Enhanced EP's and EP filters

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
Blueguitar007
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: Enhanced EP's and EP filters

Post by Blueguitar007 »

daniel70 wrote:
afroskully wrote:+1 for the enhanced EPs on the E5 even without the filter buttons. You can get a great dyno sound with the brite tines sample and tweaking the mid eq.
That’s right, but with boosted high mids you can get almost the same great dyno sound using the old Bright Tines sample. I like the original, not enhanced, sample even more, because it has more punch, at least to my ears...

I agree. Also I had the original Nefertiti and the enhanced Nefertiti on my NE5D and found no difference in sound. I thought maybe one key... Yes ONE key sounded slightly different on the enhanced but frankly not an improvement if there was a difference.. could've been placebo effect.
So if velocity is the same and no filters, and the EP sounds exactly the same... Then... Why..
Yes I know I didn't try the others but as I said it looks like the originals are larger in size comparitively, so if anything is "missing" wouldn't it be from the new sample? Are they compressing the files different? Being an IT guy too, not a big fan of compressing any files.

On the old and new Nef I set them up as programs and was doing blind audio tests switching from old to new and back to where I didn't know which was which. I made a few programs with the two.
Tell me what I'm not hearing, I've got pretty discernable taste in tone being a guitar snob. :D
I also plug my electro into well maintained (I do the maintenance) Fender tube amps cuz I like the sound and that's what they did back in the day.
I didn't wear $500 headphones and look at the sound waves on my DAW but my ears work well.
afroskully

Post by afroskully »

I wouldn't mind going back and doing the side by side comparisons again as it's been a while. But upon recollection, I do recall certain enhanced EPs having a more discernible key off sound that I was digging, especially on the shallow EP and maybe the EP2? I remember thinking the Nef was meatier but like I said it's been a while. I think the brite tines was the one I hadn't really compared to the old version. I'll start there.
afroskully

Post by afroskully »

ok... i'm back after side by side comparisons of the brite tines EP original version vs the XL enhanced. To my ears, the enhanced XL has a more authentic bell sound than the original with great bark. I can see why the original could sound punchier, but with tweaking the eq I think the enhanced one is just as punchy with better bell harmonics. YMMV
cookie
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by cookie »

The new Dyno filters are important for me on the enhanced EPs (not available on the previous versions).

Fred