Need a cheap, lightweight Nord-like board? CK88....

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
dansnord
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
United States of America

Re: Need a cheap, lightweight Nord-like board? CK88....

Post by dansnord »

tsss27 wrote:I've not played the CK, but I own an YC61, and am actually replacing my Nord Stage 4 with that and the Wave 2 as I prefer separate boards.
The YC has, in my opinion, better Rhodes than the Nord. The Stockholm was a big step forward in this regard but there are a couple of the ones on the Yamaha that outclass any of Nord's offerings in my opinion. The organ and Leslie (with the latest update) are excellent. The Leslie sounds more alive and 3D than Nord's does...but for a long time I had written this board off for organ due to the Leslie sim it came with on release, which is horrible! Yamaha fixed that issue big time. To be clear Nord's Leslie is still pro to my ears. I just like something about the new Yamaha one even more.
The acoustic pianos are surprisingly varied and some have a lot of character. Nord obviously has a wider variety in this area, plus better pedal-down resonance by far. But not every piano in this sounds "too perfect" as most Yamaha samples do to me. The felt, Nashville and Upright are all nice character pianos, and the C7 and Steinway are very nice for something more mainstream.

Effects are a lot more variable than Nord, as there are many more types on offer. There are 4 or 5 choruses alone, same number of phasers etc.

There are many things a Nord can do which the Yamaha cannot...but I have other boards for those things. For me the YC was a great investment.
All good information. However, the CK is a very different instrument than the YC. Half the price. Lighter. Ironically more feature-rich in some areas like onboard speakers and Bluetooth audio in. We certainly have great options these days! But for me, the CK is an awesome travel companion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk