Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, and the Nord Grand.

Re: How to Record to a DAW // What cable do i need?

Postby peppermint » 12 Mar 2019, 22:14

Cool, thx !

One last Question when i have a Profi here ;)

I would like to connect a Roland CubeStreet to the UMC404. Thats a Stereo Preamp ( https://www.roland.com/de/products/cube_street/ )

For now the Cube is connectet to the right/left out from the Nord Piano to hear the Sound.

If i want to connect the Cube to the UMC 404 where i must put it in and what for a Cable do i need please?
peppermint

Sponsor

Postby PScooter63 » 12 Mar 2019, 23:35

Headphone output of your UMC404 to the Stereo Aux In of your CubeStreet?
1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS cable would do it.
(TRS = Tip, Ring, Sleeve = Stereo)

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
peppermint
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby peppermint » 13 Mar 2019, 16:16

PScooter63 wrote:Headphone output of your UMC404 to the Stereo Aux In of your CubeStreet?
1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS cable would do it.
(TRS = Tip, Ring, Sleeve = Stereo)

Hello PScooter63, Thank you for your Help!

Those are little Things i never knew ( That if it has one ring its mono and two rings its stereo )

Its cool to learn such little Things here !!!

Thank you all for Help !
peppermint

Postby 23skidoo » 14 Mar 2019, 01:16

peppermint wrote:That if it has one ring its mono and two rings its stereo )

That's not entirely the full truth - stereo often uses TRS connectors, but so does something called "balanced audio" which, in comparison to standard TS instrument cables (the normal guitar cables with just a tip and a sleeve, no third conductor), offers much higher rejection of electromagnetic interference and thus is used in professional gear for a cleaner signal and longer cable length without degradation of performance from interference.

You can also get stereo audio like the Nord keyboards do, with a pair of mono TS instrument cables (most pro gear does this with a pair of TRS balanced cables, each monophonic but carrying that fancy balanced signal).

So it's important to be able to distinguish between 'stereo TRS', a 'balanced TRS', and a mono TS aka 'instrument cable'. This has tripped a lot of people up before, so understanding the difference is worth it when you're starting out! The TRS cables themselves are exactly the same, the only difference is what the purpose of the connectors are on each end of the connection - if you plug a stereo device into a mono balanced input or vice versa, you won't get what you might expect unless you're aware that they're different uses for the same connector type and cable!
Last edited by 23skidoo on 14 Mar 2019, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
NLA1, NL3, NS3, Prophet Rev2, stack of Elektron, some Moogs, s*** to record with, etc. yadda yadda you know the deal blah blah gear.

The author 23skidoo was thanked by:
Berretje
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum