Nord Stage 3 - hammond B3 Sound

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
kbmatson

Re: Nord Stage 3 - hammond B3 Sound

Post by kbmatson »

LeftyBass68 wrote:I love the way the C2D plays. Very close to my favorite A100.
The Stage 3 organ plays less 'great' on either of these Stage 3's.Will get the job done on the compact OK but still not organ 'action'.
Will satisfy most for sound but plays clumsy compared to the real deal.I am used to 'padding' on the HA88 but solos? Not so much on either Stage 3 thanks.
Go back to an organ keyboard and try those flourishes without mangling anything......sound is one thing.Tactile response is another.
Looking for the other features of this C2D on the Stage3? Not there.

Why would you possibly expect a "3 in one" keyboard like the S3 to have a fully dedicated organ-type key bed? If it played exactly like an organ then it would be an organ, and worse for piano, clav, synth. That's why Nord (and many others) make separate instruments for those functions - fully weighted keys for piano, organ key beds like C2D for pure organ, and synths with synth key beds for pure synth. For me - i wanted an "all in one" instrument, understanding that there would have to be some compromises to cover all those things in one instrument. I think the problem is not with the S3, but with your expectations.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

kbmatson wrote:I definitely had to work with my Hammond settings, the menus, the compressor, the EQs, etc. to get it where i like it - but now I REALLY like it.
@kbmatson: I wonder if you could share some of your programs for that sound, I am really interested in it?
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
kbmatson

Post by kbmatson »

Schorsch wrote:
kbmatson wrote:I definitely had to work with my Hammond settings, the menus, the compressor, the EQs, etc. to get it where i like it - but now I REALLY like it.
@kbmatson: I wonder if you could share some of your programs for that sound, I am really interested in it?
I think I might have somewhere - maybe earlier in this thread even LOL - I'll redo tomorrow if i can't find it.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

Oh yes - you did indeed, on page 39. I must be either tired or getting old :roll:

Thanks a lot :thumbup: :thanks:
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by analogika »

LeftyBass68 wrote:Stage 3 'organ' sounds fine.Just not as useable as the older Electro2 Hammond model IMO.I prefer an A100 to a B3 so those samples are my favorites.They drive the Neo Vent more like my A100
than my B2.
The Electro 2 was modelled after Volker Kunschner's C3.
Never heard a Leslie sim I could tolerate all night until the Neo Vent came along.Beside these real 'boxes' the Nord sims are a joke.
I tolerate the Neo Ventilator,just as much as I tolerate the C2D!
The Leslie sim in the C2D is a joke, or you tolerate it? I'm confused by your wording.
How about a 'chorus' organ like a BCV? How about an M3? How about another A100?
They haven't done an A100 yet. Judging from what you write (and my experience), they're better off just finding a different-sounding organ to model, rather than an A100 specifically, because A100s and B3s sound a lot closer to one another than individual A100s do to each other.

I'd like to see a modelled L-100 or M3 myself, too.

I might have to get a dedicated stage organ for that, though. I'm not expecting the Nord Stage line to get that detailed.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
LeftyBass68
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by LeftyBass68 »

The Stage 3 organs are fine,I use them.Menu could be larger,selection could include the A100 that is most certainly in the Electro2 model and the Stage EX.
It's right there in the appendix of the owners manual,on page 9.I prefer it's sound to the Stage 3 B3's.
The C2D is an easy choice to make for a dedicated organ.No I never use the leslie sim on it.I do use the 1/4" high level output to a 142 or whatever.
It needs the Vent Too IMO.An A100 should be included in the C2D as well.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by cgrafx »

You are aware that there really isn't any difference between an A100 and a B3 or a C3 they all use the exact same tone-wheel generator and preamp design.

The A100 had an additional built in speaker, but the rest of the electronics are pretty much completely interchangeable.

If you connect each to a Leslie located in a separate room, except for the natural variations that occur due to part variation (caps, coils, etc) you would not be able to identify which is which, and you certainly wouldn't be able to say which was an A100 or a B3 or C3.
Last edited by cgrafx on 16 Aug 2019, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
LeftyBass68

Post by LeftyBass68 »

Every Hammond/Leslie here has a set of headphones test right off the G/G terminals of the AO28 preamps.And you're telling me they all sound the same?Not the case.
I have ten of each to test.Thanks for the Hammond lesson.No two Leslies are the same either.Right off the cans this '63 A100 has more mojo on a single note than any single note off a Nord.
Have you recapped any amps or tone gennys? I sure have.
Last edited by LeftyBass68 on 16 Aug 2019, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
cgrafx
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by cgrafx »

I'm not saying there aren't variations between Leslies and Hammonds, I'm saying the core components of an A100 and a B3 and C3 are the same. The differences you hear are due to specific variances in the components used, not the design of the organs.

There are variations between two fender twin reverb amps, but its not because they are intended to be different, its just a result of the variation in component values and age.

The resisters are probably +/- 10%-20% and one can only guess at what the capacitor tolerances are after 20, 30, 40+ years.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
LeftyBass68

Post by LeftyBass68 »

Overall the Stage series gets the job done better as an all in one than others in a live situation; is my experience. The organ could have a little deeper menu and selection.
The Stage has the least features of any organ clone in the lineup.The A100 in the Electro2 manual explains in detail the bass boost from the internal AO39 tone cab amp in an A100.
I prefer my signal from the bass boosted 5 pin outlet,allows me more clean gain with perc before breakup set at 6688 etc. instead of a B3 8888! Not everyone has a B3 as a favorite!
I'll take all the dynamic range I can get after turning the air cap in the doghouse up a half turn or so.......thanks.
Oh yeah,the Nord Stage organ....where was I? It will get it done and never provide a satisfactory tactile experience like a C2D or A100 will.