Changing patches in MainStage w/ footswitch

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
Shmerl86
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Great Britain

Changing patches in MainStage w/ footswitch

Post by Shmerl86 »

I want to connect a footswtich to my Nord Stage (1st Gen) to use to change patches in MainStage.

Where would I connect such a switch? Is it to the control pedal input at the back of the keyboard? Would that send a MIDI signal to MainStage I could use to map for patch switching? I am considering buying a Boss FS-5U unlatched footswtich. Would this work?

I am using the first generation Nord Stage to control MainStage (3.6.6) via MIDI to USB-C cable. I use a 2023 MacBook Pro running macOS Ventura (13.6.7).

Thank you in advance everyone
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Changing patches in MainStage w/ footswitch

Post by FZiegler »

I don't see the reason why you would want to connect a footswitch that is meant to control the computer to the Nord instead.

Connect it to the computer directly! Which means that you should a USB or BT switch. If you want to use a Boss FS-5U, you can connect it to an AirTurn Digital BT200 which allows to connect 2 standard switches with TS or TRS (somehow up to 4 single switch - I don't know how). Connects with any Bluetooth 4+ device. I'm not sure if you can get Mainstage to react to that key command, though (isn't mentioned on the compatibility list).

On your original Nord Stage, you may be able to use the Extern section (if it has one) to send MIDI PC (program change) commands while switching program on the Stage itself, but I don't think that you can connect any foot switch for that purpose.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator
Germany

Post by FZiegler »

Sorry, my idea with the switch being connected to the computer doesn't seem to work that way. You should look into USB MIDI controllers instead for the computer.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Better look for a native USB or Bluetooth MIDI switch pedal for that use, example M-Wave Chocolate BT