Stage 4 - all effects are mono when rotary speaker is on

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4
Germany

Stage 4 - all effects are mono when rotary speaker is on

Post by Nordlicht »

When playing organ, I have noticed that all other layer effects are only in mono when the Rotary Speaker Simulation is switched on.
Is this a bug or is it intentional?

You can clearly hear the difference with the Booth and Room Reverb or the Vibe FX, for example.
In other words, I can't hear the simulated Leslie in the same reverb spaces in which I can hear pianos or synths.
Of course, the Leslie simulation is stereo (but unfortunately we can't adjust the spreading/width), but I would like to add the usual (stereo) layer effects/reverbs to this Leslie.

I find this a major limitation.
These users thanked the author Nordlicht for the post:
Rhodesclmk2
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Stage 4 - all effects are mono when rotary speaker is on

Post by FZiegler »

Wasn't the reverb on a Stage 4 pre-Leslie again? While it was post-Leslie on NS3?

Which of course means two things: You can use a spring reverb at exactly the place it needs to be; and the rest of internal reverbs is of no use when playing with rotary simulation and you need an external reverb for ambient sound.

Which should be different for the other effects, but I'm not so sure about that.
Last edited by FZiegler on 03 Mar 2024, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
Nordlicht
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4
Germany

Post by Nordlicht »

FZiegler wrote:Wasn't the reverb on a Stage 4 pre-Leslie again? While it was post-Leslie on NS3?

Which of course means two things: You can use a spring reverb at exactly the place it needs to be; and the rest of internal reverbs is of no use when playing with rotary simulation and you need an external reverb for ambient sound.

Which should be different for the other effects, but I'm not so sure about that.
Yes, it seems to be like you describe. All reverbs (and other effects) are pre-Leslie.
As you are writing, whereas the spring reverb makes sense in this order, all "normal" reverb effects should be post-Leslie (meaning: the Leslie stands in a Booth, Room, Stage, Hall, Cathedral).

So, it's either a bug or a bad design - both isn't funny for a "flagship".
These users thanked the author Nordlicht for the post:
Rhodesclmk2
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Rhodesclmk2
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5
Italy

Post by Rhodesclmk2 »

I tried to contact Nord in order to fix it! you're right.. not a sense to have pre hall or cathedral before leslie!
These users thanked the author Rhodesclmk2 for the post:
Nordlicht
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Post by WannitBBBad »

Rhodesclmk2 wrote: 26 May 2024, 00:36 I tried to contact Nord in order to fix it! you're right.. not a sense to have pre hall or cathedral before leslie!
Unfortunately it's by design just like the Stage 3. It doesn't make sense except for the spring reverb as you mention. Similarly, it doesn't make sense that the reverb and delay effects are pre-fader on the Stage 4, unlike previous Stage models.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by analogika »

WannitBBBad wrote: 26 May 2024, 11:04
Rhodesclmk2 wrote: 26 May 2024, 00:36 I tried to contact Nord in order to fix it! you're right.. not a sense to have pre hall or cathedral before leslie!
Unfortunately it's by design just like the Stage 3. It doesn't make sense except for the spring reverb as you mention.
Yes, it would be great if only the spring reverb mode were routed pre-Leslie. But then, I'd prefer the DELAY to be routed pre-Leslie, as well — but only the Space Echo mode (which is my analog setup — Hammond + ARP Odyssey —> Space Echo delay w/ spring reverb —> Leslie).

But since not everybody will want that for their delay (including you), we're at the point where you'd really need to allow a routing decision PER EFFECT MODE — or just make a basic design decision and have people live with it.

We see which option Clavia went for.
WannitBBBad wrote: 26 May 2024, 11:04 Similarly, it doesn't make sense that the reverb and delay effects are pre-fader on the Stage 4, unlike previous Stage models.
This, in fact, does make technical sense, since it's actually the same way it was on the Stage 3 and previous: the effects are per-slot. Muting the slot/panel instantly mutes the effects as well (including reverb/delay tails).

It's just that on the Stage 4, every instrument engine is its own slot/panel.
In previous machines, each instrument on a slot/panel had a gain pot, and the slot/panel itself only having the option to mute/unmute (on/off),
In the Stage 4, they turned the on/off switch for each slot/panel into a volume slider and removed the individual instruments' gain.

This allowed them to reuse the panel architecture they already had, rather than developing the whole thing from scratch.

They could have kept the pre-FX instrument gain as on the Stage 3, PLUS the slot mute, but then it gets really weird and complex with allowing effects to affect, say, only two out of the three synth engines, but still keeping the third engine active.

The balance they've struck is confusing enough as it is.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio