Nord Electro 3 61 upgrade, then downgrade question

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
jb1979

Re: Nord Electro 3 61 upgrade, then downgrade question

Post by jb1979 »

Thanks for your help everybody!

Finally the owner told me it is even better if I upgrade everything, because their next concert is actually much later than I thought.

So I installed OS 3.14 and the following sounds: Amber upright (L version because of the 185MB memory), Rhodes Sparkletop, Rhodes Nefertiti, Rhodes Mark V, Wurlitzer, Wurlitzer amped. It sounds nice!

I may use a Roland A-33 master keyboard too, this is better for this particular concert.
Last edited by jb1979 on 26 Jun 2018, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Arjan P
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by Arjan P »

Ha! Didn't even know the 3.14 was available. Thanks ;-)
jb1979

Post by jb1979 »

you're welcome
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

jb1979 wrote: So I installed OS 3.14 and the following sounds: Amber upright (L version because of the 185MB memory), Rhodes Sparkletop, Rhodes Nefertiti, Rhodes Mark V, Wurlitzer, Wurlitzer amped. It sounds nice!
That's a nice selection and will cover a lot of mileage. If you would mainly be playing the 61 from its own keys, you don't need the L piano versions as the difference between Med and L is largely in how the sympathetic resonance coverage is wider (L) vs only the middle range (Med). If you play using a full 88 key weighed controller, it might be better to use the L version if you play a lot where the piano is (sonically) exposed. But the difference in a live context may not be that great -- just in case you want to add other pianos too.

Choices, choices, choices...
Last edited by baekgaard on 27 Jun 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
jb1979

Post by jb1979 »

baekgaard wrote: That's a nice selection and will cover a lot of mileage. If you would mainly be playing the 61 from its own keys, you don't need the L piano versions as the difference between Med and L is largely in how the sympathetic resonance coverage is wider (L) vs only the middle range (Med). If you play using a full 88 key weighed controller, it might be better to use the L version if you play a lot where the piano is (sonically) exposed. But the difference in a live context may not be that great -- just in case you want to add other pianos too.

Choices, choices, choices...
Thanks for the tip about M and L. Actually even on 61 keys I transpose to lower octave when I play the bass part, so it depends.
Anyway, for the concert I plugged a Roland A-30 master keyboard (76 keys from E to G), mostly because one of the Electro keys had a minor sensitivity problem. Surprisingly the A-30 matched the Electro velocity curves better than the A-33. I have no 88-key controller at the moment.
I used the Nefertiti Rhodes, the new Wurlitzer and the Amber upright (only for 2 tracks because I don't like playing acoustic piano on the A-30). Those new sounds are great! I did not have the time to program organs, and I was supposed to play piano anyway.
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

jb1979 wrote: I used the Nefertiti Rhodes, the new Wurlitzer and the Amber upright
Yes, these are really nice (e)pianos and work very well in many settings :-)