NS3 Velocity and General Sound vs NS2

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: NS3 Velocity and General Sound vs NS2

Post by analogika »

It seems that the three people unhappy with the dynamics are making a ... disproportionate amount of noise. (Pun intended)
These users thanked the author analogika for the post (total 4):
baekgaard, Hobster, tomzi, RichardG
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Denmark

Post by baekgaard »

analogika wrote:It seems that the three people unhappy with the dynamics are making a ... disproportionate amount of noise. (Pun intended)
:-)

As for the models in question, I agree (thanks @ciciss and @Hobster for pointing it out) that it looks like @aureliopenna indeed has the compact model -- it's just that the discussion on this topics is now spread across a substantial amount of threads dealing with different topics and problems and contexts, so I guess I just lost track. I would have assumed that if it is a velocity issue it would definitely not be the same problem on all 3 versions... and I'm still not sure if those that are not happy have the same version or even if the problem they describe is the same...
Copia
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1
United States of America

Post by Copia »

Curious if I've been swept away by the marketing of my beautiful, new red keyboard (and its predecessor), I pulled out my RD-800 last night to play them side-by-side. It is my previous love and the best action I've played on a digital stage piano. My first thought was this action is far superior to the NS3 88, and the velocity (I had created -- because you can do that on an RD-800) so dynamic. But I increased the mids and trebles in the effects section of the NS3, discovered one can change the velocity of the synth section (slow learner I guess -- bottom right button in synth section), and continued playing in both piano and synth programs to compare intangibles (that elusive "feel").

I was struck by the beauty of each instrument. How expressive each is through the Yamaha HS8 speakers in my studio. I realized I would be perfectly happy playing piano on either. And as I continued to play, although both were expressive and inspiring, I found myself sitting at the NS3 longer. Something about it continued to call me. Perhaps it was the versatility of punching in a B3 over any program at a high point of expression.

Admittedly, the reason I am leaving all other DSPs behind is I'm not purely a piano player, but a sound designer and creative architect of any genre I can take on. What I see in popular music today is a wealth of interesting sounds, far beyond what solely playing piano can offer (but I'm not knocking it -- for some piano is everything, and I don't blame them for recognizing this beauty). So the versatility the NS instrument offers me, sound-wise as well as ergonomics, is far more than I've found elsewhere. It doesn't have the ridiculously dynamic transition from pp to ff as the RD-800, but it pulls off these dynamics with elegance and grace (my experience is not more valid than anyone else's but that is mine). And while I may have an itch to play those super responsive keys on the RD-800 again, I left last night at peace with selling it.

Everything I need and love is in the NS3. Sure, others may offer exceptional parts, some may even surpass one individual part, but none come close to the whole. And there's always that Fender Strat to buy with the difference.
These users thanked the author Copia for the post (total 3):
baekgaard, Hobster, solmaster
analogika
Germany

Post by analogika »

Copia wrote:one can change the velocity of the synth section (slow learner I guess -- bottom right button in synth section)
…and of course the bottom left for the modulation envelope, which can be velocity-controlled as well and routed to oscillator mod, AND, independently, the filter can be velocity-controlled, as well (via the "Vel - Mod Env" pot, which either allows direct velocity control or control by the velocity-controlled mod envelope).

It's pretty deep for looking so simple. :)
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
Copia
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

baekgaard wrote:it's just that the discussion on this topics is now spread across a substantial amount of threads dealing with different topics and problems and contexts, so I guess I just lost track.
Ditto. I think there are two main (possibly distinct, but possibly related) issues in discussions of how velocity affects the sound... one is that some people think the NS2 sounds better than the NS3 when each is played from its own action (not a universal opinion by any means, and I think those who do think this are specifically talking about the 88 key versions?); and the other is that the NS3 may be behaving sub-optimally (and again possibly differently from the NS2) when responding to being played from an external keyboard over MIDI.
Last edited by anotherscott on 14 Jan 2018, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
aureliopenna
Brazil

Post by aureliopenna »

Ok guys my NS3 is the compact 73 SW.

What is my guess? It has the same engine of nord electro 5D. Maybe the problem is there. But NS3 (at least compact model) doesn't sound not even close to the NS2.
In my ONLY opinion listen it on a Studio enviroment.
- Darker Reverb section
- Eq that don't bring nothing expressive, just mid
- less clavinet control
- Hammond sound crispy and unnatural
- Piano samples rhodes and wulis sound shallow and plastic
- There is no velocity
- Synth Velocity also it's bad funciontiong.

This is just me ok .
derrellpiper
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3
United States of America

Post by derrellpiper »

Well, I suppose it's possible that Stage 3 only means this generation and each of the three configurations is its own beast. My remarks have to do with the 88 HA. I've never seen any of the others. I luff luff luff mine.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
aureliopenna
Brazil

Post by aureliopenna »

Could be, Coulb be.
Hobster
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand
Great Britain

Post by Hobster »

Unlikely that the basic guts of the Stage 3 is different for each or any of the 3 versions...
As I've already stated, I'm really happy with my NS3 Compact, but I do understand AP's points.
Even though I never had an NS2 of any description, I do still have (for a few days more) my Electro 5 to compare it with.
Bear in mind, I only really use the NS3 for gigging. I use plugins like Pianoteq, VB3, Lounge Lizard etc. for recording with.

- Darker Reverb section
it does seem a little 'darker' than the NE5, but it's not a problem for me.

- Eq that don't bring nothing expressive, just mid
a slightly different EQ perhaps, but still very useable as far as I'm concerned.

- less clavinet control
I'm used to that with the NE5. I'm sure it's a nuisance to some people but not to me.

- Hammond sound crispy and unnatural
My only real gripe with my NS3; The percussion is too loud in Normal mode and the Leslie sim is not quite right and does not have enough editable parameters.
Instead, I use the Soft percussion and turn all the drawbars down a bit and I also run the organ thru a Ventilator II; problems solved.

- Piano samples rhodes and wulis sound shallow and plastic
They don't seem to be quite as rich as they were back in the days of my Electro 2, but I still find them very useable.

- There is no velocity
Not sure what you mean here. As I've stated on other posts, I've no problem making the pianos (acoustic or electric) 'sing' with my NS3.
I really do love the response of the Stage 3 Compact's keyboard!

- Synth Velocity also it's bad funciontiong.
Don't use the synth an awful lot, so can't really comment.

To sum up, there are some people here who really like what Nord have done with the NS3 range and some who don't.
Just try one for an hour or two before deciding whether to buy or not and make up your own mind.
Yes, I hope Nord will iron out the few remaining issues (and I'm sure they will) that are talked about a lot on the forum like the Hammond/Leslie sim, some more velocity response curves on the 88 & 76 and the V3 Sample Editor, but for the time being I'm just going to carry on enjoying playing this magic instrument :)
Last edited by Hobster on 14 Jan 2018, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Hobster for the post:
solmaster
analogika
Germany

Post by analogika »

Hobster wrote:- Piano samples rhodes and wulis sound shallow and plastic
They don't seem to be quite as rich as they were back in the days of my Electro 2, but I still find them very useable.
Are you sure you didn’t mean to write "Stage 2”?

Because the Pianos — electric and acoustic — were a complete joke in the Electro 2. I still have mine.
The Rhodes worked okay if you distorted it to hell, but dry, it just sounded like a rubbery lump (though not as bad as the Wurlitzer, which was just embarrassingly bad). The acoustics were okay as sort of circus gimmicks — I offered an acoustic up once or twice and used it live for a ska band. But nowhere else, ever.