Nord Stage 3 - hammond B3 Sound

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
AlexV922

Re: Nord Stage 3 - hammond B3 Sound

Post by AlexV922 »

Hello everyone. I'm getting a Nord Stage 3 very soon and I'm planning to use all of it's good features. I just want to ask - at the end of the day, after all updates until this point, is the organ bad, or it's still very usable and good despite it's problems ? I've read a lot about the bugs and stuff, I understand what's missing and that there are better organ simulations, but from what I heard in videos and audio files, the organs are still pretty nice. Of course I can't tell for sure without experiencing it myself.
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

The organs are very capable. They are very similar to the ones in the C2D, as far as I know, and probably almost identical to the ones in the NE6. They are, in my mind, much better than the ones in the NE3, that I also have.

There are also not that many bugs left in the NS3; there are some quirks still and things some would like to see working differently, but Nord has been cranking out updates on a quite steady beat, so there isn't much to worry about, I'd say :-)
These users thanked the author baekgaard for the post:
AlexV922
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

AlexV922 wrote:is the organ bad, or it's still very usable and good despite it's problems ? I've read a lot about the bugs and stuff, I understand what's missing and that there are better organ simulations, but from what I heard in videos and audio files, the organs are still pretty nice. Of course I can't tell for sure without experiencing it myself.
It's never been bad. Whether it's okay, good, or great is subjective and also depends on what you're comparing it to.
These users thanked the author anotherscott for the post:
AlexV922
DanielD71
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by DanielD71 »

I’ve added the tall&fat, vent 2 and space for my organ..., but that is a lot of hardware, and if you crank up the organ volume the vent 2 will clip.

So looking at the mojo 61 YouTube video, and really like the organ sound, Leslie, chorus, etc.
Love my NS3 but the reverb into the Leslie is the only thing I do not like :-)

Regards

anotherscott wrote:
analogika wrote:Possibly: “cannot be changed, because they cannot change it without redesigning large parts of the system”?

If they “wanted”, they could change anything and retrofit all existing boards with new hardware. But they don’t “want to”. As it is: It cannot be done.
Right. And if you really want the feature and are willing to pay for the cost of a hardware upgrade, you could route the organ sound out of its own output, put it through an external rotary sim like a Neo Ventilator, and put it through an external Reverb unit, and then you can put them in any order you want and actually get better rotary sim and reverb than what's in the Nord besides!
Attachments
D7869513-D459-4CD9-BE34-2CF097F2A28C.png
D7869513-D459-4CD9-BE34-2CF097F2A28C.png (8.21 MiB) Viewed 2064 times
Daniel
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by analogika »

AlexV922 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm getting a Nord Stage 3 very soon and I'm planning to use all of it's good features. I just want to ask - at the end of the day, after all updates until this point, is the organ bad, or it's still very usable and good despite it's problems ? I've read a lot about the bugs and stuff, I understand what's missing and that there are better organ simulations, but from what I heard in videos and audio files, the organs are still pretty nice. Of course I can't tell for sure without experiencing it myself.
It’s always been pretty great.

The C3 Chorus and percussion volume were broken at first, so those details weren’t authentic until some time last autumn, and they added a Leslie rotor/horn balance setting a little later so you can set it to sound a little fatter now; that’s it.

As far as I’m concerned, the only thing I’d like changed is to have percussion trigger when you switch it on while holding down keys, and to have it mute the topmost drawbar. But really, those are details I can well live without.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
AlexV922
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
Schorsch
Donator

Post by Schorsch »

DanielD71 wrote:I’ve added the tall&fat, vent 2 and space for my organ..., but that is a lot of hardware, and if you crank up the organ volume the vent 2 will clip
Hi Daniel, just for curiosity - is this the order you have connected them: NS3->t&f->vent2->space or did you use a different order?
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Quai34
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Post by Quai34 »

I was thinking to do the same for my C2, at least vent 2, tall and fat later on and any Reverb like the TC Hall of Fame but yes, I was planning to do it in this order:
C2 (No Leslie Sim, no Reverb...), Tall & Fat, Vent 2, Reverb....
I might even try to find a sort or router switcher like guitarists une to switch guitars so, I could switch between the C2 and the Stage to go to the T&F, Vent and Reverb....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
DanielD71

Post by DanielD71 »

Hervshahn wrote:
DanielD71 wrote:I’ve added the tall&fat, vent 2 and space for my organ..., but that is a lot of hardware, and if you crank up the organ volume the vent 2 will clip
Hi Daniel, just for curiosity - is this the order you have connected them: NS3->t&f->vent2->space or did you use a different order?
This is the way I did it using output 3 of my NS3

Regards
Dan
These users thanked the author DanielD71 for the post:
Schorsch
Daniel
Asina

Post by Asina »

I used Nord stage 2 and now Nord stage 3. I am not satisfied with the B3 simulation, except the basic tone and drive sounds too synthetic. Will Nord support in the next update improve the B3 simulation?
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by analogika »

Asina wrote:I used Nord stage 2 and now Nord stage 3. I am not satisfied with the B3 simulation, except the basic tone and drive sounds too synthetic. Will Nord support in the next update improve the B3 simulation?
Have you updated to the latest version? You can adjust the Leslie rotor/horn balance, which helps a lot with the basic tone IMO.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio