Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
ResonantMind
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Canada

Re: Nord Wave 2 introduced :)

Post by ResonantMind »

Mr_-G- wrote:
maurizio wrote: If they called it a NL A2, nobody would had complained.
I would not be so sure. The complainers seem to get more and more sophisticated all the time. :silent:
Or Clavia less and less sophisticated...
These users thanked the author ResonantMind for the post:
tsss27
musicaldudeist
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave
United States of America

Post by musicaldudeist »

Or, Clavia designed an instrument that will attract some new customers, lose some old customers and the earth will continue to spin just fine. :)
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

musicaldudeist wrote:Or, Clavia designed an instrument that will attract some new customers, lose some old customers and the earth will continue to spin just fine. :)
This is the most realistic option. I just preordered a Sequential Pro3 and can still afford another board with the rest of the money I was going to put towards this one, so that's a win in my book. I've said my piece regarding lack of features. I don't know if anyone from the company reads these forums but now that we've all gotten it out, there's little sense repeating it. Disappointing though the new synth may be for many, Nord is only one of dozens of synth companies making cool products these days. If the LFO expander does get ported over to Nord products there will almost certainly be more Wave 2's being sold, so just because Clavia may have failed expectations doesn't necessarily mean there's no hope full stop.
musicaldudeist
United States of America

Post by musicaldudeist »

One of the least canned videos of the Wave 2 so far...

https://youtu.be/GsLNu-oQWXA
These users thanked the author musicaldudeist for the post (total 2):
tsss27, dmamfmgm
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
ResonantMind
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Canada

Post by ResonantMind »

musicaldudeist wrote:One of the least canned videos of the Wave 2 so far...

https://youtu.be/GsLNu-oQWXA
Too bad they didn't allow for the 'Layers' volumes to be a modulation destination - this would have to some effect emulated the Osc Mix modulation destination on the Wave 1 which was a signature feature. It looks like the only way to change the balance of the layers is by hand like an organ draw bar which takes your fingers off the keys - whereas with a synth - you expect to program these things. Imagine being able to Mod Envelope each layers volume so that they rise in volume offset from one another. Lots of missed potential on this unit, oh well.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

Couldn't you also use a pedal or aftertouch to adjust the layer volumes? Not the same thing, but it does potentially keep your hands on the keys.
musicaldudeist
United States of America

Post by musicaldudeist »

ResonantMind wrote: Lots of missed potential on this unit, oh well.
Oh well. This doesn't sound like the instrument for you. I'm sorry you're disappointed with it. Based on what I've read of what you written so far, you'd be much better off sticking with the original Wave or finding another instrument that has the features you desire. I know that can be frustrating.

Me, I'm looking forward to finding out what I can do with it. :)
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

ah, the ikea of nords lol. The more I'm hearing about the lack of certain features, though speculative, the more I'm starting to think about something like a prophet X or something else, I'm not sure. best thing for me is waiting until these hit the UK, find a dealer carrying one, review it and then decide. I'm genuinely starting to notice that Nord aren't taking the right drugs lol. This is supposed to be a groundbreaking synth, instead it's limited in what it is being promised as. Really this should be an expanded wave with the features of the lead 4 and A1, but it's not., it's like the argos of synths (uk joke)

lew
tsss27
Patch Creator

Post by tsss27 »

LewTheKeysGuy wrote:ah, the ikea of nords lol. The more I'm hearing about the lack of certain features, though speculative, the more I'm starting to think about something like a prophet X or something else, I'm not sure. best thing for me is waiting until these hit the UK, find a dealer carrying one, review it and then decide. I'm genuinely starting to notice that Nord aren't taking the right drugs lol. This is supposed to be a groundbreaking synth, instead it's limited in what it is being promised as. Really this should be an expanded wave with the features of the lead 4 and A1, but it's not., it's like the argos of synths (uk joke)

lew
FYI, I have been in contact with someone at Sequential regarding the accessibility of the new Pro3, which seems to have a very similar layout to the Prophet X. The Pro3, excluding possibly some parts of the sequencer (which I don't need anyway) and a couple very particular mod matrix mappings, seems very useable once the hidden functions are understood. For example, take the mod matrix. If you wish to map a parameter to the expression pedal, you simply press source, move the pedal, press destination, adjust the knob you wish to control, then dial in the amount with the amount knob. Very easy. This even works with aftertouch and velocity!

Now, that is all about the Pro3, but as I said the overall interface appears to be very similar on the X. I suggest contacting Sequential with questions; the person I've been communicating with has been very helpful and straightforward. Yes, you can actually talk to people at Sequential direct, unlike Nord it seems.

As for the sampling aspect, a multisample can have up to 20 velocity layers. That is a huge advantage over the Wave. I am not sure how well the sample editor works for us blind users, but you can download to test. It's a 3rd party one, Lady Gaia's PX Toolkit. There's another one made by 8Dio but it is apparently not so good.

And the build quality of Sequential synths is very nice too... I had a Prophet6 and the keyboard felt fantastic. It also had the best feeling pitch wheel I've used, in that it was somehow easier for me to have precise control even with a larger bend range. I will have the Pro3 sometime in Febuary hopefully, so can give you some pointers on the overall interface; it obviously won't be exactly the same as they're different synths but hopefully it will give a good idea.
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

tsss27 wrote:
LewTheKeysGuy wrote:ah, the ikea of nords lol. The more I'm hearing about the lack of certain features, though speculative, the more I'm starting to think about something like a prophet X or something else, I'm not sure. best thing for me is waiting until these hit the UK, find a dealer carrying one, review it and then decide. I'm genuinely starting to notice that Nord aren't taking the right drugs lol. This is supposed to be a groundbreaking synth, instead it's limited in what it is being promised as. Really this should be an expanded wave with the features of the lead 4 and A1, but it's not., it's like the argos of synths (uk joke)

lew
FYI, I have been in contact with someone at Sequential regarding the accessibility of the new Pro3, which seems to have a very similar layout to the Prophet X. The Pro3, excluding possibly some parts of the sequencer (which I don't need anyway) and a couple very particular mod matrix mappings, seems very useable once the hidden functions are understood. For example, take the mod matrix. If you wish to map a parameter to the expression pedal, you simply press source, move the pedal, press destination, adjust the knob you wish to control, then dial in the amount with the amount knob. Very easy. This even works with aftertouch and velocity!

Now, that is all about the Pro3, but as I said the overall interface appears to be very similar on the X. I suggest contacting Sequential with questions; the person I've been communicating with has been very helpful and straightforward. Yes, you can actually talk to people at Sequential direct, unlike Nord it seems.

As for the sampling aspect, a multisample can have up to 20 velocity layers. That is a huge advantage over the Wave. I am not sure how well the sample editor works for us blind users, but you can download to test. It's a 3rd party one, Lady Gaia's PX Toolkit. There's another one made by 8Dio but it is apparently not so good.

And the build quality of Sequential synths is very nice too... I had a Prophet6 and the keyboard felt fantastic. It also had the best feeling pitch wheel I've used, in that it was somehow easier for me to have precise control even with a larger bend range. I will have the Pro3 sometime in Febuary hopefully, so can give you some pointers on the overall interface; it obviously won't be exactly the same as they're different synths but hopefully it will give a good idea.
I look forward to that very much. So, 20 layers to a multisample? ooh. beat that nord.

That's the thing with nord, people don't seem to realise that and they won't agree with me, Nords when it comes to sampling are basically modern mellotrons with a little extra thrown in, there's no sample morphing or synthesis like you'd find on Waldorf, Sequential, etc, it's more a sample player than serious synthesis.

yep, you and I both know how hard it is to get answers from Nord, they don't like talking. shame really.

The pro3 sounds nice, but I'm more a 61 key guy, I like working scope lol.

lew