Issue with Nord stage I, MOTU Midi interface and cubase

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
mjbrands

Re: Issue with Nord stage I, MOTU Midi interface and cubase

Post by mjbrands »

How is the MOTU configured. I looked at the manual of the thing on the MOTU site and it seems you can do quite complex things with it.

So you can filter in- and outgoing events, route them between different MIDI ports (but the computer is also a valid destination/source) and change the channels in MIDI data. Plenty of stuff that can cause issues. 8-)

According to the manual you use an application called 'Clockworks' to set up and configure the MOTU itself.

Could you verify what preset you are using? Is it one of the factory presets (if so, which one), is it perhaps a user preset? If it is a user preset, how is it set up?

The following image is from the manual.

It shows the channel mapping that can be done. In this case it applies to input on MIDI port 1; channel 1 gets changed to channel 1 (so unchanged), channel 2 gets changed to channel 2 (so unchanged), ... and channel 16 gets changed to 16 (so unchanged). You could however set the channel (after the mapping, so the green box in the horizontal row of 16 dots) to the first dot (channel 1) in every case. If I understand it correctly, then data coming in on any channel gets mapped to channel 1 (so to your computer it would appear as if it is only receiving data on channel 1).

I'm sure you could set up filtering too, so that only data on channel X would pass thru the MOTU, while all other data would simply be ignored.

Regarding your older iMac: I don't think that matters, it think it has nothing to do with the issue you're seeing.
Last edited by mjbrands on 18 Jan 2013, 18:10, edited 3 times in total.
Quai34
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Canada

Post by Quai34 »

Hi,
I tried to send you a message because I didn't see the second page and so, didn't see your reply....
In the manual it was said on page 27 that the Motu midi espress cannot support clockworks that's why I didn't have a look at it...and it was said that if all I wanted to do is to use it with a midi sequencer without making any changes, i didN,t even need to run clockworks...but I will have a look at it as I know that it was automatically downloaded into my Imac when i ran the instalation CD...so, I will let you know if it could solve my issue.
Bye thanks
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34
Canada

Post by Quai34 »

Oups by the way, I have the midi express 128, not the midi express XT, the 128 doenn't support the clockwork utility as per the manual....but will figure out tomorrow
bye
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34
Canada

Post by Quai34 »

Hi all,
Just to let you know that I solved the issue thansk a lot for your help, in fact, only one midi cable was wired in reverse order but the most impostant issue came from the fact taht my USB HUB was not powered...meaning that there were enough current to dirve the lights on my MOTU interface and the NSII telling me that the midi was going through but not enough to play the notes....so becarefull, always use a Powered USB Hub if you use one with your midi interface...
Bye
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

Pesky USB hub! Glad you got is solved and reported back about the cause. :-)