Control NS3 organ with MODX? Set up midi?

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
amgems22

Control NS3 organ with MODX? Set up midi?

Post by amgems22 »

Because inherent problems playing organ on the NS3 HP76, I'd like to use my MODX+ to control the Nord organ sounds.

Can you post a link to describe the setup process for this, especially on the Nord receiving end, and accessing specific organ sounds from the Yamaha MODX

I've seen many references to using the Nord ext. section, but none specifically addressing the MODX to Nord hookup.

Thanks
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Control NS3 organ with MODX? Set up midi?

Post by Schorsch »

Hello,

one way is to setup different midi channels for Panel A and B, then use the organ on one of these panels only and setup the MODX to the midi channel of that panel by which you should be able to play the organ engine of the NS3 from the MODX keybed.

There is a section in the NS3 manual which describes it, see from page 50 and specifically page 51: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/de ... on%20N.pdf
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
amgems22

Post by amgems22 »

Appreciate the feedback.

Will work on these settings and see if I can connect.

Thank you for responding.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

amgems22 wrote: 26 May 2024, 22:49 Appreciate the feedback.

Check in particular about the DualKB function on NS3 manual and on The Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial, the rest is about configuring the MoDX to send on the appropriate MIDI Channel (so take a look also at MoDX manual and settings for controlling external HW)
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by Schorsch »

maxpiano wrote: 27 May 2024, 08:04
amgems22 wrote: 26 May 2024, 22:49 Appreciate the feedback.

Check in particular about the DualKB function on NS3 manual and on The Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial, the rest is about configuring the MoDX to send on the appropriate MIDI Channel (so take a look also at MoDX manual and settings for controlling external HW)
Yes, DualKB is probably the easiest option, see page 28 and 29 of the manual. It affects Panel B only though (all or just one specific sound engine), but that should do the job
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
FZiegler
Donator
Germany

Post by FZiegler »

In my eyes, it could be quite important to be able to set the MoDX's keyboard to 'upper sensor' playing - enabling a fixed-velocity key-on command already when the first sensor is hit. No need for velocity calculation between the first and the second sensor.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote: 27 May 2024, 16:09 In my eyes, it could be quite important to be able to set the MoDX's keyboard to 'upper sensor' playing - enabling a fixed-velocity key-on command already when the first sensor is hit. No need for velocity calculation between the first and the second sensor.
That is rarely supported on non-Hammond-clones keyboards, but in the end is not such a big limitation (considering you are anyway playing a synth action, not a waterfall)
amgems22

Post by amgems22 »

I'd like to have only ONE MODX+ Performance to control the Nord, and all the other Performances to only play internally. This performance would be the only one accessed to play the Ext.(Nord Stage3 76)

Have been reaching a road block.....
To prevent all other MOX Performances from sending Midi out, ........Zone Master needs to be "off' to do this

When you then go to Program edit (for the one new program I'll call "PlayEXternal)" to try to set the Midi out info, there are NO Zone tabs. I"m not sure if there is a work around here, without having to turn Zone Master on and off depending if I want to play the external keyboard.

Ideas?
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

amgems22 wrote: 28 May 2024, 14:29 I'd like to have only ONE MODX+ Performance to control the Nord, and all the other Performances to only play internally. This performance would be the only one accessed to play the Ext.(Nord Stage3 76)

Have been reaching a road block.....
To prevent all other MOX Performances from sending Midi out, ........Zone Master needs to be "off' to do this

When you then go to Program edit (for the one new program I'll call "PlayEXternal)" to try to set the Midi out info, there are NO Zone tabs. I"m not sure if there is a work around here, without having to turn Zone Master on and off depending if I want to play the external keyboard.

Ideas?
That's a MoDX side issue, better check about it here https://yamahasynth.com/community/modx- ... thesizers/ or maybe you can find some specific tutorial here https://yamahasynth.com/category/modx-s ... thesizers/ (until some NUF forumer with the same setup may come in your help :-) )
amgems22

Post by amgems22 »

I discovered ONE PROBLEM

On the MODX in the Utility >Edit mode. On MIDI I&O I had inadvertently lighted the MIDI THRU icon. Turning that off FIXED the problem!! .

I now have one designated Performance patch on the MODX to play whatever Program I choose on the Nord (and I can play the Nord simultaneously,if I choose!)

The initial issue was the difficulty playing Hammond style organ on the Stage 3 76 , which of course had simulated weighted keys.
THANKS ALL!