List of Nord Stage 3 known issues/bugs

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Hlaalu

Re: List of Nord Stage 3 known issues/bugs

Post by Hlaalu »

I found a bug in the handling of MIDI Program Changes.

The manual states that PC and CC messages are only sent/received on the Global Channel (p. 56) -- provided that the settings (MIDI menu, 3rd page) allow so.

This isn't quite what happens. CC messages are sent/received, accordingly with the abovementioned settings, also on the Panel A and B MIDI channels (which is actually a very desirable feature! So in this case it's good it's a "bug"). (There is an exception though: it seems that CC messages regarding Song mode, Live mode and Song part change only get into the Stage 3 via Global channel.)

The problem is Program Change messages. They are indeed only sent/received on the Global channel, but while they are correctly SENT only if the setting is enabled to do so, they are *always* received by the NS3 even if the setting is on OFF, or Send only. This is clearly a bug.

Of course, other than fixing the MIDI settings so that OFF and Send only *really* mean OFF and send only, the most desirable thing would be that Clavia made PC messages sendable/deliverable also on Panel A and B MIDI channels, as they did with CC messages...

NB: The Extern section doesn't have anything to do with this. PC messages are always sent if triggered.

I'll add this to the Google sheet... truly hoping Clavia will eventually fix it.
Last edited by Hlaalu on 23 Aug 2020, 20:52, edited 3 times in total.
zedogas
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by zedogas »

Just a feedback about this case. Until today nothing happened. In spite the Clavia central (sweden) said that will replace the mainboard in warranty (w/ no costs) but OPMAT in Brazil did nothing. I'm + 120 days without the keyboard. Unfortunately now is a lawsuit. :thumbdown: :wave:

Nord Service <service@clavia.se>
seg., 15 de jun. 04:27
para mim, Morten, support
Hi Everton,
I would like you to know that I am personally working hard on getting your unit full attention at Shyurix in São Paulo.
Osvaldo at Omnipol (distributor) and Adriano (Shyurix) will return with a full parts list as soon as possible.
The flash read failure your video refers to is confirmed and you will have a new main board installed under warranty, free of charge.

Regards
Johan S

zedogas wrote:
zedogas wrote:Hi everyone. Please watch my video, and help if u can. I talk in brazilian portuguese but u you will notice the bizarre error/bug in nord stage 3 ha 88 brand new acquired less than 3 months. 2.54 software formatted and I put the factory sounds. thank so much...
Here in Brazil the official seller (OPMAT - very rude by the way) just told me that it's a very rare error/bad function occurred. Obviously this bad funtion was hidden on the motherboard when it was manufactured, proving that worked well so little time. The central Clavia ​​sweden didn`t answer to me yet :facepalm: :thumbdown: :wave:
P_20200523_132334_1.jpg
[/size]
Last edited by zedogas on 26 Aug 2020, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
no one is irreplaceable but every person is unique :keyboard:
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... te-history

It seems that the Wave 2 was affected by the same Program Change messages bug. Now I hope they will bring the fix over to the Stage 3... Technically, I'm guessing it isn't anything that complex.
Last edited by Hlaalu on 02 Nov 2020, 17:35, edited 4 times in total.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

It seems that the Electro 6 was affected as well!

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... te-history

Now I am pretty sure they're going to fix it for the Stage 3 as well... but let's hope that the S3 update will bring along more fixes other than this one. ;)

To Clavia: if you are reading this, please make the Stage 3 capable of receiving Program Change messages not only on the Global MIDI channel but also on the Panels' channels... a heartfelt :thanks:
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

I found a subtle bug in the Synth section of the NS3. When a Program uses a synth preset, the location and the name of the preset are shown in the third line in the main display. Now, if the preset has been modified for the specific Program, an "E" should appear next to it -- as well in the synth display. This only happens, though, when jumping to such a Program from a Program that had another synth preset in it. If, conversely, I go to the Program from another one which had, instead of a synth preset, just any synth setting, then the "E" doesn't appear, neither in the main display nor in the synth's.
Last edited by Hlaalu on 16 Nov 2020, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
neomad

Post by neomad »

Hlaalu wrote:To Clavia: if you are reading this, please make the Stage 3 capable of receiving Program Change messages not only on the Global MIDI channel but also on the Panels' channels... a heartfelt :thanks:
Indeed ! if and by chance you decide to double the 400 programs slots to 800, that would be more than welcome ! (400 is really small number...)
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

neomad wrote: Indeed ! if and by chance you decide to double the 400 programs slots to 800, that would be more than welcome ! (400 is really small number...)
Is that sarcastic? :lol:
neomad

Post by neomad »

Hlaalu wrote:
neomad wrote: Indeed ! if and by chance you decide to double the 400 programs slots to 800, that would be more than welcome ! (400 is really small number...)
Is that sarcastic? :lol:
:lol:
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
LA lefty
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Post by LA lefty »

Has there been any discussion on the forum about the change in the Vox drawbar configuration for the Stage 3? I’m very disappointed in the change from drawbars 8&9 controlling sine way and sawtooth waveforms respectively, to drawbar 8 doing NOTHING and drawbar 9 doing sine OR sawtooth waveform. Not only does this make the Vox model less true to the original, but it seems to make it impossible to faithfully recreate some of the great patches in the Vox/Farfisa patch bank for the Stage EX. I WISH Nord would put the sine wave back on drawbar 8 and return drawbar 9 to sawtooth-only for the Vox model. Does this change bother anyone else?
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

LA lefty wrote:Has there been any discussion on the forum about the change in the Vox drawbar configuration for the Stage 3? I’m very disappointed in the change from drawbars 8&9 controlling sine way and sawtooth waveforms respectively, to drawbar 8 doing NOTHING and drawbar 9 doing sine OR sawtooth waveform. Not only does this make the Vox model less true to the original, but it seems to make it impossible to faithfully recreate some of the great patches in the Vox/Farfisa patch bank for the Stage EX. I WISH Nord would put the sine wave back on drawbar 8 and return drawbar 9 to sawtooth-only for the Vox model. Does this change bother anyone else?
I am not sure this belongs to the bug thread, but...

It's true the control itself isn't faithful to the original, but soundwise, I am not sure there is something you can't achieve with the NS3 controls.

Here's how I see it. The volume of the sine wave is controlled by the drawbar themselves. It's as if the 8th drawbar was always pulled out completely. Then, you choose how much sawtooth wave to add with the 9th drawbar.

I'll grant you the 9th drawbar sounds more like it's substituting, as opposed to adding, a sawtooth / square wave to the sine wave... but it's hard to tell up to which point anyway.

By the way, have you checked the Program bundle for the Vox and the Farfisa by Barry Carson? They're excellent.
The problem is that they seem to have removed the bundle for the Stage 3 and only left it for the C1 and C2 series.

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... sa-library

I am sure there was a Stage 3 version as well. I know because I had downloaded that a while ago, but I can't find it now on the Nord website...