How do you organize your Gigs/Songs/Programs on NS3

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Bjosko
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: How do you organize your Gigs/Songs/Programs on NS3

Post by Bjosko »

Just a little tip I discovered. In one of the higher song set ( I do not remember the number, and do not have my NS here), programmed from factory, there are song set with 5 grands, then 5 uprights, then 5 EP and so on. So it are my shortcut if I suddently need a Rhodes or a Silver Grand or whatever.

In my band, we have more than 150 songs, I haven't taken the time to program everyone in, as much of it are reusable, and 90 percent of my playing are Hammond from another board.
/Bjørn
lenski

Post by lenski »

ericL wrote:I am a long (very long) time user of NS2 and NS2EX but recently got the NS3 and have been working on setting it up for gigs. It is a time consuming process to port over hundreds of sounds from NS2 to NS3, but it's pretty fun.

One thing I found helpful and thought I'd share. I noticed on the Sound Manager that you can't name a Song unless it actually has some data in it and most of the default slots are blank. It is way faster to create names from Sound Manager vs. on the NS3 panel, so here's what I did to expedite it. I created one simple Song as a template with some basic sounds in it (piano, organ, CP, synth, whatever). Then select that one from Sound Manager and "duplicate" it...after which time, you can select two at a time and duplicate those, then repeat and you can very quickly have as many Songs in there that are duplicates of one another as a starting point for writing Songs data.

After this, I then highlight all of the Songs together (like 100 at a time) and then click the "Rename" feature which will then give me the ability to cycle through each one, typing the name of the Song, hit enter and then on to the next...sitting there with my bands' set lists I can then create placeholders for each Song in very quick order - way quicker than trying to navigate this from the panel of the NS3. Then I just need to go through each one and point to the proper programs for each song. Saved me a ton of time and I bet there are some other ways to streamline.
That is an AWESOME tip - thank you!!!
These users thanked the author lenski for the post:
ericL
stringtapper
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by stringtapper »

I also use Song Mode as a setlist organizer. So a "Song" becomes a set or a portion of a set depending on the length of the gig.

For my regular Sunday morning gig a single Song slot works for the entire service every week because we never play more than 4–5 songs.

If I need anything else on the fly I have standard sounds (AP, EP, B3, pads, etc.) set up in various combinations in the five Live Mode slots, with a pedal I can hit at any time to go into Live Mode.
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12