them.
The Pianotew E-piano package is great, at least for home use, never tried live with my band. Note that your comment is incorrectly suggesting that pianoteq has samples. The pianoteq piano's and e-piano's are modeled, which is precisely why they sound so lively.
JayDee
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by JayDee »

You're right I stand corrected Skip. Still sounds pretty good, but again I am quite happy with Nord's EP's.