NS3compact piano HELP?!

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
cjponthier
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: NS3compact piano HELP?!

Post by cjponthier »

Just connect the box between your master and the nord using channel 1 (or any channel you prefer as long as the master and Nord match up). When you play the other sounds directly on the Nord keyboard, the midi box has no impact whatsoever. The midi only impacts velocity when playing the Nord sounds from the master keyboard. By the way, if you play organ and synth sounds from the master keyboard, you really won’t notice he impact from the midi box since I don’t believe velocity does anything, only pianos.

When you program the midi box, you will need to connect the PC to the MIDI of the box and transmit your settings. After programming, connect the midi out from the master keyboard to the midi in of the Midi box, and then connect the midi out of the box to the midi in of the Nord.
These users thanked the author cjponthier for the post:
maurich
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

@cjponthier: may I ask which of the 40 velocity presets you have chosen to play the NS3 pianos from your Kronos?
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
cjponthier

Post by cjponthier »

Hervshahn,
I picked “user” and imported preset velocity curve 24, and then clicked the “bend up” button 3 times. I’m sure just using 24 would have been good enough.
These users thanked the author cjponthier for the post:
Schorsch
maurich
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by maurich »

cjponthier, thank you a lot! :)
friendben
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by friendben »

Something that has worked for me from the NS2 days, is to use two different pianos together. I pick two that sound similar, but different, and adjust the EQ on them to sound as close as I can get them, set the velocity curves different for each, and activate both panels. From there I spend hours "tweaking". When I'm done, not only has the piano come alive, but I've tweaked my playing to take advantage of the new expressiveness. Now I'm bored playing my acoustic.
Nord Stage 3 HP76
Nord Wave
Yamaha Disklavier Upright
Dave Smith Mopho
Korg Prophecy