Sustain pedal via MIDI problem

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Italy

Re: Sustain pedal via MIDI problem

Post by maxpiano »

changearound wrote: 17 May 2024, 17:33
maxpiano wrote: 17 May 2024, 08:05 Good, of course in this way you won't be able to use Half Pedaling on the RD88 (on NE6 it wouldn't be supported in any case, so probably for your setup this is not an issue)

Anyway I think it is better also to explain why I suggested that; basically the starting point is that RD88 was not sending the sustain MIDI CC64 = 0 when the pedal was not pressed and this can be due mainly to 2 typical reasons:

1) incorrect pedal type setup on RD88 (unless it has some auto-detect function, probably you have to set it explicitly in its Global menu or something like that)

2) DP10 pot not reaching 0 value when pedal not pressed (it can happen, you can check it with a multimeter or just a MIDI Monitor app; fixing is about adjusting it mechanically)

So, in case you want to go back and use DP10 in Continuous mode you should check both points above :)
It may not require a cc64 value of 0 to turn off sustain. I don't have an Electro 6 to check but on my Stage EX cc64 0-63 = sustain off and cc64-127 = sustain on.

What I think may be happening is that when the DP10 is in cc mode, the Electro is being bombarded with a continuous stream of midi data as the pedal is depressed and released when it is expecting a simple on off message. The Electro can't cope with the data overload and gets stuck with sustain on.
Yes @changearound it could also be like that, I wanted to keep it simple, anyway it was just one of the possible reasons but finally setting the DP10 as switch is the best way to get rid of any headache, in that setup ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 May 2024, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.