Help with custom electro 3

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
BravoJr
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Re: Help with custom electro 3

Post by BravoJr »

reminds me of a DSI Prophet!

Looks sharp!
Last edited by BravoJr on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Nord C2, NE 3, Rhodes Mk V, Memotron, Moog Slim Phatty, Moog Little Phatty, MicroKorg XL, Hammond XK3C, Hammond M3, Leslies 860/760, Fender Deluxe Reverb.
THROTTUR
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Post by THROTTUR »

Amazing job on the re-painting. How about all connections (electronic) ? No prob??
Regards
Jón
Last edited by THROTTUR on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
doctorgeorge
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by doctorgeorge »

THROTTUR wrote:Amazing job on the re-painting. How about all connections (electronic) ? No prob??
Regards
Jón
Thanks Jón! The connections aren't too difficult to work around, you just have to be careful. There's a single band of wires that connects the top panel to the main board (which is screwed to the bottom), and it clicks in and out of place. As for the top panel: you can simply pull off the rotating knobs, and unscrew the printboard from the panel.

Just be careful! ;)

- Gerben
Last edited by doctorgeorge on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Custom painted Nord Electro 3, previously Stage Classic.

Check out my band: http://www.facebook.com/thecosmiccarnival

Peace!
Vadzvik
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by Vadzvik »

Hey! I was thinking recently about "new" materials and technics which could be used in customisation and found two: plastic dye with rit colours and car vinyl wrapping sheets
has anybody had experience?
Last edited by Vadzvik on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
hand solo

Post by hand solo »

man, that is gorgeous work.....could have used a black Nord when i was asked to play for a funeral.

red a bit much, yes?
Last edited by hand solo on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
havoc
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by havoc »

With the money you saved you can buy the rest of your carpet :thumbup:
jossand
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by jossand »

I checked this blog even before I bought my Electro,
and did some more research.
This is the result of only one hour of work and only 4 euro and 30 cents.
I used a black vynil sticker which they sell at the local bookstore per 1 meter.
cut out the part I didn't want black, and put it on patiently.
Attachments
Nord Electro Black
Nord Electro Black
image_1357323187653255.jpg (639.42 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
Last edited by jossand on 12 Feb 2013, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jossand for the post (total 2):
Gustavo, Berretje
Gustavo
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by Gustavo »

I also had the same idea, but couldn't find a place to get a big enough sticker for my NS2 SW. Plus I do not want to black it out, I actually want it in green as its my preferred color. :)
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

Gustavo wrote:I also had the same idea, but couldn't find a place to get a big enough sticker for my NS2 SW.
Vinyl backed with an adhesive is used a lot for advertising, etc. It comes on rolls and is usually processed in a cutting plotter (cutter), where bits of the vinyl are cut away. The cutter cuts through the vinyl, but not through the backing sheet, so you can remove any bits that need removing (weeding). Depending on the design, you'd then stick a special sheet to the vinyl side with a fairly weak adhesive. You can then remove the paper backing, apply the vinyl to whatever it needs to be fixed to (a shop window maybe). Once it is in place, you can simply pull the tape used for transferring loose and the vinyl will stick to the surface it was applied to, in the design it was cut out in.

Anyway... you could buy some of that vinyl and use that for your Nord. Normally you'd buy it on rolls, but that'd be fairly expensive since you only need a bit. If you search for a place that provides the services described above, I'm sure they can sell you an uncut piece in (roughly) the size you need and in the color you want.

You might want to check what kind of adhesive is on it though - some of the stuff is for 'short-term' use and the adhesive isn't that strong, while other stuff is meant for prolonged out-door use (some foils have a seven year warranty). I'm just guessing, but the very durable (and expensive) stuff might just stick better to the paint than the paint sticks to the metal surface of your Nord. Pulling it off again might (partially) take off the paint.

If you want to use stuff like this, I'd read up on how to apply it to a surface; if done incorrectly, you can make a real mess of things. Being prepared (read up on things) should make a big difference.

Btw. I wonder how nice foil like this would look, since the surface of your Nord probably isn't very smooth (there seems to be some kind of texture in the paint). You might be able to heat it a bit with a hairdryer and than put pressure on it with something soft (like a cloth) to get it to follow the texture of the Nord's paint.
Last edited by mjbrands on 05 Jan 2013, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
jossand
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by jossand »

The good thing about the Electro is that the Cockpit is already dark-colored,
this way the design of the sticker is really easy to make. I only cut out the cockpit-square
for the Stage that's a whole lot tougher I guess.
This vinyl only cost me 4,30euro and is used for the back of an apple-notebook for example.
luckily the size was perfect. but they sell these stickers at webshops per meter for under 10euro's.

The nord is really nice and smooth to work on. The only odds on the panel are the words Nord and sixty one,
but those are not thick and you don't even notice them.

Big plus is that whenever I want to sell I can easily remove this (ofcourse I have tried that before putting it on)
Gustavo wrote:I actually want it in green as its my preferred color
and these stickers were available in Yellow, Green, Blue, White. Really all primair colors.