NS3 Velocity and General Sound vs NS2

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
aureliopenna
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Brazil

Re: NS3 Velocity and General Sound vs NS2

Post by aureliopenna »

Hobster wrote:Unlikely that the basic guts of the Stage 3 is different for each or any of the 3 versions...
As I've already stated, I'm really happy with my NS3 Compact, but I do understand AP's points.
Even though I never had an NS2 of any description, I do still have (for a few days more) my Electro 5 to compare it with.
Bear in mind, I only really use the NS3 for gigging. I use plugins like Pianoteq, VB3, Lounge Lizard etc. for recording with.

- "Darker" Reverb section
it does seem a little 'darker' than the NE5, but it's not a problem for me.

- Eq that don't bring nothing expressive, just mid
a slightly different EQ perhaps, but still very useable as far as I'm concerned.

- less clavinet control
I'm used to that with the NE5. I'm sure it's a nuisance to some people but not to me.

- Hammond sound crispy and unnatural
My only real gripe with my NS3; The percussion is too loud in Normal mode and the Leslie sim is not quite right and does not have enough editable parameters.
Instead, I use the Soft percussion and turn all the drawbars down a bit and I also run the organ thru a Ventilator II; problems solved.

- Piano samples rhodes and wulis sound shallow and plastic
They don't seem to be quite as rich as they were back in the days of my Electro 2, but I still find them very useable.

- There is no velocity
Not sure what you mean here. As I've stated on other posts, I've no problem making the pianos (acoustic or electric) 'sing' with my NS3.
I really do love the response of the Stage 3 Compact's keyboard!

- Synth Velocity also it's bad funciontiong.
Don't use the synth an awful lot, so can't really comment.

To sum up, there are some people here who really like what Nord have done with the NS3 range and some who don't.
Just try one for an hour or two before deciding whether to buy or not and make up your own mind.
Yes, I hope Nord will iron out the few remaining issues (and I'm sure they will) that are talked about a lot on the forum like the Hammond/Leslie sim, some more velocity response curves on the 88 & 76 and the V3 Sample Editor, but for the time being I'm just going to carry on enjoying playing this magic instrument :)
Compared to Nord Stage 2 all itens that you have mentioned are even more different.

Velocity is there a dynamic too. But it's so far different from NS2.
It's ok, I agree. But only ok.
I'll try to play something in both keyboards using same samples and configuration. Not as a test but just people try to understand that I used to play music on NS2 but I just play notes on NS3.
Last edited by aureliopenna on 15 Jan 2018, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
Hobster
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand
Great Britain

Post by Hobster »

analogika wrote:
Hobster wrote:- Piano samples rhodes and wulis sound shallow and plastic
They don't seem to be quite as rich as they were back in the days of my Electro 2, but I still find them very useable.
Are you sure you didn’t mean to write "Stage 2”?

Because the Pianos — electric and acoustic — were a complete joke in the Electro 2. I still have mine.
The Rhodes worked okay if you distorted it to hell, but dry, it just sounded like a rubbery lump (though not as bad as the Wurlitzer, which was just embarrassingly bad). The acoustics were okay as sort of circus gimmicks — I offered an acoustic up once or twice and used it live for a ska band. But nowhere else, ever.
Yes, the acoustic pianos were attrocious, but I totally disagree about the Rhodes sounds!!
I used to play them all the time live and they felt and sounded wonderful to me (they went thru a PicoVerb to 'wet' them a bit).
Maybe not the most realistic Rhodes sound ever, but I could make it 'sing' (I use that term a lot, cos in the end it really is all about what you can do with an instrument).
Never used the Wurli back then; partly because I never used to play any Ian McLagan keys (I do now!), partly because, yes, they were pretty bad! :)
So really, my comment is more about the Rhodes samples rather than the Wurlis.
fjzingo
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4
Sweden

Post by fjzingo »

I agree as well wrt to the pianos, they were not that great. The rhodes, wurli and clavinet samples have overlapping equivalents in the stage series based on the same sampling session, i.e. Ep1-3, wurlitzer and clavinet. Wurlitzer and clavinet sounds exactly the same as the original nord electro as I remember it. Not sure how much the samples were enhanced with additional layers or noise samples for the stage series. Perhaps key off samples?

/Fredrik

Hobster wrote:
analogika wrote:
Hobster wrote:- Piano samples rhodes and wulis sound shallow and plastic
Are you sure you didn’t mean to write "Stage 2”?

Because the Pianos — electric and acoustic — were a complete joke in the Electro 2. I still have mine.
The Rhodes worked okay if you distorted it to hell, but dry, it just sounded like a rubbery lump (though not as bad as the Wurlitzer, which was just embarrassingly bad). The acoustics were okay as sort of circus gimmicks — I offered an acoustic up once or twice and used it live for a ska band. But nowhere else, ever.
Yes, the acoustic pianos were attrocious, but I totally disagree about the Rhodes sounds!!
I used to play them all the time live and they felt and sounded wonderful to me (they went thru a PicoVerb to 'wet' them a bit).
Maybe not the most realistic Rhodes sound ever, but I could make it 'sing' (I use that term a lot, cos in the end it really is all about what you can do with an instrument).
Never used the Wurli back then; partly because I never used to play any Ian McLagan keys (I do now!), partly because, yes, they were pretty bad! :)
So really, my comment is more about the Rhodes samples rather than the Wurlis.
solmaster
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Great Britain

Post by solmaster »

Hobster wrote:To sum up, there are some people here who really like what Nord have done with the NS3 range and some who don't.
Just try one for an hour or two before deciding whether to buy or not and make up your own mind.
Yes, I hope Nord will iron out the few remaining issues (and I'm sure they will) that are talked about a lot on the forum like the Hammond/Leslie sim, some more velocity response curves on the 88 & 76 and the V3 Sample Editor, but for the time being I'm just going to carry on enjoying playing this magic instrument :)
Fully agree with this mate!
These users thanked the author solmaster for the post:
Hobster
aureliopenna
Brazil

Post by aureliopenna »

What´s up guys, here I am with more recordings :crazy:
I´m not trying to be scientific or prove anything on these ones, but my intention is to reproduce some differences between NS2 and NS3 BOTH COMPACTS as I feel it.

Here two recordings that shows the EQ of both keyboards IN ACTION.
I Played the same MIDI file from DAW on both keyboards that I´ve previouly recorded using the NS3 and listening it´s sound as reference, using the same samples, same parameters on both keyboars max volume. Then, as the recording was playing I turned the eq knobs on both at the same time, trying to reach the same eq db levels on both at the same time. (maybe have some minor different during the rolling, because I did manually, but stoping always on 15db up or above, or 0 at the same time)
WARNING: Could crash frequencies on some speakers.

The first one is Steel Guitar from library starting with all eq setting on -15b and increasing high, mid, low, till 0db then tweaking to Max 15db and turning back.
sort of it

Another one is Egrand Piano Mono Sml from library doing some eq tweaking too. (not exactly the same from Guitar, but the same changes at the same time)
Attachments
Egrand 3 Mono sml NS3.mp3
(7.94 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Egrand 3 Mono sml NS2.mp3
(7.94 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
Steel Guitar Eq run NS3.mp3
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
Steel Guitar Eq run NS2.mp3
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by aureliopenna on 15 Jan 2018, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.
aureliopenna
Brazil

Post by aureliopenna »

Comparison Between NS2 and NS3. Piano Queen Bosendorfer Lrg. Sorry for the wrong notes :thumbdown: just played something that Ididn't played for decades... :P
Same way MIDI recorded on NS3 and played through DAW on Both Keyboards.
No Fx. No Eq.
Which one you like most?
Leave your comments!
Attachments
Queen Upright Bosendorfer lrg NS3.mp3
(6.11 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
Queen Upright Bosendorfer lrg NS2.mp3
(6.11 MiB) Downloaded 152 times
Last edited by aureliopenna on 15 Jan 2018, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

aureliopenna wrote: MIDI recorded on NS3 and played through DAW on Both Keyboards.
There has been conversation about the NS3 not responding properly to velocities received over MIDI, possibly fixed in a recent update. See the thread at http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage ... 13962.html

Do you have the newest software installed?

Besides hearing how they play MIDI files, it would be interesting to hear recordings of you actually playing the piece (recording the audio live), on both the NS2 and the NS3, to rule out any such MIDI issue. That way the results would literally be "this is what it sounds like when I play it on the NS2 vs. when I play it on the NS3." On both instruments, in terms of dynamics, you may find yourself playing the piece subtly differently based on the feedback you're getting from the instrument in real time. In theory, each should then be presented at its best.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by analogika »

I'm having a deja vu of a deja vu.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
be lee vit
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
aureliopenna
Brazil

Post by aureliopenna »

anotherscott wrote:
aureliopenna wrote: MIDI recorded on NS3 and played through DAW on Both Keyboards.
There has been conversation about the NS3 not responding properly to velocities received over MIDI, possibly fixed in a recent update. See the thread at http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage ... 13962.html

Do you have the newest software installed?

Besides hearing how they play MIDI files, it would be interesting to hear recordings of you actually playing the piece (recording the audio live), on both the NS2 and the NS3, to rule out any such MIDI issue. That way the results would literally be "this is what it sounds like when I play it on the NS2 vs. when I play it on the NS3." On both instruments, in terms of dynamics, you may find yourself playing the piece subtly differently based on the feedback you're getting from the instrument in real time. In theory, each should then be presented at its best.
I could do this too, but it couldn't be exactly the same thing. O "eq" post, I couldn't do that because I have to manipule eq settings while it is playing.

I will try to play something in one keyboard, and then try to play something close on the other.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

aureliopenna wrote:I will try to play something in one keyboard, and then try to play something close on the other.
That would be interesting to hear. Do the two boards have the same kinds of actions (i.e. are they both 88 Hammer Action or whatever)?

And getting back to the other point, if you don't have the newest software loaded into your NS3, it could also be interesting to hear the NS3 results again if you play the same MIDI file into the NS3 updated to current.